History repeats itself.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2017, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 09:17 AM by Szuchow.)
RE: History repeats itself.
(01-04-2017 07:58 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 07:51 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Why should I make this distinction when Soviet ideology is described as marxism-leninism?

Because it wasn't. Marx and Engels developed their model to counter the excesses of the Industrial revolution. That's got nothing to do with what the soviet empire turned into other than being called that way.

Sure it wasn't. You're right and people like Rudolf Pichoja, Rafał Imos, Leszek Kołakowski or Martin Malia who are using this term are wrong.

Also according to Andrzej Walicki From the Communist Project to the Neoliberal Utopia it's Engels thought which laid groundwork for Lenin idea that: society will be one office and one factory with same work and same pay. [Walicki, From the Communist Project, p. 17 of Polish 2013 edition].

(01-04-2017 07:36 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yup -- The October Revolution was not so much a revolution as it was political machination in order to seize power over the coalition that overthrew the tsar.

I think the real Bolshevik revolution in the early days of the USSR happened with the installation of terror as a tool of governance. For all the evils of the Okhrana, they look to this American like schoolchildren next to the NKVD (populated as it was by many Tsarist police, they clearly had a leadership more willing to let out some blood.)

Martin Malia in his History's Locomotives: Revolutions and the Making of the Modern World write about year 1905 as being first phase of revolution that last till '30 and purges. It's interesting perspective.

I would call time from hijacking the power to NEP revolution, when Bolsheviks thought that their utopia is achievable nearly immediately. NEP changed things and while there was no lack of fervor later I would call it fervor in name of state not one in name of revolution.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2017, 05:07 PM
(31-03-2017 05:57 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I think you mean "Tsar"?

Or Czar or Tzar.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
07-04-2017, 06:31 PM
(31-03-2017 07:59 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Hey, goodwithwood- are you a native speaker of English? Seems like maybe not. Admission will help a lot with those of us who are trying to understand what you are putting up here.

Is my english and grammer all you got?
07-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Seems I need to study up on Russian history.
10-04-2017, 03:46 PM
(07-04-2017 06:34 PM)GoodwithWood Wrote:  Seems I need to study up on Russian history.
Seems that way. Orlando Figes book "A People's Tragedy" is accessible and not bad for starter. There's also Pipes, Applebaum, Khlevniuk or Solzhenitsyn if one want memoirs.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-04-2017, 04:05 PM
(31-03-2017 05:57 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I think you mean "Tsar"?

German is Zar, and I bet a bunch of other languages too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man