Historical Weapons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2016, 03:38 AM
RE: Historical Weapons
https://m.warhistoryonline.com/featured/...ution.html

Quote:USS Constitution, Built in 1797, The Only Active Ship In The US Navy That Has Sunk An Enemy Ship

[Image: USS_Constitution_Sail200d.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like yakherder's post
28-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Mighty Viking Ax Discovered in Tomb of Medieval ‘Power Couple’

http://www.livescience.com/55490-mighty-...-tomb.html

[Image: V01.jpeg?interpolation=lanczos-none&...side|660:*]

Unfortunately they don’t give the size...wtf? Still, pretty cool.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
28-07-2016, 06:40 PM
(20-06-2016 02:45 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(19-06-2016 01:51 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  M-4 Sherman retrofitted with a flamethrower.

[Image: m-4-sherman-medium-tank-5.jpg]

... and that's all I have to say.

lol, I made a meme out of that pic once:

[Image: nv4960.jpg]

That would suck to be in that lightly armored tank with all that extra fuel and plumbing onboard.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
28-07-2016, 08:25 PM
[Image: 019.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
29-07-2016, 05:52 AM
(28-07-2016 08:25 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  [Image: 019.jpg]

Looks pretty unwieldy..

Triples are cool.... One of the nicest I saw as a German capture gun (presented by a captured German officer to an American officer - in hopes of preferential treatment).... Handmade 8mm Mauser over a 20 gauge side x side -- with the shotgun barrels choked modified, and full......

With a thumb activated barrel selector - and a single trigger that automatically re-staged... (not sure how it worked - the guys at the shop I worked at figured it was recoil operated -- but nobody had the nerve to take it apart to see for sure)....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-07-2016, 06:06 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2016 06:10 AM by SunnyD1.)
I always find it astounding how many tactics and weapons used in the West were pioneered by the Romans.

Last year a PHD student was telling me about how the Romans were at the pinnacle of infantry warfare however they never really mastered sea-warfare which was a major disadvantage to their imperial ambitions because of their geographical location... having to cross the Mediterranean to go most places.

So, they thought "how can we use infantry at sea?", invented the Harpax to compliment the Corvus and wallah, every enemy ship that they came into contact with was harpooned, boarded and commandeered!

I love how Roman minds worked. They didn't think, "we'll train to be better at naval warfare" they just took land warfare to sea lol. (although that in effect did make them better at naval warfare I guess)

Just to highlight the relevence of this post to the thread, I think the Harpax is a brilliant weapon, not in the sense of the bodily harm it caused (though it did result in a lot of it) but in the sense of the advantage it gave the Romans over enemies.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 2 users Like SunnyD1's post
29-07-2016, 07:42 AM
(29-07-2016 05:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 08:25 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  [Image: 019.jpg]

Looks pretty unwieldy..

Triples are cool.... One of the nicest I saw as a German capture gun (presented by a captured German officer to an American officer - in hopes of preferential treatment).... Handmade 8mm Mauser over a 20 gauge side x side -- with the shotgun barrels choked modified, and full......

With a thumb activated barrel selector - and a single trigger that automatically re-staged... (not sure how it worked - the guys at the shop I worked at figured it was recoil operated -- but nobody had the nerve to take it apart to see for sure)....

i kinda cheated. thats a prop of the quad shotgun used in one of the Phantasm movies.
29-07-2016, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2016 07:58 AM by Full Circle.)
(29-07-2016 06:06 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I always find it astounding how many tactics and weapons used in the West were pioneered by the Romans.

Last year a PHD student was telling me about how the Romans were at the pinnacle of infantry warfare however they never really mastered sea-warfare which was a major disadvantage to their imperial ambitions because of their geographical location... having to cross the Mediterranean to go most places.

So, they thought "how can we use infantry at sea?", invented the Harpax to compliment the Corvus and wallah, every enemy ship that they came into contact with was harpooned, boarded and commandeered!

I love how Roman minds worked. They didn't think, "we'll train to be better at naval warfare" they just took land warfare to sea lol. (although that in effect did make them better at naval warfare I guess)

Just to highlight the relevence of this post to the thread, I think the Harpax is a brilliant weapon, not in the sense of the bodily harm it caused (though it did result in a lot of it) but in the sense of the advantage it gave the Romans over enemies.

Had to look it up, learned something new Thumbsup

[Image: 13988-harpaxsystem.png]

[Image: 35a7i3n.jpg]

Check out this site for weaponry.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthrea...tion/page8

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Some of my favorite historical weapons.

Katar! (dagger)
[Image: latest?cb=20101108050231]

Trebuchet

[Image: Trebuchet_Castelnaud.jpg]

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
01-08-2016, 02:05 PM
[Image: desktop-1409112329.png]

Boiling oil...

[Image: 840589628_FNnSb-L-1.jpg]

...chased with some fire arrows.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post