Historical Weapons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 08:09 PM
RE: Historical Weapons
(15-06-2016 06:28 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  A slight diversion from the topic, but I have to tell y'all my favorite tidbit about the Air Force.

The C-141 has a big red warning light in the cockpit that says WING OFF.

That's right, there's a 4-engine jet in the USAF that has a "wing off" light!

(It actually refers to the front-edge slats, which function similarly to the flaps at the back of a wing. If the system detects a failure of one of the slats, it deactivates and retracts both to keep the lift symmetrical. The "wing off" light actually means "the wing leading edge slat deployment systems have been turned off", but I guess that wouldn't fit on a warning light.)

I saw a pre-flight check list that started like this:

1. Wheels down and locked.

Ummm, what if they're up when you decide to taxi?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
15-06-2016, 08:31 PM
(15-06-2016 07:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Those Romans really had their shit together. I'd briefly heard of this weapon when I was researching costumes for a Julius Caesar production. I get sidetracked when I do research and start reading other stuff.

[Image: ballistaplanside.jpg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballista It looks a bit like a catipult but it's not. From Wikipedia......

The design of the ballista was such that it could be built in small to large sizes and could be configured to throw either stones or bolts.

Geeze, am I the only female that's posting in this thread? I don't know what that says about me. Lol. Tongue

OK, after a half hour and 10 tabs in a browser I'm back from wikipedia. Thanks Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
15-06-2016, 08:42 PM
(15-06-2016 02:58 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  [Image: cache_944945480.JPG?t=1439761016]

Macuahuitl, a Mezoamerican war club with obsidian blades.

The marks will buff out.
15-06-2016, 08:45 PM
(15-06-2016 07:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Those Romans really had their shit together. I'd briefly heard of this weapon when I was researching costumes for a Julius Caesar production. I get sidetracked when I do research and start reading other stuff.

[Image: ballistaplanside.jpg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballista It looks a bit like a catipult but it's not. From Wikipedia......

The design of the ballista was such that it could be built in small to large sizes and could be configured to throw either stones or bolts.

Geeze, am I the only female that's posting in this thread? I don't know what that says about me. Lol. Tongue

:swoon: You evil little thing! Truth be told, I've encountered a few women I wouldn't actually have wanted have had to fight.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-06-2016, 09:52 PM
(15-06-2016 06:28 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That's right, there's a 4-engine jet in the USAF that has a "wing off" light!

No offense to any readers, but as enlisted AF, I can say I've met more than a few butterbars who'd need such a warning.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
15-06-2016, 09:53 PM
(15-06-2016 08:42 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 02:58 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  [Image: cache_944945480.JPG?t=1439761016]

The marks will buff out.

I take it you refin guitars for a hobby?
15-06-2016, 10:31 PM

Nice!

I’ll see your obsidian blade and raise you a Polynesian shark tooth war club.

[Image: e6b094733ba5fb766df24742c09aaf0d.jpg]

In case you’re wondering, those are Tiger shark teeth.

[Image: g_aduncus_id.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
15-06-2016, 10:37 PM
(15-06-2016 08:09 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 06:28 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  A slight diversion from the topic, but I have to tell y'all my favorite tidbit about the Air Force.

The C-141 has a big red warning light in the cockpit that says WING OFF.

That's right, there's a 4-engine jet in the USAF that has a "wing off" light!

(It actually refers to the front-edge slats, which function similarly to the flaps at the back of a wing. If the system detects a failure of one of the slats, it deactivates and retracts both to keep the lift symmetrical. The "wing off" light actually means "the wing leading edge slat deployment systems have been turned off", but I guess that wouldn't fit on a warning light.)

I saw a pre-flight check list that started like this:

1. Wheels down and locked.

Ummm, what if they're up when you decide to taxi?
It's about the position of the lever. Depending on the aircraft, you can select gear up and nothing happens until a squat switch is activated when the gear suspension travel is reached. Then the system starts retracting the gear. This can be problematic if you have an unfortunate bounce Smile
The 310 honks a horn when you select gear up with the squat switch engaged.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
16-06-2016, 06:16 AM
I've often thought of a adding a trebuchet to my arsenal....

Big Grin

[Image: treb-dad.jpg]

I could have some serious fun with one of those puppies...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-06-2016, 07:22 AM
(16-06-2016 06:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've often thought of a adding a trebuchet to my arsenal....

Big Grin

[Image: treb-dad.jpg]

I could have some serious fun with one of those puppies...
I donated a car to our local "Flinger Fan Club". She took one last flight of fancy, then one last trip to the recycler.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user