Historical Weapons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2016, 09:06 AM
RE: Historical Weapons
Catapult vs Trebuchet

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2016/07...lasobscura

What Are the Tactical Advantages of a Trebuchet Over a Catapult?

"It’s important to note, therefore, that catapults do more things than trebuchets do. They were frighteningly accurate, as both ancient sources and modern reconstructions attest. Dart-throwing catapults were, I kid you not, used to snipe individual soldiers off of fortification walls from far beyond bowshot (the longest range attested for a dart-thrower is 700 yards; the longest achieved by modern reconstructions something like 400—still way beyond the effective range of any bow ever made).”

[Image: 79420_catapult_md.gif]

Also known as a Ballista.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
10-08-2016, 05:20 AM
Quote:Dart-throwing catapults were, I kid you not, used to snipe individual soldiers off of fortification walls from far beyond bowshot

what the actual fuck...
Those Romans were truly a smart bunch.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-08-2016, 05:41 AM
(10-08-2016 05:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Dart-throwing catapults were, I kid you not, used to snipe individual soldiers off of fortification walls from far beyond bowshot

what the actual fuck...
Those Romans were truly a smart bunch.

How have I missed this thread?

The above is indeed true. Earmuffs, they used to flood the Flavian amphitheatre with water and hold naval battles. Seriously. Astounding.

I have to read this thread. I may contribute Asian weapons since I studied both Chinese and Japanese weapons and Korean staff for many years.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
10-08-2016, 07:10 AM
A good old-fashioned pointy stick. Simple, cheap, and effective.

[Image: coal_mine_spear_wide.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
10-08-2016, 08:14 AM
(10-08-2016 07:10 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  A good old-fashioned pointy stick. Simple, cheap, and effective.

[Image: coal_mine_spear_wide.jpg]

During the Vietnam war the Viet Cong used them very effectively, they called them Punji sticks.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
11-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Hi,

I'm recently into collecting and using hand catapults. Amazing power with half inch lead balls.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave

Best fun is 'firing' into smooth water at 60yds+ ranges. Smile

D.
[+] 3 users Like Dworkin's post
11-08-2016, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 05:10 PM by skyking.)
We had wrist rockets as kids.
https://www.sausa.com/product.php?id=7&category=16

They produced a significant velocity, and I was good enough to shoot starlings off the power line.
We made our own devious rounds from lead wool and nails, ball bearings, crab apples.

EDIT: LOL, amazon won't sell the wrist rocket, only the ammo and accessories. Illegal in some jurisdictions, and Australia Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
11-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Have not read the entire thread yet.

Roman boxers gloves were made rope soaked in oil with broken glass embedded in them.

Nasty.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
11-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Here is an old Chinese weapon, the nine section whip. Each section is steel helt together by three rings. Very sharp blade. I used to perform with this. I have not done so in many years now.

Here is one blunted for practice.

[Image: 370839221_524.jpg]

Here is a performance.

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
12-08-2016, 01:32 AM
Presenting the Naginata:

[Image: naginata-feature-girl.png]

It's essentially a short sword on the end of a short polearm. It was used by both men and women, but was a favored weapon of females trained to fight, and often hung above the doorway as a weapon to grab in defense against someone trying to get in. If you're a fan of the movie The Last Samurai, as I am, you can see one being used by one of the older (male) warriors in the village, in several scenes where they're practicing together, and in the battle scenes.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post