Historically the craziest cult on Earth.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Historically the craziest cult on Earth.
The Kool-aid cult from Jonestown, historically the largest mass suicide (in actuality-MURDER) cult ever known.

It's crazy to think of and easy to dismiss as silly or tragic, but the reality is earth-shattering and truly terrifying. I watched this a couple of days ago while working and had to rewind and give my full attention because it is truly mystifying and unbelievable. This makes me more than ever want to demystify and smoosh every last fibre of woo out there. Those poor people, those babies. What's harder to swallow is that I could easily see myself in this situation had I been dealt a different life in the time and place of these people.

Riveting, if you ask me.

What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
18-10-2013, 01:47 AM
RE: Historically the craziest cult on Earth.
(18-10-2013 01:08 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  What do you think?

The infants and children were murdered but the adults committed suicide. They knew that by drinking the Kool-Aid they would die. It was supposed to be a political act, a "revolutionary suicide". Many of those that committed suicide left notes and wills so there is clear evidence of planning and deliberation.

If you are going to resort to a deterministic argument that Jim Jones "brainwashed" them and they bear no responsibility then Jim Jones too can't be held responsible because he too was deterministically caused to do what he did. There's no free lunch.

Jonestown was the single largest murder/suicide in US history but I don't know if that necessarily qualifies them as the "craziest cult on Earth". What about the Lords's Resistance Army, they are cannibalistic? LRA haven't killed themselves (unfortunately) but they have been killing, raping, torturing and mutilating for more tha twenty years. From what I have read of them they are thoroughly insane.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
18-10-2013, 02:01 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2013 02:08 AM by LadyJane.)
Yes, a crazy delusional man with a childhood history of trauma lead people there, and I agree he, in his own right, is a victim also. But my point is IF we work towards a 'woo' free world, the chances of this would lessen. How could 900+ people be as psychotic as Jim? Also I did add the word murdered. The 'trap' was evident at the end. They are not (psychotic). They are brainwashed, whether consciously or unconsciously by their leader. As political as it is, it is very religious based. The utopia, heaven and freedom they only dreamed of existed as an attainable place in their minds.

Sure, my title is extreme, forgive me. It is more of an emotional assortment than a truth. It is still a memorable and distinct historical occurrence. This isn't the first time I heard about it, every one (pretty well) knows about it, but this documentary is really stunning on the all encompassing nature of how a cult forms, functions and results.

I could go on with your list, include hale-bop and many others. Thank you for the additions.
18-10-2013, 09:13 AM
I don't know about them being the craziest in history.

Russia's Skoptsy is a good contender. They were known for practicing castration of men and the mastectomy of women in order to supress their sexual lust. They believed that when Adam and Eve ate the fruit, they gained their sexual organs. So by castrating themselves they can become perfect again. By doing that they maintained what's said in Matthew 19:12 and 18:8-9.
18-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Jonestown was an absolute mess. It was not a mass suicide to their fanatical leader, it was either drink the poison or a shot to the head. The only choice was how to die. The most dangerous thing about cults is that on the surface its very peaceful and loving and the fact that some people think they can never fall victim to a cult are flat out wrong. These people didn't realise they were in a death cult before it was too late. Its a morbid lesson to everyone that you must be on your guard, be skeptical and never devote yourself blindly.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
18-10-2013, 09:39 AM
I had watched that previously. In thinking about Jonestown as well as other like the Heaven's Gate thing and many others I have one big question...What is so lacking in a person's life/mind that they buy into these groups? I don't understand that part of it. How do you leave your whole life behind and follow someone right up till to the point of killing yourself at their say-so. I just can't wrap my head around that aspect of it.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
18-10-2013, 09:42 AM
That's because you are not crazy.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
18-10-2013, 09:49 AM
(18-10-2013 09:42 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  That's because you are not crazy.

There are those that would argue that. Tongue

Seriously though, I can look at certain things and see how someone could get there mentally even though I wouldn't. But I really can't grasp this stuff. For the most part these aren't people that are raised in a certain belief system. As adults (usually) they seem to set aside all reason and just jump right in.

I watch things like this or read about them and just have a puzzled look on my face. I don't get it.

18-10-2013, 09:53 AM
(18-10-2013 01:08 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  The Kool-aid cult from Jonestown, historically the largest mass suicide (in actuality-MURDER) cult ever known.

It's crazy to think of and easy to dismiss as silly or tragic, but the reality is earth-shattering and truly terrifying. I watched this a couple of days ago while working and had to rewind and give my full attention because it is truly mystifying and unbelievable. This makes me more than ever want to demystify and smoosh every last fibre of woo out there. Those poor people, those babies. What's harder to swallow is that I could easily see myself in this situation had I been dealt a different life in the time and place of these people.

Riveting, if you ask me.

What do you think?
It's scary the levels that indoctrination combined with vulnerability can reach. And I agree that it's a great reason to be fighting the good fight.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
18-10-2013, 09:55 AM
(18-10-2013 09:53 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 01:08 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  The Kool-aid cult from Jonestown, historically the largest mass suicide (in actuality-MURDER) cult ever known.

Riveting, if you ask me.

What do you think?
It's scary the levels that indoctrination combined with vulnerability can reach. And I agree that it's a great reason to be fighting the good fight.

Vulnerable...I think that's part of the answer to my question, I just can't imagine being THAT vulnerable. I suppose that's a good thing that I have never felt that low.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post