Historical Weapons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2016, 12:29 PM
RE: Historical Weapons
(14-06-2016 12:15 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 12:02 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yes, in the Battle of Agincourt was the end of a long and difficult march in bad weather conditions, and as a result of the poor English grasp of camp sanitation most of them were sick with Dysentery, while the French were fresh to the field. It makes the English resistance at that battle even more remarkable.

Though a great and highly athletic warrior, known for being able to vault onto the back of his horse in full armor, it is worth noting that Henry V shit himself to death at the age of 36.

That's how I wanna leave this world.

Dont we already have another thread for this? Dodgy Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
14-06-2016, 12:41 PM
(14-06-2016 12:29 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 12:15 PM)yakherder Wrote:  That's how I wanna leave this world.

Dont we already have another thread for this? Dodgy Tongue

Yeah but I changed my mind based off the information in this thread. I want to die shitting myself in battle, and I want it to be written in the form of a pictograph on my pyramid that I'm buried in.

'Murican Canadian
14-06-2016, 12:52 PM
(14-06-2016 12:06 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 12:02 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yes, in the Battle of Agincourt was the end of a long and difficult march in bad weather conditions, and as a result of the poor English grasp of camp sanitation most of them were sick with Dysentery, while the French were fresh to the field. It makes the English resistance at that battle even more remarkable.

Though a great and highly athletic warrior, known for being able to vault onto the back of his horse in full armor, it is worth noting that Henry V shit himself to death at the age of 36.
I've read that the archers could put three arrows in the air at the same time, consecutively, of course. Is that true?

Yes, probably, but I suspect it was not a common skill.

The rate of fire I stated is sustained fire.

It was possible to fire it MUCH faster, but because of the 80-100 pound draw, it would quickly tire you out.

Edit to Add: An interesting historical tidbit is that the French hated the longbowmen so much that they would cut off the two "draw fingers" from captured bowmen, in order to ensure their unique skill set could not be employed against them in the future. (And to discourage others from joining the English army, of course.) The archers began to hold up their two fingers to the French as a gesture of defiance, like "I've still got 'em, you bloody frogs!"

As a result, the British version of the American "middle finger" is the first two digits held up.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
14-06-2016, 12:52 PM
(14-06-2016 12:41 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 12:29 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Dont we already have another thread for this? Dodgy Tongue

Yeah but I changed my mind based off the information in this thread. I want to die shitting myself in battle, and I want it to be written in the form of a pictograph on my pyramid that I'm buried in.

A poo-pyramid?

[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
14-06-2016, 12:58 PM
(14-06-2016 12:52 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 12:06 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I've read that the archers could put three arrows in the air at the same time, consecutively, of course. Is that true?

It was possible to fire it MUCH faster, but because of the 80-100 pound draw, it would quickly tire you out.

Edit to Add: An interesting historical tidbit is that the French hated the longbowmen so much that they would cut off the two "draw fingers" from captured bowmen, in order to ensure their unique skill set could not be employed against them in the future. (And to discourage others from joining the English army, of course.) The archers began to hold up their two fingers to the French as a gesture of defiance, like "I've still got 'em, you bloody frogs!"

As a result, the British version of the American "middle finger" is the first two digits held up.

The "release" my friend uses doesn't require any fingers, he "fires" the bow with his thumb. Did they come up with anything like that back then?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2016, 01:05 PM
(14-06-2016 12:58 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  The "release" my friend uses doesn't require any fingers, he "fires" the bow with his thumb. Did they come up with anything like that back then?

There is NO WAY he fires a 100-pound-draw, 2-meter-tall yew wood longbow, which must be drawn back behind the ear, with only his thumb. Many archers had to use three fingers.

However, even if it is possible to do so, I am unfamiliar with any examples of it. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, of course.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
14-06-2016, 01:09 PM
(14-06-2016 12:06 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I've read that the archers could put three arrows in the air at the same time, consecutively, of course. Is that true?

thats hilarious.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
14-06-2016, 01:12 PM
why didnt the french use the longbow as well? i dont get it.
14-06-2016, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2016 01:45 PM by Deesse23.)
(14-06-2016 01:12 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  why didnt the french use the longbow as well? i dont get it.

To many knights, and particularly to the french nobility (who made up the bulk of the force at Agincourt for example), the bow was not a honourable knights weapon, much like the u-boat in WWI. They considered non-hand-to-hand combat dishonorable. The bow was the ultimate dishonourable weapon to them.

14-06-2016, 01:43 PM

My husband does traditional archery and he's made a few longbows from osage wood. It wasn't easy, let me tell you. I heard him cursing over Carving it and getting the exact pull correct was a chore. Anyway, he told me that very same thing about cutting off the fingers and waving them at the French.

My understanding is that diseased dead bodies and dead cows were actually flung over castle walls to sicken the enemy so the Monty Python flying cow scene was historically correct.

Knights who say NI!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post