Hillary could lose to Trump in Democratic New York

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 07:10 PM by ClydeLee.)
RE: Hillary could lose to Trump in Democratic New York
(03-03-2016 05:20 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 05:03 PM)epronovost Wrote:  The open pages of this forum are also not a good place to have a debate on the subject of sexism, racism or classism. Its an excellent place to have debates on religion, apologetics or other form of woo, but beside that its mostly a discussion board. The quality of user is also higher than your average social media board so it does help. Here, the real debates are supposed to be in the Colosseum not on pages like these.

That's the reply I was looking for. Although not all social media platforms are the same. I would agree that the average user on tumblr is less intelligent than here, but Tumblr works well in that of every debate you see on your dash is going to contain someone you follow, and presumably find intelligent. And since tumblr is as large as it is, you are exposed to all leanings. I will essentially see a 1 on 1 debate between, say, a conservative and a liberal at any given time I log on. You don't get that here.

The manner of communicating to someone in a direct back and forth (outside of private message) on Tumblr is so format ugly to me I don't get it. It just isn't a seemingly well designed nor aesthetically simple way of communicating to someone. Your use of tumblr goes so far as you use it, plenty of people using it will never see such a thing as a 1 on 1 debate between anyone less likely just commonly see a liberal or conservative debating. YOU may but that's 100% determined on who you follow, you have the choice to follow someone as you have the choice to follow a topic here. but that form is so much more dependent on you actively going out to choose to make that scenario your experience which isn't the type of scenario of a single not vastly large discussion forum. The point is Tumblr you're not actually exposed to wide ranges on it's own. You could only avoid things on a forum too if not looking at every section but it's more clearly defined as there than something one needs to actively search for as in tumblr.

Though you spoke on it there is a couple of very significant differences between this form and Af-org. That one I believe is much larger and more generically based(as in not based on anything) while this forum since it is based off a podcast/youtubechannel which is apart of a corner of a movement a more skeptical or "intellectual" approach to atheism. It has a different community because of many more members having a tie to that spectrum of atheist ranges.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-03-2016, 07:28 PM
(03-03-2016 06:59 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Though you spoke on it there is a couple of very significant differences between this form and Af-org. That one I believe is much larger and more generically based(as in not based on anything) while this forum since it is based off a podcast/youtubechannel which is apart [sic] of a corner of a movement a more skeptical or "intellectual" approach to atheism.

What are these podcasts of which you speak?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-03-2016, 07:30 PM
(03-03-2016 06:59 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 05:20 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  That's the reply I was looking for. Although not all social media platforms are the same. I would agree that the average user on tumblr is less intelligent than here, but Tumblr works well in that of every debate you see on your dash is going to contain someone you follow, and presumably find intelligent. And since tumblr is as large as it is, you are exposed to all leanings. I will essentially see a 1 on 1 debate between, say, a conservative and a liberal at any given time I log on. You don't get that here.

The manner of communicating to someone in a direct back and forth (outside of private message) on Tumblr is so format ugly to me I don't get it. It just isn't a seemingly well designed nor aesthetically simple way of communicating to someone. Your use of tumblr goes so far as you use it, plenty of people using it will never see such a thing as a 1 on 1 debate between anyone less likely just commonly see a liberal or conservative debating. YOU may but that's 100% determined on who you follow, you have the choice to follow someone as you have the choice to follow a topic here. but that form is so much more dependent on you actively going out to choose to make that scenario your experience which isn't the type of scenario of a single not vastly large discussion forum. The point is Tumblr you're not actually exposed to wide ranges on it's own. You could only avoid things on a forum too if not looking at every section but it's more clearly defined as there than something one needs to actively search for as in tumblr.

Though you spoke on it there is a couple of very significant differences between this form and Af-org. That one I believe is much larger and more generically based(as in not based on anything) while this forum since it is based off a podcast/youtubechannel which is apart of a corner of a movement a more skeptical or "intellectual" approach to atheism. It has a different community because of many more members having a tie to that spectrum of atheist ranges.

I essentially agree with everything you stated.

Tumblr will give you the content you so choose. If you want hobbies and cat pics, as epron mentioned, you follow those who are into that. It is not necessarily that, though.

And we all know tumblr has a high concentration of SJW's/feminists, so again I say it can be fun for debating these types of people on their ideology.
03-03-2016, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 09:43 PM by epronovost.)
(03-03-2016 07:30 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 06:59 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The manner of communicating to someone in a direct back and forth (outside of private message) on Tumblr is so format ugly to me I don't get it. It just isn't a seemingly well designed nor aesthetically simple way of communicating to someone. Your use of tumblr goes so far as you use it, plenty of people using it will never see such a thing as a 1 on 1 debate between anyone less likely just commonly see a liberal or conservative debating. YOU may but that's 100% determined on who you follow, you have the choice to follow someone as you have the choice to follow a topic here. but that form is so much more dependent on you actively going out to choose to make that scenario your experience which isn't the type of scenario of a single not vastly large discussion forum. The point is Tumblr you're not actually exposed to wide ranges on it's own. You could only avoid things on a forum too if not looking at every section but it's more clearly defined as there than something one needs to actively search for as in tumblr.

I essentially agree with everything you stated.

Tumblr will give you the content you so choose. If you want hobbies and cat pics, as epron mentioned, you follow those who are into that. It is not necessarily that, though.

And we all know tumblr has a high concentration of SJW's/feminists, so again I say it can be fun for debating these types of people on their ideology.

I wouldn't call that a debate since debates have rules, a single clear topic and are moderated. You are most likely having an argument with someone and not much more. Some people might even call that trolling under certain circomstances.

PS: Tumblr apparently has this reputation because its the only socia media website with more women than men (56%) while Facebook, Reddit, 4chan and twitter are male dominant. I don't know if its true but I thought it interesting. I also heard it was mostly a demographic bellow the age of 25. I don't think its ethical for an adult to debate/argue with teens on such subject unless you are intending to teach and not argue which you can't really do efficently or in a respectful manner easily on social media.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
03-03-2016, 09:48 PM
(03-03-2016 09:11 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 07:30 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  I essentially agree with everything you stated.

I wouldn't call that a debate since debates have rules, a single clear topic and are moderated. You are most likely having an argument with someone and not much more. Some people might even call that trolling under certain circomstances.

PS: Tumblr apparently has this reputation because its the only socia media website with more women than men (56%) while Facebook, Reddit, 4chan and twitter are male dominant. I don't know if its true but I thought it interesting. I also heard it was mostly a demographic bellow the age of 25. I don't think its ethical for an adult to debate/argue with teens on such subject. Unless you are intending to teacj and not argue which you can't really do on social media or if you are a teen yourself.

The first three definitions of debate I get don't mention rules. Semantic points are useless, to me, though. As long as we both know that I mean engaging them in discussion however that takes form, we're cool.

And I disagree with the age thing, and won't give you my exact age as if this notion has merit. I'm younger than a lot of you prehistoric fuckers, though.

I just love discussing this stuff. SJWism, feminism, totalitarian 'regressive' leftism, PC culture; it's a big internet thing right now, and I'm savvy on it. I have the same passion in my opposition with these ideologies that I once had against religion (which ofcourse I still oppose.)