Himalayan glaciers maintaining size over past decade.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2012, 11:38 AM
RE: Himalayan glaciers maintaining size over past decade.
The difference between the average temperature for the last 12,000 years and the average temperature during the last glacial maximum is .8 degrees C.

http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/oce...change.htm

A doubling of atmospheric CO2 levels will likely equate to a temperature increase of 2 to 3 degrees C.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2012, 11:48 AM
(26-03-2012 11:38 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  The difference between the average temperature for the last 12,000 years and the average temperature during the last glacial maximum is .8 degrees C.

I don't know about that. Wouldn't temps from ~200 years ago be roughly .8 less than they are today. I'm just speculating but wouldn't global mean temps need to be at least 10 degrees colder for glaciers to cover most of North America?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry, I misread and stuck a decimal point in where there shouldn’t be one. But no, there are no indications that average global temperature has changed 8-10 degrees in the last 150,000 years. The indications are that the difference global average temperature between a glacial maximum and an interglacial period is 2 to 3 degrees C.

[Image: image161.gif]

Current climate sensitivity models tell us that a doubling of atmospheric CO2 levels will result in a temperature increase of 2 to 3 degrees C. If that is all it takes to make this kind of difference:

[Image: Ch1-2.gif]

Then shouldn’t we be a little at least a little concerned about the effects of what we are doing today on the climate future generations are going to left with?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
26-03-2012, 01:18 PM
(26-03-2012 12:30 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Sorry, I misread and stuck a decimal point in where there shouldn’t be one. But no, there are no indications that average global temperature has changed 8-10 degrees in the last 150,000 years. The indications are that the difference global average temperature between a glacial maximum and an interglacial period is 2 to 3 degrees C.

[Image: image161.gif]

Current climate sensitivity models tell us that a doubling of atmospheric CO2 levels will result in a temperature increase of 2 to 3 degrees C. If that is all it takes to make this kind of difference:

[Image: Ch1-2.gif]

Then shouldn’t we be a little at least a little concerned about the effects of what we are doing today on the climate future generations are going to left with?

I am totally in support of developing clean energy for numerous reasons. The largest is economic freedom from foreign oil. The second ties in with the third. We need to limit pollution and destruction of habitats and that goes along with preventing potential climate change caused by people.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-03-2012, 01:44 PM
(26-03-2012 11:22 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(26-03-2012 11:13 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  CO2 is the only forcing that correlates with the observed temperature change.

[Image: Climate_Change_Attribution.png]

I'm a little confused by the layout of this graph but what I can see is a 0.6 degree overall change in 100+ years. Forgive me if I don't crap my pants.

(26-03-2012 11:20 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Co2 is a natural byproduct of nature. We are just adding more than the ecosystem can handle. So, yes I agree with you about Al Gore and the rest of his cronies, but man-made global warming is not a hoax.

I'm not suggesting that it's not a credible theory. Just that I'm not sold on it.

Higgs boson is a credible theory as is the Standard Model. But the Higgs being unseen and SM being incomplete gives legitimate reason to question it. I don't in that case but in climate change I do.
If by "not sold" you mean you are not going to buy a hybrid and cover your roof in solar panels, I am fine with that. If you mean that the current evidence is not enough to convince you that humanity influences global temperatures in a substantial amount, then I do have a problem.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
26-03-2012, 01:51 PM
(26-03-2012 01:44 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  If you mean that the current evidence is not enough to convince you that humanity influences global temperatures in a substantial amount, then I do have a problem.

Well that's me. It's funny though because I'm actually willing to load my roof up with solar panels (assuming I can afford them), buy a Nissan Leaf, and even lobby for clean energy. So if it makes you feel better, my eagerness to ease dependance on foreign energy will still indirectly affect the climate change you are so convinced of.

Different roads, same destination.

-Mark Twain
26-03-2012, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2012 02:59 PM by Antirepublican.)
(26-03-2012 08:55 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(26-03-2012 08:33 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  "Global Warming is FAKE (Neil Degrasse Tyson vs Bob Lutz)" is the exact title.

