Historical Weapons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2016, 05:38 AM
RE: Historical Weapons
(02-10-2016 04:45 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  The German Army, in WWII, had hobnails on their boots. They were very handy for transmitting the cold Russian winter through the boots and to the feet.
Mountaineers and artic explorers used triple hobs and triconis on their boots until after the last war. Plus thick socks!

The Romans used the hobs, with a steel last to turn the points, as "staples" for the two sole layers as well as forming a "tread". Then felt formed the insole for comfort.

The upper was sewn to the top sole layer and the bottom one gave structure and protected the stitching from road wear. My blacksmith father used to repair his working boots using hobnails and modern adhesive as well as stitching.

Made the hobnail one of the longest lasting inventions, after the bow and the wheel, I think! Oh, and the axe, the hammer, the saw . . .

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2016, 05:59 AM
(02-10-2016 05:38 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Made the hobnail one of the longest lasting inventions, after the bow and the wheel, I think! Oh, and the axe, the hammer, the saw . . .

BEER!!!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2016, 06:09 AM
(02-10-2016 05:59 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 05:38 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Made the hobnail one of the longest lasting inventions, after the bow and the wheel, I think! Oh, and the axe, the hammer, the saw . . .

BEER!!!!!

Naw, that was an accident and someone too thirsty to worry that the juice had a funny smell and bubbles on top!

Baccy, and probably wacky baccy, was discovered when using certain dried leave to light a fire. Blow on the kindling, breath in; oops, got some of the smoke. . . Hmm, do that again - and again . . . Yeaaaah, cool!

02-10-2016, 06:20 AM
(02-10-2016 06:09 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 05:59 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  BEER!!!!!

Naw, that was an accident and someone too thirsty to worry that the juice had a funny smell and bubbles on top!

Baccy, and probably wacky baccy, was discovered when using certain dried leave to light a fire. Blow on the kindling, breath in; oops, got some of the smoke. . . Hmm, do that again - and again . . . Yeaaaah, cool!

The original brew may have been an accident, but any hobbist will tell you that brewing proper beer is an art. In fact you probably won't get him to shut up about it. Laugh out load
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
05-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Roman Bullets Tell Story of 1,800-Year-Old Attack on Scottish Fort

[Image: RR-1.jpeg?interpolation=lanczos-none&...side|660:*]

"A bloody assault by Roman legions on a hill fort in Scotland around 1,800 years ago is being pieced together using the remains of Roman missile weapons that were used in the attack.

The excavations at Burnswark Hill, in the Dumfries region of southwest Scotland, have unearthed the largest cache of Roman lead sling bullets yet discovered — part of the huge arsenal of missile ammunition used by the attacking legions to subdue the native defenders of the hilltop fort.

So many sling bullets and other Roman missiles have now been found at Burnswark Hill that archaeologists think the raid was staged as a warning to anyone who resisted Roman rule: an act of "exemplary violence" designed to terrorize the Scottish tribes into submission, the researchers said."
http://www.livescience.com/56365-roman-a...0161005-ls

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
05-10-2016, 06:12 PM
(05-10-2016 05:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Roman Bullets Tell Story of 1,800-Year-Old Attack on Scottish Fort

"A bloody assault by Roman legions on a hill fort in Scotland around 1,800 years ago is being pieced together using the remains of Roman missile weapons that were used in the attack.

The excavations at Burnswark Hill, in the Dumfries region of southwest Scotland, have unearthed the largest cache of Roman lead sling bullets yet discovered — part of the huge arsenal of missile ammunition used by the attacking legions to subdue the native defenders of the hilltop fort.

So many sling bullets and other Roman missiles have now been found at Burnswark Hill that archaeologists think the raid was staged as a warning to anyone who resisted Roman rule: an act of "exemplary violence" designed to terrorize the Scottish tribes into submission, the researchers said."

Looks like a bunch of rocks to me.
06-10-2016, 01:45 AM
(05-10-2016 06:12 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 05:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Roman Bullets Tell Story of 1,800-Year-Old Attack on Scottish Fort

Lead oxidises to white in time that will take colour from the surrounding soil.

[Image: 6th1s1.jpg]

16-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Hurricane Matthew has unearthed a pile of Civil War era cannonballs in South Carolina.

http://www.livescience.com/56458-hurrica...balls.html

[Image: CuWkn6bWcAAEfas.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
16-10-2016, 08:00 PM
(16-10-2016 07:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hurricane Matthew has unearthed a pile of Civil War era cannonballs in South Carolina.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
16-10-2016, 09:48 PM
(16-10-2016 08:00 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(16-10-2016 07:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hurricane Matthew has unearthed a pile of Civil War era cannonballs in South Carolina.

DodgyDodgy

Big Grin