Historical Weapons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2016, 06:01 AM
RE: Historical Weapons
Chinese repeating crossbow

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
21-09-2016, 06:09 AM
The Greeks had grander ideas, a repeating ballista!
[Image: 2564lxs.jpg]

the Greek-made Polybolos was easily the most complex repeating artillery system of the ancient world. Supposedly invented by Dionysius of Alexandria, a 3rd-century BC Greek engineer who worked at the arsenal of Rhodes, the mechanism was akin to a catapult that could boast of a ‘machine gun’ like setup. To that end, its description as given by Philo of Byzantium in late 3rd century BC, entailed an array of inverted gears that powered its chain-link drive. This advanced installation (which by the way is also the oldest known application of such a mechanism) was used for both the cocking (placement of bolts after bolts into a fixed slot) and their firing sequence.

This flat-link chain in turn was connected to a windlass that was worked on by the soldier (in both counter-clockwise and clockwise manner) to lock, load and fire in a repeating fashion. To that end, the repetitive ambit itself was achieved with the help of a wooden magazine designed over the ‘mensa’ (the box that houses the bolt before its firing) that could easily store over a dozen bolts. In fact, this very repetitive attribute of the weapon system gave its name Polybolos, which roughly translates to “throwing many missiles”. And if interested, you can also take a gander at other Greek and later Roman artillery pieces that may been inspired by the use of such torsion-based mechanisms.

[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
22-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a crossbow. I rarely use it as it scares the s*** out of me.

A usefully lethal weapon for the medieval footsoldier. Evil_monster

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
22-09-2016, 07:04 PM
[Image: 01+Strychnos+psilosperma+detail+Reinke+S...l+2012.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
22-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Good stuff, 'Cester -- will be prowling the web tonight reading about this.
22-09-2016, 11:59 PM
(22-09-2016 03:34 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a crossbow. I rarely use it as it scares the s*** out of me.

D.
A fellow airman made a crossbow when I was in the RAG.

He fired it at a dartboard hanging on the billet door from about 6 feet. The bolt went through the dartboard, though the ply panel in the door of the bunkroom, ditto the bunkroom door opposite, and made a severe dent in a steel locker at the far side.

Luckily no people were in the line of flight. We left it up to him to explain it. He came clean in the end. We never saw him again!

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
24-09-2016, 02:08 AM
(22-09-2016 11:59 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 03:34 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

D.
A fellow airman made a crossbow when I was in the RAG.

He fired it at a dartboard hanging on the billet door from about 6 feet. The bolt went through the dartboard, though the ply panel in the door of the bunkroom, ditto the bunkroom door opposite, and made a severe dent in a steel locker at the far side.

Luckily no people were in the line of flight. We left it up to him to explain it. He came clean in the end. We never saw him again!

Gloucester,

It's true! There is all this stuff about licensing low power airguns in Scotland, and there is no law against a 175lb compound crossbow anywhere in the UK. Someone told me its to do with Magna Carta and a yeoman's rights. I just think that the politicians haven't noticed.

My bow penetrates a 2 ft thick rubber target boss all the way in. I have to grease the bolts so I can pull them out again.

D.

PS - On the OP subject. What about slingshots? I have a slingshot that can put a 6mm lead ball out to 100yds. That technology is so old its biblical.
24-09-2016, 03:35 AM
(16-06-2016 06:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've often thought of a adding a trebuchet to my arsenal....

Big Grin

[Image: treb-dad.jpg]

I could have some serious fun with one of those puppies...

Check out this son of a bitch.....

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
24-09-2016, 03:38 AM
(19-06-2016 07:00 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oh, yeah, man. The Soviets did it right!

I'll see your Soviet coolness and raise you some good old 'Murkan badassery.

Presenting the T-95 Gun Motor Carriage, aka the T-28 Super Heavy Tank (really a tank destroyer), all 100 tons of American armored firepower, designed to crush German KingTigers. In World of Tanks, we call it the "Doom Turtle". Top speed 8 mph, max range 20 miles. Because of the limited range, the quad-tracked design was actually so the outer tracks could be removed to more-easily facilitate transport by rail car to the scene of the battle.

Two were built, but the war ended just before they could be finished. One was scrapped, and one is on display at a museum in Fort Knox, Kentucky.

[Image: t281.jpg]

That's a big fucking tank....

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
24-09-2016, 07:44 AM
(24-09-2016 02:08 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  PS - On the OP subject. What about slingshots? I have a slingshot that can put a 6mm lead ball out to 100yds. That technology is so old its biblical.

If you are referring to David and Goliath, David used a sling, not a slingshot.

[Image: david_and_goliath.jpg]

[Image: Ancient-Weapons-The-Sling-3.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user