Historical Evidence of Spartacus vs Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Historical Evidence of Spartacus vs Jesus
I've recently become interested in Spartacus and have done some light research on the historical evidence for his accomplishments. He lived over 70 years before Jesus but I'm not so sure of any first hand accounts of Spartacus' life either. Plutarch, Appian and Florus mention him but they were born decades after Spartacus died.

Do any of you ancient history buffs know of first hand accounts of Spartacus? He had an army of around 60 thousand. There must be something written about him during his lifetime. I'm sort of comparing the historical evidence of Spartacus vs Jesus.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2014, 05:12 PM
RE: Historical Evidence of Spartacus vs Jesus
From the title at first I thought you were looking for historical evidence Spartacus fought Jesus in battle Laugh out load anyways here's a page of information on Crassus who was a Roman General and makes many references to Spartacus.

Also here's this and this which contains some information on Spartacus.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
10-08-2014, 09:05 PM
(10-08-2014 05:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  From the title at first I thought you were looking for historical evidence Spartacus fought Jesus in battle Laugh out load anyways here's a page of information on Crassus who was a Roman General and makes many references to Spartacus.

Yeah, I checked Plutarch and Appian already but they were born after Spartacus had already died so we've got the same problem with Spartacus as we do with Jesus. There is no first hand eyewitnesses accounts to what Spartacus did? I mean the guy had an army of 60 thousand slaves. Six thousand of them were crucified, or so I read. There must be some Roman guy that wrote about Spartacus during the time he was causing so much havoc with Rome. In a debate I was going to point out that Spartacus had eyewitnesses to his rebellion and Jesus did not, only accounts written many decades later. Hummm. I might be wrong on this one.

Jesus and Spartacus in a battle. LOL Tongue Big Grin

10-08-2014, 09:17 PM
(10-08-2014 09:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 05:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  From the title at first I thought you were looking for historical evidence Spartacus fought Jesus in battle Laugh out load anyways here's a page of information on Crassus who was a Roman General and makes many references to Spartacus.

Yeah, I checked Plutarch and Appian already but they were born after Spartacus had already died so we've got the same problem with Spartacus as we do with Jesus. There is no first hand eyewitnesses accounts to what Spartacus did? I mean the guy had an army of 60 thousand slaves. Six thousand of them were crucified, or so I read. There must be some Roman guy that wrote about Spartacus during the time he was causing so much havoc with Rome. In a debate I was going to point out that Spartacus had eyewitnesses to his rebellion and Jesus did not, only accounts written many decades later. Hummm. I might be wrong on this one.

Jesus and Spartacus in a battle. LOL Tongue Big Grin

Look at Crassus. He was around with Spartacus but I read not much is known really about Spartacus's early life..

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
10-08-2014, 09:18 PM
We have the Periochae of Livy's History of Rome. These are summaries of some of the books which are missing.

http://www.livius.org/li-ln/livy/perioch...ae091.html

Quote:From book 95

In Thrace, proconsul Gaius Curio subdued the Dardanians.

[73] Seventy-four gladiators escaped from the school of Lentulus at Capua, gathered a large number of slaves and workhouse prisoners, began a war under command of Crixus and Spartacus, and defeated the army of praetor Publius Varenus and his deputy Claudius Pulcher.

Quote:From book 96

Praetor Quintus Arrius crushed Crixus, the leader of the runaway slaves, and 20,000 men. [72 BCE] Consul Gnaeus Lentulus, however, unsuccessfully fought against Spartacus. Consul Lucius Gellius and praetor Quintus Arrius were defeated by the same leader.

At a banquet, Sertorius was killed by Marcus Perpenna, Marcus Antonius and other conspirators, during the eighth year of his command; he had been a great leader and against two commanders, Pompey and Metellus, he had often been successful, although in the end, he changed into a savage and prodigal man. Leadership of his faction was transferred to Marcus [Perpenna], who was defeated, captured and killed by Gnaeus Pompey, after the latter had recovered the Spanish provinces in the almost tenth year after the beginning of the war.

Proconsul Gaius Cassius and praetor Gnaeus Manlius unsuccessfully fought against Spartacus, and the war was confined to praetor Marcus Crassus.

