Historical Weapons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2016, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2016 10:05 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: Historical Weapons
Ten inches of frontal armor, a five-inch cannon, and could kill anything on the field at distance ... the Jagdtiger:

[Image: 800px-Aberdeen_proving_grounds_025.JPG]

When it comes to tank destroyers, the Germans pretty much wrote the book.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-06-2016, 10:03 AM
(19-06-2016 07:00 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oh, yeah, man. The Soviets did it right!

I'll see your Soviet coolness and raise you some good old 'Murkan badassery.

Presenting the T-95 Gun Motor Carriage, aka the T-28 Super Heavy Tank (really a tank destroyer), all 100 tons of American armored firepower, designed to crush German KingTigers. In World of Tanks, we call it the "Doom Turtle". Top speed 8 mph, max range 20 miles. Because of the limited range, the quad-tracked design was actually so the outer tracks could be removed to more-easily facilitate transport by rail car to the scene of the battle.

Two were built, but the war ended just before they could be finished. One was scrapped, and one is on display at a museum in Fort Knox, Kentucky.

http://i2.wp.com/militaryhistorynow.com/...8/t281.jpg

So I went to the Wiki to do a little reading on the thing, and discovered this:

Quote:In 1974 the last prototype was discovered abandoned in a field at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. It is unknown where it spent the intervening 27 years.

Only the military can lose a 100-ton piece of gear.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-06-2016, 10:03 AM
(19-06-2016 09:57 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Ten inches of frontal armor, a five-inch cannon, and could kill anything on the field at distance:

No love for the JS-II?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
19-06-2016, 10:20 AM
(19-06-2016 10:03 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(19-06-2016 09:57 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Ten inches of frontal armor, a five-inch cannon, and could kill anything on the field at distance:

No love for the JS-II?

Oh, much love -- after catching up on this thread last night after work, I spent an hour or so, reading through the Wiki entries on Soviet armor of that era. Amazing stuff.
19-06-2016, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2016 10:35 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(19-06-2016 10:03 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  No love for the JS-II?

I drive one of those, on WoT. Smile

Edit to Add: Interesting tidbit about the IS-2 was that its initial gun, the 85mm carried over from the T-34 upgrade (itself upgraded to deal with Tiger tanks) was insufficient to deal with the heavily-armored German tank destroyers, so the Russians put on that big 122mm cannon you see in the picture. The shells were so large that the shell and propellant had to be loaded separately, leading to a much lower rate-of-fire... but it could pierce the Tiger and Panthers at ranges up to 1500m. They tried a 100mm cannon based on a naval antiaircraft weapon, but despite its even higher penetration (due to higher velocity of the shell), it was less useful if you wanted to fire high explosive shells in support of infantry or against bunkers so the Sovs went with the 122. Later versions such as the IS-3, -4, and -7 became some of the largest and most heavily-armored tanks of that era, the latter mounting a 130mm cannon. Modern Russian tanks run a 125mm auto-loader, while NATO tanks run a 120mm that is manually loaded with a single-piece round.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
19-06-2016, 10:54 AM
(19-06-2016 09:57 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Ten inches of frontal armor, a five-inch cannon, and could kill anything on the field at distance ... the Jagdtiger:

Bigger is better, but this is a bit over the edge. Here is my all time fav.
Please let me introduce you to Jagdpanzer V.
Sexy and powerful.

[Image: IM000272.jpg]
[Image: IM000238.jpg]
[Image: IM000234.jpg]
[Image: IM000233.jpg]
[Image: IM000232.jpg]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
19-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Yeah, the V is a scream, too.
19-06-2016, 01:51 PM
M-4 Sherman retrofitted with a flamethrower.

[Image: m-4-sherman-medium-tank-5.jpg]

... and that's all I have to say.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
19-06-2016, 03:59 PM
(19-06-2016 01:51 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  M-4 Sherman retrofitted with a flamethrower.

[Image: m-4-sherman-medium-tank-5.jpg]

... and that's all I have to say.

I raise you Bcelzebub flamethrowing Sherman on Iwo Jima.[Image: tank_beelzebub.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
19-06-2016, 04:07 PM
That could be my dad looking over the edge of the berm.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post