Hippie Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 05:33 AM
RE: Hippie Christians
(01-03-2016 02:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 08:06 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  [Image: hippy-christian.jpg]

I'd be happy to take her confession Tongue

I would be happy to take her confession every sunday.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2016, 06:23 AM
Back in the days of actual hippies we called them Jesus freaks.

They pretty much stuck with their own group, but were very annoying when they would mingle. They were like broken records, repeating the same shit at infinitum.

Still much preferable to fundies, at least they were not "judgy".

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
01-03-2016, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 07:56 AM by Tomasia.)
(29-02-2016 08:02 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  Christianity had to adapt to this time in order to survive. By changing their position from fundamentalism to "all peace and love" they are trying to gain mor adepts since appealing to emotion is really effective in a lot of people.

People who make remarks like this seem to be fairly ignorant of Christianity. There's never been just one Christianity, though there's a lot of claimants for the authentic representation of it, a fact that's true from the very beginning. When it comes to a variety of forms we see today, there's nothing new under the sun Though modernity has it's influence, it's often overstated. A variety of perspectives that embody fundamentalism, have in fact developed in response to our modern predicament, beliefs that developed as a defense. But even these beliefs are a partial representative of fundamentalism as a whole.

If orthodoxy is represented by an allegiance to the Nicene creed, there's only some Christians churches that steer away from that. In this regard, the catholics, mainline protestant denominations, fundie evangelicals, are in agreement.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
01-03-2016, 07:52 AM
(01-03-2016 07:32 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 08:02 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  Christianity had to adapt to this time in order to survive. By changing their position from fundamentalism to "all peace and love" they are trying to gain mor adepts since appealing to emotion is really effective in a lot of people.

People who make remarks like this seem to be fairly ignorant of Christianity. There's never been just one Christianity, though there's a lot of claimants for the authentic representation of it, a fact that's true from the very beginning. When it comes to a variety of forms we see today, there's nothing new under the sun Though modernity has it's influence, it's often overstated. A variety of perspectives that embody fundamentalism, have in fact developed in response to our modern predicament, beliefs that developed as a defense. But even these beliefs are a partial representative of fundamentalism as a whole. If orthodoxy is represented by an allegiance to the Nicene creed, there's only some Christians churches that steer away from that. In this regard, the catholics, mainline protestant denominations, fundie evangelicals, are in agreement.

That's nice dear.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-03-2016, 09:03 AM
(01-03-2016 07:32 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

People who make remarks like this seem to be fairly ignorant of Christianity. There's never been just one Christianity, though there's a lot of claimants for the authentic representation of it, a fact that's true from the very beginning. When it comes to a variety of forms we see today, there's nothing new under the sun Though modernity has it's influence, it's often overstated. A variety of perspectives that embody fundamentalism, have in fact developed in response to our modern predicament, beliefs that developed as a defense. But even these beliefs are a partial representative of fundamentalism as a whole.

If orthodoxy is represented by an allegiance to the Nicene creed, there's only some Christians churches that steer away from that. In this regard, the catholics, mainline protestant denominations, fundie evangelicals, are in agreement.

It just seems as an attempt to keep ignoring arguments against their religion by saying "all you need iis to love our savior", and ignoring the arguments presented to them.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
01-03-2016, 09:21 AM
my boyfriends family contains fundamentalist hipster christians. Try THAT on for size.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
01-03-2016, 10:16 AM
My two oldest brothers were 1960's Haight Ashbury hippies. Rolleyes They sorta liked the Jesus that was all about, like....love man. Heart Outta sight, man! Like, that's really bitchin'! Thumbsup

They then mixed eastern philosophy and drugs together in a commune setting and came up with.....a fucking, fucked up mess!

I think one of my brothers wore a leather cross necklace with a buddha hanging off of it but they never got very serious into the Christian religion. We were raised without religion and I think that helped.

Funny, I was around 7 when they went off to college. Both had nice, clean short hair and within a year and a half the hair was down to their shoulders and filthy dirty. My mother was beside herself.

In 1969 they both suddenly "moved" up to Canada. Hummm. And it seemed to happen when they both got their draft notice. How strange. Consider But my mother was Canadian so it was an easy transition since they had duel citizenship. They're still there and love Canada. As far as they know they're the only draft dodger brothers that both went to Canada.

Anyway, it's all about Love and Peace, baby. Chase It's a gas, man. Smokin All ya need is love......

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-03-2016, 10:19 AM
(01-03-2016 09:21 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  my boyfriends family contains fundamentalist hipster christians. Try THAT on for size.

at least fundies try to pretend that they give a shit about the book that their whole belief system is supposedly based on.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
01-03-2016, 11:02 AM
(29-02-2016 07:52 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I live in California and I feel like I'm utterly surrounded by hippie Christians, they are very different from the fire and brimstone Christians I grew up around when I lived in Oklahoma as a child/teenager. They are especially annoying because they only want to talk about love, if you say "I just can't believe there is a God." They always say "But there is a God and he loves you and Jesus loves you and love and rainbows and unicorns and love!" If you point out the paradox of an all loving being who also needs you to worship him and accept his son's blood sacrifice and some other rules or else you burn so it's a conditional love they're just like "But God can forgiven ANYTHING and the love though, did you not hear when I said he loves you? Because he totes does love you, like whole bunches!!" I mean seriously how can God love everyone? If he loves everyone, he loves no one, he has no standards so it's totally meaningless.

Perhaps you have also met these believers, they usually have these traits:

1. They talk about love almost exclusively.
2. They are very open minded and accepting of gay marriage, sex before marriage, women being preachers/priests, etc. They will even look down on fundamentalist Christians and will start sentences with "Well my Jesus would never judge..."
3. They can't get angry, you can try to push them but they won't break, even if you insult them they will only say "Hey, that's not nice, I haven't insulted you." and may walk away like "I'll just pray for you."
4. They don't know shit about the Bible, especially the OT and Jesus was like the ultimate Hippie so they try to live like he did but this God/Yahweh is some kind of abstract idea to them, like "Woah he said to kill unruly kids? Ok well that's why it's all about Jesus though, cause love."
5. They also don't know shit about science, try to bring up evolution and you'll get "Well, maybe it's both, like God created everything and like it all evolved...and yeah that makes sense?" Try to push them and you get "Well, hey I'm not a scientist man, I just know Jesus is like the coolest and I can always count on him."

I find myself unable to debate these Xians, it's so frustrating their level if delusion and sense of overwhelming goodness. Does anyone else feel this type of Christian is becoming more prevalent and have any ways of dealing with them? I don't want to change their minds, they seem like really nice cool people but wow are they annoying, should I just leave them be?

Tell them that if one loves everyone equally then love is meaningless. Hey I want you to know I love you just the same as I love Hitler, Charles Manson and Pol Pot.

Great, thanks, now run along and play.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
01-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it, I think the only problem I have with leaving them be is they are so close to being Atheists/Agnostics since their grasp of Christianity is so very thin I just can't help myself. If they say "Jesus is love!" I have to point out how unloving the religion really is but they don't put up much fight so there's no point really.

My fiance's family all consist of Hippie Christians and I guess I feel pretty lucky they are not the Roman Catholic variety that my parents are. I will have to put my foot down once we have kids though, I don't want them talking about it too much as I think a child would become a Christian easily if all they hear about is the love stuff. As much as they are cool to be around they are very vocal and talk about it a lot, will shove Jesus into any conversation, which is the most annoying part.