Hillary Announces

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 10:20 AM
RE: Hillary Announces
A friend of mine posted this article on Facebook and it actually made sense to me.

A crappy Democrat is going to be better than any Republican, in my honest opinion. And it's been stated over and over again that Warren will not run, as much as many would like her to. But she's probably better suited for the Senate anyway. We need her voice there.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post
24-04-2015, 11:13 AM
(24-04-2015 10:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 09:20 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm starting to think this foreign investment into the Clinton Foundation may actually ruin her. The New York Times came just shy of accusing her of taking bribes. Not Fox News or Rush Limbaugh. The New York Fucking Times. At minimum, they are questioning her honesty and judgement.

I don't think this is going away so easily. The stink of this may follow her into the primaries.

The Dems really need to choose someone else. She is possibly defeatable by the least crazy Republitard.

They need to draft Senator Warren or Secretary of State John Kerry or Senator Kirsten Gillibrand.

I'm not certain of that, because the only seemingly possible winning least crazy repubitard is Jeb Bush... and that would be a shitstorm of an election that I think we might need to finally adjust something.

In hypothetical if John Huntsman ran again and stood any chance of winning the GOP nom, which he doesn't, he would be the least crazy man who could win over many on both sides, but he's not conservative enough for them.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-04-2015, 11:17 AM
(20-04-2015 01:07 PM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  I would totally vote third party if I knew a good majority would. People have been saying to vote third party for years and I really do think people want to, but they back out out of fear that it'll backfire on them and it would be all for nothing.

Or they just don't vote because they don't think their vote counts for anything.

An election is not a horse race: you don't get a jackpot for picking the winner, you don't forfeit your stake if you choice loses.

How do you expect to build a majority if you're going to wait for a majority to coalesce? Vote your conscience, hope that each cycle more people do the same, and perhaps change can happen.

Voting for either party because everyone else does can only have one outcome, and that is the preservation of the status quo. And that is not a viable option if this country is to have a better future.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
20-11-2016, 05:03 AM
Hah....

I knew I said this, once upon a time....

Nailed it.... (see original post)

(and don't quibble about the popular vote --- that doesn't count -- it never has -- and if it bothered everybody we'd change it...)

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
20-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Another thread full of comedy gold.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
03-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Necropost.

I told you so.

Just thought it' d be fun to say so -

That and to clarify my comment of Trumph being the corner fence post. ( that people would rather vote for, than Hillary.)

03-06-2018, 06:00 PM
(13-04-2015 06:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do I think she's (Hillary) got a chance?

I reckoned on her having a chance; in fact a very real chance. Although from Downunder, it's difficult to "feel" the pulse of a nation's population in any real, media-undistorted way. And people like Rupert Murdoch (and Packer) invariably distort our drip-fed Aussie news to suit his ulterior corporatist machinations.

Quote:Nope. None whatsoever.

In this you were demonstrably wrong. Hillary actually got 2.9 million more popular votes than Trump. It's only because of the outmoded US Electoral College system that Trump won. If the US utilised the more democratic preferential voting system, Hillary would've pissed it in. So it's fair to say that Trump won by default, relying solely on the 200+ year old legislative mechanism which inherently denies the one-person one-vote principle of a true democracy.

It's also possible to achieve the requisite 270 number College votes with a win in only 11 of the fifty states, or 22% of the overall popular vote (a majority in the 39 smallest states plus the District of Columbia). Which is obviously undemocratic.

Quote: IF she gets the party's nomination - it will guarantee a ( R) win in November.

Not exactly a good guess: Hillary did get the Dem's nomination, and it didn't necessarily "guarantee" a Rep's win at the time. In fact, exit polls on the day of the election predicted 285 number College votes for Clinton, versus 213 for Trump, with 40 fence-sitters.
So even if Trump had won all of those fence-sitters, Clinton would be president. It does however, admittedly, prove just how undemocratic the US political system really is.

Australia employs preferential voting, described simply as a system of voting in which voters indicate their first, second, and lower choices of several candidates for the office of Prime Minister. If no candidate receives a majority, the second choices are added to the first choices until one candidate has a majority. It generally works well, although it can lead to some cross-party "trading" for preferences.

Quote:The country is about 50/50 ( R) + ( D). (Recent elections prove this to be if not correct, close enough to be considered very telling)

Agreed. But the only way this is "telling" is to confirm the unknown nature of any/all presidential votes—despite your confidence of a Trump win.

Quote:A fair share—probably at least 40 percent of the ( D)'s will never vote for her—for a variety of reasons...

90 percent (or so) of the ( R)'s hate her with a vengeance. Her being on the ballot would cause the biggest surge of ( R) voting in years.

I couldn't find any confirmation of these claims. (I'd dismiss the former outright, and question the latter.) So... Citations please.

—Some of the main things I took away from the 2016 election were the historical inconsistencies and idiosyncrasies of the voters from both sides.  Blink

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
03-06-2018, 06:32 PM
(03-06-2018 06:00 PM)SYZ Wrote:  In this you were demonstrably wrong. Hillary actually got 2.9 million more popular votes than Trump. It's only because of the outmoded US Electoral College system that Trump won. If the US utilised the more democratic preferential voting system, Hillary would've pissed it in. So it's fair to say that Trump won by default, relying solely on the 200+ year old legislative mechanism which inherently denies the one-person one-vote principle of a true democracy.
The US is not, nor has it ever been, a democracy and for good reason.

Kneel mortal before Whiskey I, Lord of Dalmore, Duke of Jameson, Defender of the Sloshed, and God-Emperor of Holy Terra.
03-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Syz

You sound like the Captain of the Titanic.

" Remain calm. This ship is UNSINKABLE!!"

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-06-2018, 07:58 PM
(03-06-2018 06:32 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  The US is not, nor has it ever been, a democracy and for good reason.

Maybe I should've said alleged democracy, like Australia. Our government, both at state and federal levels, is driven by the corporatists.

The first thing any nation loses under democracy is democracy itself.

Our prime minister Malcolm Turnbull earns $528,000 per annum; Donald Trump earns $400,000. And Lady Gaga "earns" $59,000,000 per annum.
Can anybody see what's wrong with this? True democracy is worth far, far less than pop music notoriety? Fuck me.   No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.