History - what interests you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2013, 01:51 PM
RE: History - what interests you?
(11-05-2013 01:38 AM)Raiz Wrote:  My interest with history starts with the Trilobites.
The trilobites were among the most successful of all early animals, roaming the oceans for over 270 million years, a good crack of the wip in evolution to say the least.

Now they are roaming the streets.

[Image: dinosaurs-attack15.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
12-05-2013, 05:44 PM
History - what interests you?
Modern history along with its flawed notion of linear history in a causal way. Modern historians unlike past historians, frame history in a causal linear manner. We see our society as an extension of x culture and society. The Greeks for example didnt have this view of the past and neither did the Romans.

Example: democracy which has never produced freedom and was a total failure in Greece is seen as a precursor to modern freedoms and modern political structure, even though Greek society is more akin to modern Saudi Arabia in terms of freedom, Ancient Greece was the first known culture to for e women to cover their face in public.

Modern history isn't about history as much as it is reshaping the past to concur with modern political ideas.

Let that rattle around in your dome piece.
Find all posts by this user
13-05-2013, 04:24 AM
I like pretty much everything, but I hate writing it, only talking about it. Bummer.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
13-05-2013, 11:58 PM
(19-06-2011 06:17 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Modern warfare is far more adept at destroying the terrain along with the enemy. Innovation can be cool, but modern warfare took men killing each other beyond that scope into men destroying land in order to kill each other.

Tell that to the Carthaginians.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
17-06-2013, 01:13 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2013 01:20 AM by parleramonpere.)
Well, i'm interested on history, especially on ancient civilizations.

But i've never liked my history teachers. I think they're all fanatic nationalist, so their arguements about formal history are irritating me. And when i demur it, they acting like that i was a traitor. Well, i'm not a traitor. But i think, their root cause to accuse me, aren't just my thoughts. They're acting like that since they had learned my ethnic descent. So i'm ascertaining about our passing history too.

Sorry for bad English or mistakes. English isn't my motherlanguage. Sadcryface
19-06-2013, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2013 03:51 PM by kim.)
Historical iconography. I've always found symbolism both visual and literary, to be fascinating.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
19-06-2013, 01:16 PM
When I return from my junket to Cali I'm going to be delving deeper into WW2 -- I've learned some interesting things about why my grandpa's regiment was sent to Normandy the day after D-day. Something to do with an event that occurred while they were training in England.

I guess it was so bad they decided his regiment needed or deserved an extra day -- at least from the accounts I've read.

Seems rather extraordinary when I think about it, since the push was so extensive.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

19-06-2013, 01:18 PM
I like in depth combat tactics and logistics and peoples movements/uncovering ulterior histories.

Ps. I hate the ****ing pilgrims. I still don't understand why I had to learn about them 6 separate times in school but never got past 1945 in 12 years of classes.

19-06-2013, 01:20 PM
(19-06-2013 01:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  When I return from my junket to Cali I'm going to be delving deeper into WW2 -- I've learned some interesting things about why my grandpa's regiment was sent to Normandy the day after D-day. Something to do with an event that occurred while they were training in England.

I guess it was so bad they decided his regiment needed or deserved an extra day -- at least from the accounts I've read.

Seems rather extraordinary when I think about it, since the push was so extensive.

I'd love to know why MomSBB.

My father-in-law was a merchant mariner and his ship was to participate in the invasion but they had a minimum speed requirement and his transport ship didn't meet it. When he was alive he told me horrific stories of crossing the North Atlantic and U-Boat wolf patrols sinking ships in his convoy. Shivers

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
19-06-2013, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2013 01:08 AM by kim.)
(19-06-2013 01:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I guess it was so bad they decided his regiment needed or deserved an extra day -- at least from the accounts I've read.

He might be lucky he was in the second wave - June 6th was harsh. More than 9,000 Allied Soldiers were killed or wounded on the 5 beaches on that one day - about 6000 were American - but, at least the Allies got a foothold.

It got worse starting the next day - they had to get through the hedgerows. It was fucking grueling from June 6th to October 23 when France was Declared officially liberated. Technically, the "invasion" took 4 months and then, they still had to "make war".

I am also fascinated with WWII. It isn't often that "war" as a resolve, is a such desperate necessity and an inevitability.
Sometime, when I read about history, I find myself shaking my head and saying, Humans. What the fuck?
My Uncle Jim was third wave at Omaha Beach - he drove an ammo truck most of the way through France. If anything happened to any other truck in front or behind him, he was told to light the fuse -he was sitting on a box of dynamite. Couldn't take a chance on losing even a single truckload of ammo.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.