Historically the craziest cult on Earth.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2013, 10:04 AM
RE: Historically the craziest cult on Earth.
(18-10-2013 09:55 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 09:53 AM)Impulse Wrote:  It's scary the levels that indoctrination combined with vulnerability can reach. And I agree that it's a great reason to be fighting the good fight.

Vulnerable...I think that's part of the answer to my question, I just can't imagine being THAT vulnerable. I suppose that's a good thing that I have never felt that low.
I agree that it's hard to imagine. I think, in some cases, people have a really bad life to begin with - maybe bad enough to contemplate suicide even without the indoctrination part. And they so want things to be better, they'll believe whatever they are promised. In other cases, people may have very weak personalities. They have such low self-esteem that they don't trust their own opinions about much of anything. They look to others to have all the answers and, when someone says suicide will be a good thing, they find it more believable than anything they come up with from inside themselves. It's still hard to fathom for the rest of us though.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-10-2013, 11:47 AM
The more and more I think of it Scientology is the craziest cult in the universe. It might not be a death cult, yet. But they should be being watched at all times.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
18-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Re: Historically the craziest cult on Earth.
I think those Japanese happy sunshine people were crazier.

They went around with mad smiley Happiness but were full of chaos and drugged members.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-10-2013, 03:56 PM
(18-10-2013 01:47 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Jonestown was the single largest murder/suicide in US history

Happened in Guyana. just sayin'. Tongue

(18-10-2013 01:47 AM)Chippy Wrote:  but I don't know if that necessarily qualifies them as the "craziest cult on Earth".

I nominate these fucks: Heaven's Gate. They offed themselves to hitch a ride on the mothership following the Hale-Bopp comet. That's some seriously fucked up Gwynnies right there. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.