Historical Weapons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2016, 05:59 PM
RE: Historical Weapons
(18-06-2016 05:52 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 05:49 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I know, it is just really funny looking.

Yeah, it does. My prof. at Purdue trotted that one out when he was looking for some startled expressions from the ROTC kids.

That's impressive. From what I understand, those are rare.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2016, 06:38 PM
(18-06-2016 05:59 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 05:52 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Yeah, it does. My prof. at Purdue trotted that one out when he was looking for some startled expressions from the ROTC kids.

That's impressive. From what I understand, those are rare.
He left Germany with his family in 1937 and went to Palestine. In 1939 he joined the Jewish Brigade of the British Army. He fought in North Africa and Italy until 1945. After the war he went to school and became, eventually, a professor at Sandhurst.

He did have an impressive collection of "show-and-tell" items. My favorite was a "coal shuttle" helmet with a bullet hole in the left temple.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2016, 06:57 PM
[Image: strange-tank-nazi-motobike.jpg]

Aww... innit kewt?
[+] 4 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
18-06-2016, 07:16 PM
(18-06-2016 06:57 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  [Image: strange-tank-nazi-motobike.jpg]

Aww... innit kewt?

D'awwww, a baby A7V!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
18-06-2016, 10:23 PM
(18-06-2016 06:57 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  [Image: strange-tank-nazi-motobike.jpg]

Aww... innit kewt?

I don't know why but this is something I would picture Girly designing and building.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-06-2016, 10:45 PM
I see a lot of WTF looks in this pic.

[Image: holt-1-man1.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
19-06-2016, 12:15 AM
I'm rather fond of the Polish "tankette", the TKS-3.

[Image: polish-small-tank-tks.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
19-06-2016, 01:40 AM
"Dude, let's build a tank with five turrets!"

"Sure thing, bud -- and quit bogarting that bomber."

Presenting -- the T-35:

[Image: t35_002.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-06-2016, 07:00 AM
Oh, yeah, man. The Soviets did it right!

I'll see your Soviet coolness and raise you some good old 'Murkan badassery.

Presenting the T-95 Gun Motor Carriage, aka the T-28 Super Heavy Tank (really a tank destroyer), all 100 tons of American armored firepower, designed to crush German KingTigers. In World of Tanks, we call it the "Doom Turtle". Top speed 8 mph, max range 20 miles. Because of the limited range, the quad-tracked design was actually so the outer tracks could be removed to more-easily facilitate transport by rail car to the scene of the battle.

Two were built, but the war ended just before they could be finished. One was scrapped, and one is on display at a museum in Fort Knox, Kentucky.

[Image: t281.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-06-2016, 07:06 AM
(19-06-2016 07:00 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oh, yeah, man. The Soviets did it right!

I'll see your Soviet coolness and raise you some good old 'Murkan badassery.

Presenting the T-95 Gun Motor Carriage, aka the T-28 Super Heavy Tank (really a tank destroyer), all 100 tons of American armored firepower, designed to crush German KingTigers. In World of Tanks, we call it the "Doom Turtle". Top speed 8 mph, max range 20 miles. Because of the limited range, the quad-tracked design was actually so the outer tracks could be removed to more-easily facilitate transport by rail car to the scene of the battle.

Two were built, but the war ended just before they could be finished. One was scrapped, and one is on display at a museum in Fort Knox, Kentucky.

[Image: t281.jpg]

i play world of tanks as well, and can attest to the nastiness of that thing. slow as hell though.