Historical Weapons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 10:48 AM
RE: Historical Weapons
(15-06-2016 01:51 AM)Einharjar Wrote:  In response to the OP:
Whistling Arrows were a think too. Were used just about everywhere, China, Japan, Europe, Mid-East
[Image: 5286622ba70caf50922c2d56a701a365.jpg]

Whistling arrows are a pain, but Boars or War Dogs would likely be worse, especially since most armies that used Boars as war animals (including the Romans) lit the poor critters on fire so that in their panic and pain, they'd never stop their charge into an enemy. Incendiary Pigs, screaming, writhing, charging you by the hundreds. Yeah, I'd rather take the arrows or rocks.

Most weapons back then were pretty nasty. From the Golden Horde blockading a city so that they couldn't get out and then catapulting dead bodies over the walls (including Cows, just like Monty Python) to Chariots with scythes on the wheels to maim you on a drive by, nothing back then was particularly nice. Even the basic fighting weapons were pretty terrible.

There's tales of what the Greeks encountered when the fought the Roman Legions for the first time. The Roman Gladius, particular the Iberian based one (the most used for war fare until the later years of the Empire) was just as much as a hacking tool as it was a thrusting weapon. Roman CQC doctrine relied on thrusts from behind the shield, by sword dancing was still an option too, anything goes when you're fighting for your life amongst the crowded chaos. Greeks had stories of how the Roman's Gladius and it's broadened blade acted as an axe, and was hewing limbs off as Roman attempted hacking and slashing swings. Because the Gladius is not that long, it lacked the mass to provide the inertia to power the swing to cut all the way through most limbs, living Greek Hoplites with nearly hacked off arms and legs that were only hanging on by stings of skin and sinew. That grizzly picture provided by the Greeks just shows you are terrible close quarter's combat back then was. Any combat with CQC is quite brutal.
My Grandfather served IN D-Day, but he served in Italy, Sicily and in Africa and the Battle of the Bulge through middle Europe under Patton. While he never said much about D-Day, he said only ONE thing about Italy - he said it was worse. To prove it, he saved an old Italian Bayonet. It was designed to be detached from the weapon, with it's hollow hilt large enough to be used in hand combat. It's lower tang on the blade was serrated, and the blade was broad. I can image then, what he meant. In those battles in Italy, from house to house and building to building, Americans and Italians were literally hacking each other to pieces like the Legions of old. It must've been a blood bath.

The whistling arrow sound sort of reminds me of the D -Day little cricket clicker supplied to some of the paratroopers before landing. It wasn't a weapon but a way to communicate with each other in the darkness and confusion of the D-Day landing. . Saved many lives I suspect.

[Image: 5036154_orig.jpg?124]

This guy tells about them. (Love his accent!)

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
15-06-2016, 10:49 AM
(14-06-2016 02:42 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 01:05 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  There is NO WAY he fires a 100-pound-draw, 2-meter-tall yew wood longbow, which must be drawn back behind the ear, with only his thumb. Many archers had to use three fingers.

However, even if it is possible to do so, I am unfamiliar with any examples of it. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, of course.

No, sorry for the poor word picture. He has a claw-thing that fits on his forearm, and he releases the claw with his thumb. It's a homebrew deal because he has arthritis, so I don't know if the sport has them generally.

When I was a kid the only archer I ever knew had had his arm amputated half way between the elbow and the wrist. He had a modified hook he used instead of his regular one when he was shooting his bow. Have no idea the strength of his bow, except that when he offered to my father an accountant, he couldn't pull it.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
15-06-2016, 11:05 AM
(15-06-2016 10:04 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Ah... bloody Romans! What've they ever done for us!

One of my favorite parts about being on an atheist website is that I can count on people to get and to make Life of Brian references.

Thumbsup

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-06-2016, 02:58 PM
[Image: cache_944945480.JPG?t=1439761016]

Macuahuitl, a Mezoamerican war club with obsidian blades.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
15-06-2016, 04:54 PM
That's pretty frightful.

I'm a big wuss ... most weapons wielded against me would scare hell out of me.

Side note: As a USAF firefighter during Desert Storm, I served with the 801st BW in Spain. We based 24 G-model B-52s flying raids over northern Iraq.

One night in early February 91 we got toned out for an in-flight emergency. A bomber had taken some damage from the near-miss of a SAM, and the crew decided to wing the still-flyable airplane home where repair facilities were in place instead of diverting to Sigonella. It had one M117 hung on a wing rack.

So we roll out at 3 AM and take up stand-by spots in case SHTF. My truck, being fastest in the station, took up rescue position, and I could see the 750 pounder between cockpit and #4 engine as the bomber turns onto the runway hammerhead -- and the jar from stopping a 180,000-lb plane doing 15 mph rocks the bomb loose. It hits the concrete and bounces, fortunately away from the plane ... but towards us. (It didn't explode as it had not had time to fuse itself with sufficient free-fall).

Now, I know my truck was the fastest in that station, because I had that sonofabitch turned around and headed for the 2,500-ft withdrawal line before the orders got radioed to us.

The next day, we pulled standby in a nearby farmer's field while EOD cooked the bomb off. It left a crater 40 yards wide and 25 deep ... and each B-52 carried 51 of those things.

Now that's a weapons system that would scare me silly.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
15-06-2016, 05:33 PM
A guy I used to work with was in the USAF in the '60s, in Viet Nam. A jet came back for service, and he pulled a lever (I'm not conversant with the nomenclature, so go easy on me) to release the bomb rack to reload it, and a bomb fell out. He turned around to run, but the team lead just said, "You can't outrun it", he realized the truth of it, and he stopped. Gasp

Another candidate for the wiping thread- your clothes.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-06-2016, 06:28 PM
A slight diversion from the topic, but I have to tell y'all my favorite tidbit about the Air Force.

The C-141 has a big red warning light in the cockpit that says WING OFF.

That's right, there's a 4-engine jet in the USAF that has a "wing off" light!

(It actually refers to the front-edge slats, which function similarly to the flaps at the back of a wing. If the system detects a failure of one of the slats, it deactivates and retracts both to keep the lift symmetrical. The "wing off" light actually means "the wing leading edge slat deployment systems have been turned off", but I guess that wouldn't fit on a warning light.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
15-06-2016, 06:38 PM
(15-06-2016 02:58 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  [Image: cache_944945480.JPG?t=1439761016]

Macuahuitl, a Mezoamerican war club with obsidian blades.

Um..........ouch.

15-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Those Romans really had their shit together. I'd briefly heard of this weapon when I was researching costumes for a Julius Caesar production. I get sidetracked when I do research and start reading other stuff.

[Image: ballistaplanside.jpg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballista It looks a bit like a catipult but it's not. From Wikipedia......

The design of the ballista was such that it could be built in small to large sizes and could be configured to throw either stones or bolts.

Geeze, am I the only female that's posting in this thread? I don't know what that says about me. Lol. Tongue

[+] 8 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-06-2016, 08:08 PM
(15-06-2016 07:03 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 04:28 AM)Banjo Wrote:  What in this thread is the definition of "historical"? Is there and age limit? say for instance The middle ages, or does 20th century weaponry count as well.

Forgive me. My brain is moving rather slowly at present.

Whatever you like Banjo. There isn’t a litmus test. If you want we can say it has to be older than Chas to qualify. Angel

So, pre-Medieval? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post