Quote:From book 97

[71] Praetor Marcus Crassus first fought victoriously with a part of the runaways, mainly Gauls and Germans, and killed 35,000 of them, including their leaders Castus and Gannicus. Then he completely defeated Spartacus, who was killed with 60,000 people.

Livy lived from roughly 60 BC to 17 AD so relatively close in time to the events portrayed. Certainly better than anything we have for 'jesus.'

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
10-08-2014, 10:14 PM
(10-08-2014 09:18 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  We have the Periochae of Livy's History of Rome. These are summaries of some of the books which are missing.

http://www.livius.org/li-ln/livy/perioch...ae091.html

Quote:From book 95

In Thrace, proconsul Gaius Curio subdued the Dardanians.

[73] Seventy-four gladiators escaped from the school of Lentulus at Capua, gathered a large number of slaves and workhouse prisoners, began a war under command of Crixus and Spartacus, and defeated the army of praetor Publius Varenus and his deputy Claudius Pulcher.

Quote:From book 96

Praetor Quintus Arrius crushed Crixus, the leader of the runaway slaves, and 20,000 men. [72 BCE] Consul Gnaeus Lentulus, however, unsuccessfully fought against Spartacus. Consul Lucius Gellius and praetor Quintus Arrius were defeated by the same leader.

At a banquet, Sertorius was killed by Marcus Perpenna, Marcus Antonius and other conspirators, during the eighth year of his command; he had been a great leader and against two commanders, Pompey and Metellus, he had often been successful, although in the end, he changed into a savage and prodigal man. Leadership of his faction was transferred to Marcus [Perpenna], who was defeated, captured and killed by Gnaeus Pompey, after the latter had recovered the Spanish provinces in the almost tenth year after the beginning of the war.

Proconsul Gaius Cassius and praetor Gnaeus Manlius unsuccessfully fought against Spartacus, and the war was confined to praetor Marcus Crassus.

Quote:From book 97

[71] Praetor Marcus Crassus first fought victoriously with a part of the runaways, mainly Gauls and Germans, and killed 35,000 of them, including their leaders Castus and Gannicus. Then he completely defeated Spartacus, who was killed with 60,000 people.

Livy lived from roughly 60 BC to 17 AD so relatively close in time to the events portrayed. Certainly better than anything we have for 'jesus.'

Oh, great. Thanks.

Interesting guy, that Spartacus.

10-08-2014, 10:33 PM
I always figured it like...

Jesus:
born of a virgin Dodgy
turned water to wine Dodgy
came back from the dead Dodgy

Spartacus:
betrayed roman slave master (money)
defeated roman armies (money)
was finally killed (end to that particular loss of money)

That last would have been a much better reason to quickly jot down some factual numbers to keep track of dem denarias! I don't know of any such documents, though, so I could be full of it.

10-08-2014, 10:51 PM
(10-08-2014 10:33 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I always figured it like...

Jesus:
born of a virgin Dodgy

Spartacus:

That last would have been a much better reason to quickly jot down some factual numbers to keep track of dem denarias! I don't know of any such documents, though, so I could be full of it.

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and watch some of the crazy stuff that went on back then. Spartacus and Jebus were about 100 years apart. If Jebus was a real guy I wonder if he knew about Spartacus and if he did know about him I wonder if he thought Spartacus and his gang were uppity slaves who deserved to be punished.

I wonder about stuff like this. I know, I know, it's really dumb.

10-08-2014, 11:00 PM
(10-08-2014 10:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 10:33 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I always figured it like...

Jesus:
born of a virgin Dodgy

Spartacus:

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and watch some of the crazy stuff that went on back then. Spartacus and Jebus were about 100 years apart. If Jebus was a real guy I wonder if he knew about Spartacus and if he did know about him I wonder if he thought Spartacus and his gang were uppity slaves who deserved to be punished.

I wonder about stuff like this. I know, I know, it's really dumb.

No, it's not dumb! Hug I know exactly what you're talking about Shy

I just always figured that a story about Jeebus peacefully preaching love and acceptance in a darkened alley that just happened to be bereft of literate historians was less believable than the story of a rebellion that any (and ALL) Roman generals, at the time, would have wanted recorded so that their exploits, and conquests, could be documented for the whole empire to know about!

Spartacus would SO have whooped Jeebus' butt Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
11-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Quote:Interesting guy, that Spartacus.

Just another barbarian.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!