Historical Weapons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2016, 01:40 AM
RE: Historical Weapons
(12-08-2016 01:32 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Presenting the Naginata:

[Image: naginata-feature-girl.png]

It's essentially a short sword on the end of a short polearm. It was used by both men and women, but was a favored weapon of females trained to fight, and often hung above the doorway as a weapon to grab in defense against someone trying to get in. If you're a fan of the movie The Last Samurai, as I am, you can see one being used by one of the older (male) warriors in the village, in several scenes where they're practicing together, and in the battle scenes.

Hiroyuki Sanada and Ken Watanabe owned Cruise imho. I am, in fact, a Sanada fanboy. There, i said it.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2016, 04:09 AM
(12-08-2016 01:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Hiroyuki Sanada and Ken Watanabe owned Cruise imho. I am, in fact, a Sanada fanboy. There, i said it.

And I'm a Ken Watanabe fanboy. That guy is amazing in everything I've ever seen him in... I cannot for the life of me understand why they don't put him in every third movie made. An amazing actor.

Cruise did actually act in that film, though, surprisingly enough. The man has talent; it was simply outdone by Sanada and Watanabe.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
12-08-2016, 04:47 AM
(12-08-2016 04:09 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(12-08-2016 01:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Hiroyuki Sanada and Ken Watanabe owned Cruise imho. I am, in fact, a Sanada fanboy. There, i said it.

And I'm a Ken Watanabe fanboy. That guy is amazing in everything I've ever seen him in... I cannot for the life of me understand why they don't put him in every third movie made. An amazing actor.

Cruise did actually act in that film, though, surprisingly enough. The man has talent; it was simply outdone by Sanada and Watanabe.

Yeah, love him too, he was great in "Letters from Iwo Jima".
My japanese co-worker always smiles when i tell him about my love for Sanada and Watanabe. He told me that particularly Sanada is a huge star over there.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
12-08-2016, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 08:29 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(11-08-2016 05:04 PM)skyking Wrote:  We had wrist rockets as kids.
https://www.sausa.com/product.php?id=7&category=16

They produced a significant velocity, and I was good enough to shoot starlings off the power line.
We made our own devious rounds from lead wool and nails, ball bearings, crab apples.

EDIT: LOL, amazon won't sell the wrist rocket, only the ammo and accessories. Illegal in some jurisdictions, and Australia Big Grin

We used to take ours to the movie theater ... and try to hit the movie stars with wads of gum.
20-09-2016, 07:31 AM
"Lab tests showed the man died in the 1200s—600 years before European settlers and their metal tools reached the area. And a new study in the current issue of Antiquity suggests the unique wounds likely came from a homegrown weapon: the boomerang. "

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/...picks=true

[Image: 03_boomerang.adapt.1190.1.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
20-09-2016, 10:29 PM
[Image: bolas-native-american-300x225.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
21-09-2016, 04:58 AM
(20-09-2016 10:29 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  [Image: bolas-native-american-300x225.jpg]

Bola! Do we know the oldest example found and dated?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-09-2016, 05:46 AM
(21-09-2016 04:58 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 10:29 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  [Image: bolas-native-american-300x225.jpg]

Bola! Do we know the oldest example found and dated?

No idea

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
21-09-2016, 05:54 AM
(14-06-2016 11:03 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 10:13 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Ancient "Stuka"? Gasp

You know Stuka?!

The Brits were terrorized by them.
Coming in late here.

At least with a Stuka you knew it was coming and, since it was a dive bomber, see roughly where it was aiming. So long as you could not see the colour of the pilot's eyes he was probably after someone else!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
21-09-2016, 06:00 AM
(21-09-2016 05:46 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 04:58 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Bola! Do we know the oldest example found and dated?

No idea

Curses. I'll have to do some digging. (Not literally, too lazy for hard/moderate/mild work.)

Wiki speaketh thusly:

Quote:A bolas (plural: bolas or bolases; from Spanish bola, "ball", also known as boleadoras) is a type of throwing weapon made of weights on the ends of interconnected cords, used to capture animals by entangling their legs. Bolas were most famously used by the gauchos ( Argentinian cowboys), but have been found in excavations of Pre-Columbian settlements, especially in Patagonia, where indigenous peoples (particularly the Tehuelche) used them to catch 200-pound guanaco (llama-like mammals) and ñandú (birds). The Mapuche and the Inca army used them in battle. Researchers have also found bolas in North America at the Calico Early Man Site.[citation needed]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post