Listen, I have tons of respect for Neil Tyson but that video didn't prove anything. It didn't even really make a point. Almost everything Lutz said is correct. We've been spending decades scaring people into thinking that the east/west coast is going to be under water. They've been told massive hurricanes are going to destroy huge areas around the Gulf coast. I live here man, it's hot just like it always has been and a category 5 hurricane hasn't even come close to hitting land since Andrew. Even with sinking and loss of wetlands related to canals and levees Louisiana's rate of submerssion isn't getting more rapid. Also, every winter when we go to Antarctica and the Arctic Circle the ice is there. It may be slightly warmer in the summer but it's been colder in the winter. Average temp changes in most places are in tenths of a degree IIRC.

And all this has happened before where there were no SUVs and oil rigs!!!!!!
I think that last statement says it all. A giant bolded exclamatory statement with the sentence structure of an American High School Student. I believe that this sort of happenstance personifies this climate change denier cult quite well.

Denying the mountains and mountains of evidence for this global threat is absurd. Average people should not be dictating policy in this matter, it should be a discussion among scientists and the government, and the scientific community lines up clearly on one side.
26-03-2012, 03:17 PM
(26-03-2012 02:52 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  
(26-03-2012 08:55 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Listen, I have tons of respect for Neil Tyson but that video didn't prove anything. It didn't even really make a point. Almost everything Lutz said is correct. We've been spending decades scaring people into thinking that the east/west coast is going to be under water. They've been told massive hurricanes are going to destroy huge areas around the Gulf coast. I live here man, it's hot just like it always has been and a category 5 hurricane hasn't even come close to hitting land since Andrew. Even with sinking and loss of wetlands related to canals and levees Louisiana's rate of submerssion isn't getting more rapid. Also, every winter when we go to Antarctica and the Arctic Circle the ice is there. It may be slightly warmer in the summer but it's been colder in the winter. Average temp changes in most places are in tenths of a degree IIRC.

And all this has happened before where there were no SUVs and oil rigs!!!!!!
I think that last statement says it all. A giant bolded exclamatory statement with the sentence structure of an American High School Student. I believe that this sort of happenstance personifies this climate change denier cult quite well.

Denying the mountains and mountains of evidence for this global threat is absurd. Average people should not be dictating policy in this matter, it should be a discussion among scientists and the government, and the scientific community lines up clearly on one side.

Do not mistake my casual grammar for ignorance. I'm well aware of the evidence. I'm also well aware that the last time this happened there were no SUVs pumping out greenhouse gases.

On a side note, in 3 posts you've managed to piss me off to the point that I'd probably crush your fuckin skull if you were here. Did you feel like you were safe on this forum engaging the person you disagree with most? My first impression of you makes me wonder if you are an 18 year old from reddit or 4chan just here to stir up shit.

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
26-03-2012, 03:19 PM
(26-03-2012 03:17 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(26-03-2012 02:52 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  I think that last statement says it all. A giant bolded exclamatory statement with the sentence structure of an American High School Student. I believe that this sort of happenstance personifies this climate change denier cult quite well.

Do not mistake my casual grammar for ignorance. I'm well aware of the evidence. I'm also well aware that the last time this happened there were no SUVs pumping out greenhouse gases.

On a side note, in 3 posts you've managed to piss me off to the point that I'd probably crush your fuckin skull if you were here. Did you feel like you were safe on this forum engaging the person you disagree with most? My first impression of you makes me wonder if you are an 18 year old from reddit or 4chan just here to stir up shit.
Seriously? I thought this was a place of intellectual discussion? This person has 13 positive reputation points, and has given me -1 for simply stating a fact regarding Ron Paul? On top of that, now he is threatening me with personal violence, and though I am not the least bit threatened it is rather sad.

I guess I was wrong about this community.
26-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Seriously? I thought this was a place of intellectual discussion? This person has 13 positive reputation points, and has given me -1 for simply stating a fact regarding Ron Paul? On top of that, now he is threatening me with personal violence, and though I am not the least bit threatened it is rather sad.

I guess I was wrong about this community.

[/quote]

It is. But you came here to argue. And your comment was an indirect insult at someone you disagreed with but were too passive to come out and say it. You want reps? Make a quality post and I'll think about it.

-Mark Twain