Hippie Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 01:10 PM
RE: Hippie Christians
(01-03-2016 09:21 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  my boyfriends family contains fundamentalist hipster christians. Try THAT on for size.

Wow I can't even imagine that, seems like an odd mix but there's Christianity for you, it fits so awkwardly into our mostly secular society and modern culture but they do try so hard, you would think they would figure there's no point.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2016, 01:12 PM
(01-03-2016 06:23 AM)Dom Wrote:  Back in the days of actual hippies we called them Jesus freaks.

They pretty much stuck with their own group, but were very annoying when they would mingle. They were like broken records, repeating the same shit at infinitum.

Still much preferable to fundies, at least they were not "judgy".

I totally agree, they repeat themselves to the point of absurdity but they are not judgy, I don't think I've heard one of them say I was going to Hell, so that's nice. I don't even think they know what Hell is, like a lot of major parts of the Bible it's just lost on them.
01-03-2016, 02:06 PM
(01-03-2016 01:10 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 09:21 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  my boyfriends family contains fundamentalist hipster christians. Try THAT on for size.

Wow I can't even imagine that, seems like an odd mix but there's Christianity for you, it fits so awkwardly into our mostly secular society and modern culture but they do try so hard, you would think they would figure there's no point.

Its a very weird thing to watch, them trying to fit their very liberal ideas into their very conservative ones. Quite the juggling act.
01-03-2016, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 03:42 PM by Dom.)
(01-03-2016 10:19 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  

at least fundies try to pretend that they give a shit about the book that their whole belief system is supposedly based on.

The Jesus freaks didn't base anything on anything. They had a couple of slogans that sounded good to them, like "god is love". They were not religious and I never saw any of them pray, go to church or follow any commandments. They didn't read the bible, or study any religions. And when the Beatles went through their Buddha phase they switched to that.

They weren't actually religious, nor were they into Jesus, or Buddha. Spirituality was getting high and letting the mind roam. They were shaking the indoctrination they got from their parents and replacing it with whatever.

They were still annoying with their constant repetition of slogans. I bet today they are mostly atheists.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
02-03-2016, 01:27 AM
(01-03-2016 10:19 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  

at least fundies try to pretend that they give a shit about the book that their whole belief system is supposedly based on.

Considering what Bible contain even trying to give a shit about what's written there could hardly be called a virtue.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-03-2016, 09:28 AM
(29-02-2016 07:52 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I find myself unable to debate these Xians, it's so frustrating their level if delusion and sense of overwhelming goodness. Does anyone else feel this type of Christian is becoming more prevalent and have any ways of dealing with them? I don't want to change their minds, they seem like really nice cool people but wow are they annoying, should I just leave them be?

My wife is actually a lot like this, although it isn't a stance out of ignorance. She's relatively well-read in her informed cherry picking. She has reasons that she objects to certain creepy parts of the Bible.

As for "deal with them", it depends on what you want. I don't really debate my wife much on this because it pretty much comes down to "she feels God in her heart and knows it's him, and wishes I felt it, too". There's not a lot of wiggle room there without me getting implicitly insulting.

Now, if you don't care about implicitly (or explicitly) insulting them, your best bet is to make the exact same statements they make to prop up some equally ludicrous claim. I've always been a fan of using leprechauns, because people know what they are, don't believe in them, and they're totally nonfalsifiable. But you can really use anything you want. The point is to show how much they're supporting their beliefs with assumptions. They will probably fall back on "feels", and you can point out that there is no possible way they can know that what they're feeling is God, and even if it is, that God has the qualities they say. They can say that they don't believe in a powerful deceiver (Satan), and you can just throw it back at them that they've been deceived (greatest trick the Devil ever pulled)! Fight nonfalsifiability with nonfalsifiability.