Hillary, More Honest Than All Her Opponents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2016, 04:17 PM
RE: Hillary, More Honest Than All Her Opponents
Fact-checking the fact-checkers shows that their headline is only "Half True". There's no such thing as perfect objective truth, especially when a second party with their own aggenda is evaluating it. Once you aggregate the "True" and "Mostly True" and "False" and "Mostly False" categories to account for this you see that Clinton and Sanders are equally honest given the uncertainties in just the small number of statements examined. Trump is least honest followed in close to last by Cruz. Big shock there.

So Clinton isn't more honest than all her opponents, just Trump and Cruz. Talk about a back-handed compliment.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
01-04-2016, 04:20 PM
(01-04-2016 05:10 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  That's a whole lot like saying Moe was the brainiest of the Three Stooges....................

edit to add...

I just got my first cup of coffee - and realize it's April Fool's day..................

I think I've been had.............

Big Grin

Hillary or Bernie are not stupid and I am really getting tired of the "libertarians" and republicans bullshit slurs. This is NOT about them this is about the direction of this country and the obstructionists on the right holding the country hostage.

The idiots are those voting for Mein Drumpf or Ted Cruz.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2016, 07:07 PM
(01-04-2016 04:00 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 03:57 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Well, that whole "landing under fire" thing irks me.

"Utterly misremembering something at 20 years remove" is hardly a sin. It's an inevitability of our godawful brains. Every single person I've ever known - myself included - has bigged up anecdotes in the retelling. Without intending to. Because that's how human beings are...

Well, "bigging up an anecdote" is one thing. Remembering something as godawful as someone trying to kill you when such was obviously not the case is not to my view simply a matter of faulty memory, or even gilding the lily. I know my experiences count for little, but in the times I have not been in a life-and-death situation, I've not once misremembered something like people trying to kill me. It just doesn't ring true, her explanation.

I simply said it irks me, and it does. It smacks of stolen valor, even though it's not as clear-cut as a fake parading around with a chestful of ribbons.
01-04-2016, 07:21 PM
(01-04-2016 07:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 04:00 PM)cjlr Wrote:  "Utterly misremembering something at 20 years remove" is hardly a sin. It's an inevitability of our godawful brains. Every single person I've ever known - myself included - has bigged up anecdotes in the retelling. Without intending to. Because that's how human beings are...

Well, "bigging up an anecdote" is one thing. Remembering something as godawful as someone trying to kill you when such was obviously not the case is not to my view simply a matter of faulty memory, or even gilding the lily. I know my experiences count for little, but in the times I have not been in a life-and-death situation, I've not once misremembered something like people trying to kill me. It just doesn't ring true, her explanation.

I simply said it irks me, and it does. It smacks of stolen valor, even though it's not as clear-cut as a fake parading around with a chestful of ribbons.
Do you know it didn't happen at some other time and place? Unless they searched more, last I heard of it, it was only shown to not be that exact time in Bosnia or wherever she said it was.

Not like a fake thing with her witnessing it happening to others not themselves like Brian Williams scenario with prove of that folly

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-04-2016, 07:40 PM
(01-04-2016 10:01 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Look into it and you find these simple facts:

1. Politifact is owned and operated by the Tampa Bay Times newspaper.

2. The Tampa Bay Times endorsed Hillary Clinton.

I'm no Bernie fan but politifact gives him and the other candidates the shaft. They love Hillary.

As someone who worked for the Tampa Bay Times for 15 years I can tell you ...

1. We created Politifact but the Times no longer owns it.
2. The Times won a half-dozen Pulitzers for its excellence in unbiased reporting.

While I won't deny the editorial board leans left, the Politifact process is vetted and is NOT controlled by anything but facts.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
01-04-2016, 07:50 PM
(01-04-2016 07:21 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 07:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Well, "bigging up an anecdote" is one thing. Remembering something as godawful as someone trying to kill you when such was obviously not the case is not to my view simply a matter of faulty memory, or even gilding the lily. I know my experiences count for little, but in the times I have not been in a life-and-death situation, I've not once misremembered something like people trying to kill me. It just doesn't ring true, her explanation.

Do you know it didn't happen at some other time and place? Unless they searched more, last I heard of it, it was only shown to not be that exact time in Bosnia or wherever she said it was.

Not like a fake thing with her witnessing it happening to others not themselves like Brian Williams scenario with prove of that folly

I certainly never heard of any incident like that in her career otherwise, but I'll use some google-fu when I'm home on my laptop.

I'd be pretty surprised were your suggestion borne out, but we'll see.
02-04-2016, 05:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 06:34 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(01-04-2016 07:40 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 10:01 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Look into it and you find these simple facts:

1. Politifact is owned and operated by the Tampa Bay Times newspaper.

2. The Tampa Bay Times endorsed Hillary Clinton.

I'm no Bernie fan but politifact gives him and the other candidates the shaft. They love Hillary.

