Historical Reenactment/Collecting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Historical Reenactment/Collecting
Might be a bit of a stab in the dark, but I wonder if anyone on this forum is a historically reenactor, living history performer, historical artifacts/reproductions collector, HEMA practicer, or anything of the sort.

Collecting historical reproductions has been a hobby of mine for a while. I've gotten enough things that I can dress up as a historically accurate viking, which is often what I do during the winter festivals. I've done very little reenactment stuff; just a few times helping out a local museum just to look the part on the guided tour for school groups, and getting involved in minor roles in local events. I'm not actually a member of any clubs right now, unfortunately.

Hopefully I can get some pictures of some of my things up here when I can sort out a decent res camera; really hope there are people here who have things to show off too. Even if you have a collection of display-only swords I think that would be interesting to see. :3

Looking forward to any replies, especially those with pictures :L

Here, have a picture of something I made myself as a semi-authentic charm for my viking costume Tongue http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd220...003da9.jpg

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2014, 01:42 PM
RE: Historical Reenactment/Collecting
I used to know someone that worked back east in this pilgrim thing. She had to wear period clothing and speak in the style -- keeping to character through the most inane remarks by tourists.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Warning, arrogant statement ahead:
I like to think that one day people will be doing historical reenactments of my awesomeness.

'Murican Canadian
14-10-2014, 02:54 PM
I toyed with the idea. I actually have a replica Civil War musket and bayonet. Then my son and I took a trip to Manassas, Virginia. We were there in July, 3 days short of the 130th anniversay of First Manassas/Bull Run. It was 95 degrees with 99% humidity or, conditions roughly approximating those of the actual battle.

We were wearing shorts and t-shirts and carrying a camera. We were dying. The thought of marching around up those hills and slopes in a wool uniform carrying a a musket and bayonet made me reconsider the geography of Civil War battles. They were mainly fought in the south in the summer.

Fuck that.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
14-10-2014, 05:43 PM
My husband was into traditional archery as a hobby and was invited to go to a gathering of the Society for Creative Anachronism. We have access to a lot of different costumes so we went as guests. It was kind of odd. I love costumes but, I donno. It just wasn't my thing. They have groups all over the world though and seem to have a lot of fun.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-10-2014, 06:01 PM
(14-10-2014 05:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband was into traditional archery as a hobby and was invited to go to a gathering of the Society for Creative Anachronism. We have access to a lot of different costumes so we went as guests. It was kind of odd. I love costumes but, I donno. It just wasn't my thing. They have groups all over the world though and seem to have a lot of fun.

Pretty interesting stuff. I've heard a lot about the SCA; they appear to be a counter-culture group a lot more than the native reenactment groups in my area, and I often here them lumped in with LARPers and Steampunks, but pretty cool either way. I notice a difference in the general type of people who join the American groups is much different from in Britain though. In America it seems to be the hippy types and the nerds for the most part, but in Britain it's generally the librarians and the cider drinkers xD

Minimalist: Aye that can be a problem. I much prefer the winter stuff myself :L

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
14-10-2014, 06:40 PM
(14-10-2014 06:01 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 05:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband was into traditional archery as a hobby and was invited to go to a gathering of the Society for Creative Anachronism. We have access to a lot of different costumes so we went as guests. It was kind of odd. I love costumes but, I donno. It just wasn't my thing. They have groups all over the world though and seem to have a lot of fun.

Pretty interesting stuff. I've heard a lot about the SCA; they appear to be a counter-culture group a lot more than the native reenactment groups in my area, and I often here them lumped in with LARPers and Steampunks, but pretty cool either way. I notice a difference in the general type of people who join the American groups is much different from in Britain though. In America it seems to be the hippy types and the nerds for the most part, but in Britain it's generally the librarians and the cider drinkers xD

I don't think the SCA reenacts historical events. They have different historical groups from different segments of history and get together for fun and games and eat loads of food. I believe they have jousts and fencing and my husband did the archery tournament but nothing was reenacted that I could see.

I don't get reenactments. You know how it's going to end, the South loses and the North wins. The Normans conquer and the native Brits lose. It would be like reenacting an old football game, play by play.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-10-2014, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2014 06:55 PM by Cetaceaphile.)
(14-10-2014 06:40 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 06:01 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Pretty interesting stuff. I've heard a lot about the SCA; they appear to be a counter-culture group a lot more than the native reenactment groups in my area, and I often here them lumped in with LARPers and Steampunks, but pretty cool either way. I notice a difference in the general type of people who join the American groups is much different from in Britain though. In America it seems to be the hippy types and the nerds for the most part, but in Britain it's generally the librarians and the cider drinkers xD

I don't think the SCA reenacts historical events. They have different historical groups from different segments of history and get together for fun and games and eat loads of food. I believe they have jousts and fencing and my husband did the archery tournament but nothing was reenacted that I could see.

I don't get reenactments. You know how it's going to end, the South loses and the North wins. The Normans conquer and the native Brits lose. It would be like reenacting an old football game, play by play.
That's certainly true of the big battles, but when it comes to day to day things like markets, festivals and demonstrations it's more about just reenacting the era; wearing the clothes, eating the food, trying the combat styles, and of course educating the public. My favourite are the markets because you can buy a lot of interesting stuff :3
And too in the way of battle the majority of it that I've seen has been based on an era in history but the battle is real; it kind of has the same appeal as boxing, seeing blokes beating the snot out of each other. Of course blunt weapons are used and people don't take a dagger to downed foes so it's no deadly, but they try to get the combat to be as authentic as possible. This particular group meeting agreed upon a simple system designed to look decent in front of a crowd while keeping authenticity and minimising confusion. Other fights though you might see people go into full HEMA mode and pull of stuff which puts hollywood to shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz31EJm1j_k
This is a video I took in the summer of the final part of a small battle which came after the strict reenactment battle. This time the French won xD

Get to see a bloke receiving a giant bruise on his thigh too if you watch closely, which sparked the morbid curiosity of about 100 tourists who all gathered around his tent shortly after to get a good look.

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
23-11-2014, 06:37 PM
[Image: Untitled28_zpsf26f6834.jpg]

Guess what TV show I watch, and what I do to gather extra arm muscles.

*Ceta confirmed for whitey!*

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.