History - what interests you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2013, 11:16 PM
RE: History - what interests you?
(05-05-2013 12:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 10:32 PM)BrianD Wrote:  My field of interest is alternate history: what if the Nazis "won" WWII, Britain won the Revolutionary War, the South won the Civil War, etc. You may be familar with the genre, and with some of the tropes (such as the ones I just referenced).

I like timelines with a point of divergence (POD) occurring within the past few hundred years, and especially those where the POD is close enough that it can shed some light on the current day. Fatherland and The Man in the High Castle are two well-known novels in the genre; Harry Turtledove is perhaps the most well-known living alt-history author.

There's a variation on alternate history that I also prefer: ASB histories, ASB standing for Alien Space Bat, where the Point of Divergence is something fantastic than cannot happen in real life. Think Harry Turtledove's series in which aliens invade Earth during WWII. But it's not pure alternate history, just a fun variation.

Here's one for you.
What if King Louis XVI fed the people of France?

... or if Emperor Constantine had picked a different religion. Consider

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-05-2013, 11:24 PM
(10-05-2013 11:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 12:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Here's one for you.

All that would have changed would be the name. Everything in Christianity is taken from other religions anyway. There is not 1 unique or original idea in that mongrel faith.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-05-2013, 11:26 PM
My fascination with history begins with the Median empire. It seems like the point where civilizations really come into being as more than mere regional entities. It's when, instead of mostly isolated kingdoms rising and falling in Egypt, China, India, and Mesopotamia, countries begin to interact in big ways with trade and politics. Instead of Egyptians fighting Hittites, you had people from as far as Afghanistan fighting Greeks, and traders from China bringing wares to Persia, where they would end up in the Mediterranean. History gets a lot more interesting with the Median empire.

Then everything up until the First World War. It is the stark difference between technology, weapons, and international politics that fascinates me with history before WWI... the same reason I love sci-fi and fantasy. It is so different from anything I know.

And of course, speculations on alternate history are fun, and learning about history gives me ideas for my own creations (such as the fantasy world I'm working on).

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
11-05-2013, 01:38 AM
My interest with history starts with the Trilobites.
The trilobites were among the most successful of all early animals, roaming the oceans for over 270 million years, a good crack of the wip in evolution to say the least..
I also have a keen interest in the world wars, love to watch old footage of campaigns etc.
[+] 1 user Likes Raiz's post
11-05-2013, 09:07 AM
(11-05-2013 01:38 AM)Raiz Wrote:  My interest with history starts with the Trilobites.
The trilobites were among the most successful of all early animals, roaming the oceans for over 270 million years, a good crack of the wip in evolution to say the least..
I also have a keen interest in the world wars, love to watch old footage of campaigns etc.

Well if it's WW1 you're looking at it goes back quite a ways 1890's and earlier in the set up. WW2 was really just a continuation of WW1 after a 20 year armistice.

11-05-2013, 10:06 AM
(11-05-2013 01:38 AM)Raiz Wrote:  My interest with history starts with the Trilobites.

What if Cyanobacteria hadn't oxygenated the Earth's atmosphere so that oxygen breathers could exist now? Bad for us, I suspect! Sad
What lifeforms, that might benefit from an atmosphere humans can't breath in, might not ever come into being, if we stop "dirtying" up the air with our CO2 emissions? Bad for them, I guess! Big Grin

WW2? I would would cut off one of my own toes (preferably the middle one), to be able to ride a King Tiger back and forth to work Tongue The only one in the world that still works is in Saumur, France at the (I think this is the name) Musee des Blindes:
BowingEvil_monster KING TIGER Evil_monsterBowing

11-05-2013, 10:38 AM
(10-05-2013 11:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 12:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Here's one for you.

Meh.
While religion certainly has had a massive impact on world history, IMO politics play a bigger role.

I think, as has been said, it wouldn't matter what religion the end result would have been the same. Especially considering of all his choices they would have all just been different version of Christianity.