As someone who worked for the Tampa Bay Times for 15 years I can tell you ...

1. We created Politifact but the Times no longer owns it.
2. The Times won a half-dozen Pulitzers for its excellence in unbiased reporting.

While I won't deny the editorial board leans left, the Politifact process is vetted and is NOT controlled by anything but facts.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I checked the Politifact website BEFORE my original post. The Tampa Bay Times in fact still owns Politifact. The Politifact Deputy Managing Editor Amy Hollyfield is a paid Tampa Bay Times employee.

Straight from the Tampa Bay Times website, they claim their parent company Times Publishing Company operates Politifact:

"About the Tampa Bay Times

The Tampa Bay Times is widely considered one of the Top Ten newspapers in America and has won 10 Pulitzer Prizes. It is Florida’s largest newspaper, with an average circulation of 397,996 Sunday and 317,270 daily (AAM FAS-FAX March 2014). The Times is produced by the Times Publishing Company, which also publishes TampaBay.com - Tampa Bay’s largest local news Web site with 2.1 million unique visitors each month (Nielsen NetView six-month average for 8/13–1/14). Additionally, the company publishes the free daily tbt*, an edition of the Tampa Bay Times, tb-two*, a free paper written by Tampa Bay area students distributed to students, and the Pulitzer Prize-winning website, PolitiFact.com; and produces special events, specialty publications, and targeted advertising programs."

Additionally, Pulitzer does not issue an award for "excellence in unbiased reporting." That isn't even a prize category. None of the Pulitzer Prizes the Tampa Bay Times has won has anything to do with unbiased reporting. The Pulitzers' they've won were mostly to individual writers for investigative type articles. https://www.tampabay.com/company/about-u...zer-prizes Let's not forget that Pulitzer is extremely biased as well, rarely giving prizes to conservative writers.

The Tampa Bay Times is a liberal newspaper. Politifact is owned and published by the Tampa Bay Times parent company. I would also add that Politifact has a history of rating republicans as "false" and Democrats as "true." They routinely publish quotes by Democrats that are true and leave out ones that aren't to make them appear more truthful. Cherry picking what they choose to rate isn't a fair method. They completely ignore the truthful statements a Republican makes and only rate things they know they can rate to be false through their biased lens.

To use your quote, you couldn't be more wrong.

[Image: spaceballs4.gif]

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
02-04-2016, 06:04 AM
When people say the system is broken, that is bullshit. The founders put together the best idea of checks and balances secular law has come up with. What IS wrong is the monopoly of one class, but only one party has been responsible for hijacking the government.

Blaming the hammer for what the user does with it is bullshit. The 1% is the fucking problem, not democrats. We as voters have the right ideas. Getting our politicians to pull back to the left is still a result of the GOP fear mongering bullshit that has allowed everyone to be held hostage.

It is right to pay livable wages. It is right to pay women equally to men. It is right to have health care as a right. It is right to have access to higher education. It is right to stay the fuck off women's bodies and allow them to make their own reproductive choices. The GOP uses social issues to distract everyone from wallet issues to protect corporate welfare.

The only thing our politicians can be blamed for is like a weak parent giving into the fucking childish brat in the candy isle throwing a fit until you give them the candy bar. But GOP gerrymandering and our voter apathy in midterms hasn't helped either.

It is way past time the sane party, democrats, STOP allowing the stone age party to control the narrative. We are NOT anti private sector. We are not anti religion. We are not fascists or dictators. For 40 years the brats on the right have held everyone hostage and we have allowed them to do that.

FUCK THE GOP, they are the party of the great depression, the party of theocracy, the party of corporate welfare, the party of bigotry and hate.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
02-04-2016, 06:08 AM
(02-04-2016 06:04 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Blaming the hammer for what the user does with it is bullshit.

Please remember this statement you made in the next gun thread.

Thx.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
02-04-2016, 07:06 AM
(01-04-2016 04:20 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 05:10 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  That's a whole lot like saying Moe was the brainiest of the Three Stooges....................

edit to add...

I just got my first cup of coffee - and realize it's April Fool's day..................

I think I've been had.............

Big Grin

Hillary or Bernie are not stupid and I am really getting tired of the "libertarians" and republicans bullshit slurs. This is NOT about them this is about the direction of this country and the obstructionists on the right holding the country hostage.

The idiots are those voting for Mein Drumpf or Ted Cruz.

Nobody said Hillary or Bernie were stupid.

Evil and misguided, respectively....

And if you think I'll be voting for Trump - you ARE stupid.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.