Historical Weapons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 10:30 PM
RE: Historical Weapons
[Image: xh2120n_2.jpg]

This little beauty is the Frankish throwing axe, called the francesca.

Franks would run toward a defensive shield wall and throw them (all at once, on command) at the enemy during the charge. They would break shields and could kill even if striking a helmet, but even if the throw fell short, it still did great damage... because of the curvature of the axe-head, on hitting the ground they would roll over and bounce up in unpredictable directions, striking at weakly-protected legs and causing injury and havoc just before the Frankish warriors crashed into the shield wall.

Though primarily associated with the Frankish tribe, most of the Germanic tribes also used this tactic at some point in their history, including the Anglo-Saxons.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-06-2016, 03:13 AM
Another more historically-recent weapon... and if the American pacifist movement hadn't been so vocal in their condemnation of this sort of stuff in their safe environments of San Francisco or Washington, then there was every chance the US could've been victors instead of losers, and hundreds of thousands of lives could've been improved for the better—in the longer term.

Napalm runs; and the white cloudy stuff is phosphorous. USAF footage backed by the greatest group in modern musical history.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
18-06-2016, 03:38 AM
(18-06-2016 03:13 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Another more historically-recent weapon... and if the American pacifist movement hadn't been so vocal in their condemnation of this sort of stuff in their safe environments of San Francisco or Washington, then there was every chance the US could've been victors instead of losers, and hundreds of thousands of lives could've been improved for the better—in the longer term.

Napalm runs; and the white cloudy stuff is phosphorous. USAF footage backed by the greatest group in modern musical history.

Smells like victory!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2016, 01:15 PM
the pike.

[Image: pike_04.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
18-06-2016, 01:33 PM
I remember watching a documentary on TV where they were showing weapons designs that were tested during & just after WW2.

I wonder why this design didn't make the cut? Could there be some obvious flaw?

[Image: q2zdBOl.jpg]

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
18-06-2016, 04:59 PM
[Image: post-366-1133618254.jpg]

Love this one.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-06-2016, 05:42 PM
(18-06-2016 01:33 PM)unsapien Wrote:  I remember watching a documentary on TV where they were showing weapons designs that were tested during & just after WW2.

I wonder why this design didn't make the cut? Could there be some obvious flaw?

[Image: q2zdBOl.jpg]

Quote:he U.S. military tested the HZ-1 Aerocycle pictured above in the mid-1950s, in hopes it could become the standard recon aircraft. But after a couple of crashes, officials scrapped the project.
18-06-2016, 05:43 PM
(18-06-2016 04:59 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  [Image: post-366-1133618254.jpg]

Love this one.

Designed to sweep the flanks of panzers to get sappers trying to plant explosives.
18-06-2016, 05:49 PM
(18-06-2016 05:43 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 04:59 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  [Image: post-366-1133618254.jpg]

Love this one.

Designed to sweep the flanks of panzers to get sappers trying to plant explosives.

I know, it is just really funny looking.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-06-2016, 05:52 PM
(18-06-2016 05:49 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 05:43 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Designed to sweep the flanks of panzers to get sappers trying to plant explosives.

I know, it is just really funny looking.

Yeah, it does. My prof. at Purdue trotted that one out when he was looking for some startled expressions from the ROTC kids.