But politics can have a dramatic effect on an area or people.
ie: Louis XVI was a cunt. The people didn't like him which eventually led to the French Revolution.
The French Revolution was a HUGE symbol. The people just overthrew (and eventually killed) a man that was believed to have been chosen by god.

Why do you think the rest of Europe so violently opposed Napoleon? The monarchies of the major powers, Prussia, Austria, Great Britain, Russia just witnessed in this country (France) the topple of their monarchy, and now this tiny little man (Napoleon was rather short) was invading their countries to do the exact same to them. They violently opposed Napoleon because he was a direct threat to their political power of their respective countries.
You've herd the term "boggy man"? This was created by the British, it referred to Napoleon who at the time couldn't cross the channel. So when parents say "the boggy man will get you", what they meant was Napoleon would come across the channel.
Though Napoleon was not this evil monster that he was made out to be. He was only made out to be that way by the ruling class because he was a direct threat to their power. Napoleon was not this great evil conqueror, he was liberator. He was part of the French Revolution and truly believed in it's course and truly believed that all the people of Europe should rid their countries of their monarchy as he believed all man to be equal. Except himself of course.
One of his greatest blunders was believing that the people believed this too.
When he invaded Spain he truly believed the people would rise up and over throw their monarch. He was wrong however and it turned into an extremely bloody campaign.
It's a pity really, in a sort of weird way, that Napoleon didn't succeed. I mean there is now ay he could have conquered Europe under France, he would have had to release those countries in due time before they revolted against him. BUT he very well may have succeed in ridding Europe of the Aristocrats and creating a more equal society.

Nelson saved all of the European ruling families' asses. They ow that one legged, one eyed dude a lot.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
11-05-2013, 10:49 AM
(11-05-2013 10:38 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 11:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ... or if Emperor Constantine had picked a different religion. Consider

Meh.
While religion certainly has had a massive impact on world history, IMO politics play a bigger role.

I think, as has been said, it wouldn't matter what religion the end result would have been the same. Especially considering of all his choices they would have all just been different version of Christianity.

But politics can have a dramatic effect on an area or people.
ie: Louis XVI was a cunt. The people didn't like him which eventually led to the French Revolution.
The French Revolution was a HUGE symbol. The people just overthrew (and eventually killed) a man that was believed to have been chosen by god.

Why do you think the rest of Europe so violently opposed Napoleon? The monarchies of the major powers, Prussia, Austria, Great Britain, Russia just witnessed in this country (France) the topple of their monarchy, and now this tiny little man (Napoleon was rather short) was invading their countries to do the exact same to them. They violently opposed Napoleon because he was a direct threat to their political power of their respective countries.
You've herd the term "boggy man"? This was created by the British, it referred to Napoleon who at the time couldn't cross the channel. So when parents say "the boggy man will get you", what they meant was Napoleon would come across the channel.
Though Napoleon was not this evil monster that he was made out to be. He was only made out to be that way by the ruling class because he was a direct threat to their power. Napoleon was not this great evil conqueror, he was liberator. He was part of the French Revolution and truly believed in it's course and truly believed that all the people of Europe should rid their countries of their monarchy as he believed all man to be equal. Except himself of course.
One of his greatest blunders was believing that the people believed this too.
When he invaded Spain he truly believed the people would rise up and over throw their monarch. He was wrong however and it turned into an extremely bloody campaign.
It's a pity really, in a sort of weird way, that Napoleon didn't succeed. I mean there is now ay he could have conquered Europe under France, he would have had to release those countries in due time before they revolted against him. BUT he very well may have succeed in ridding Europe of the Aristocrats and creating a more equal society.

Nelson saved all of the European ruling families' asses. They ow that one legged, one eyed dude a lot.

Here's an idea why don't we all start a thread about whatever most interests us and then maybe the mods will grant us a subforum or something.

11-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Post-industrial American history, civil rights, politics, etc...

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
11-05-2013, 08:22 PM
I pretty much love all history. But the last few years I've been getting very interested in the local history of this part of Pennsylvania. This will be my third year doing volunteer work with the State Museum and with local historians on archeological digs in the area. It's been very interesting and I've learned a lot and made some very good friends.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]