History.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2017, 02:59 PM
RE: History.
(11-02-2017 02:52 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 02:48 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Thing is the human behavior is changing - violence is decreasing. Even browsing through Pinker The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined will show that. Sure, not everything changed but I'm not sure about this all unchanging human nature.

It's got nothinh to do with violence. Human nature hasn't changed that much in the last 2000+ years, and that's only recorded history. The one where we have access to daily concerns. These, if you are to argue for a never changing human nature, are much more interesting than grand history with battles, nation building or prominent figures.

The letters of Vindolandum show that Romans in a remote british border garrison had the exact same concerns as we have today. The items they ask for may have changed, their feelings haven't.

Decrease of violence has nothing to do with changes in human nature? Color me unconvinced. Now I'm not saying that state monopolizing violence has nothing to do with said decrease, maybe even more than alleged change.

I don't argue for never changing nature.

Also same concerns? So they were worried about their atheism? Their job being taken by automatization? Being "in closet"?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2017, 03:01 PM
History seems similar because people are similar.

https://youtu.be/syl67FzppS0

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
11-02-2017, 03:02 PM
(11-02-2017 02:59 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Decrease of violence has nothing to do with changes in human nature?

Read the letters of Vindolandum. Compare them against the violent nature of their time and compare them to our own way of life and feelings.

You may actually be convinced that violent history's got nothing to do with human nature which hasn't changed that much.

(11-02-2017 03:01 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  History seems similar because people are similar.

https://youtu.be/syl67FzppS0

Which is the whole point, far as I understand it.
11-02-2017, 03:03 PM
(11-02-2017 02:59 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Decrease of violence has nothing to do with changes in human nature? Color me unconvinced. Now I'm not saying that state monopolizing violence has nothing to do with said decrease, maybe even more than alleged change.

I don't argue for never changing nature.

Also same concerns? So they were worried about their atheism? Their job being taken by automatization? Being "in closet"?

Perhaps read the letters. If you can't find those, letters by people such as Cicero, Pliny, Seneca etc still exist.

If we do stay within the 20th century, we can find many horrid leaders. Pol Pot, Mussolini, Idi Amin......

The end is listless.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-02-2017, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 03:34 PM by Szuchow.)
(11-02-2017 03:02 PM)abaris Wrote:  Read the letters of Vindolandum. Compare them against the violent nature of their time and compare them to our own way of life and feelings.

You may actually be convinced that violent history's got nothing to do with human nature which hasn't changed that much.

I see no reason for reading them as I have lectures more suited to my interests. It's not like one set of letters would be proof of nearly unchangeable human nature. ETA: It's claim that demand more evidence I would say.

I would also add that from my pov decrease of violence signal change in so called human nature. EDIT 2: There is also issue of what exactly constitutes changing of human nature. I would say that widening the circle of empathy was one of such changes.

(11-02-2017 03:03 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Perhaps read the letters. If you can't find those, letters by people such as Cicero, Pliny, Seneca etc still exist.

There was mention of some Cicero letters in Mary Beard SPQR. I would hardly call being concerned with slaves as something that did not changed.

I see no problem in admitting that ancients had similar troubles and woes. Exactly the same? I very much doubt it.

Quote:If we do stay within the 20th century, we can find many horrid leaders. Pol Pot, Mussolini, Idi Amin......

The end is listless.

And what is your point?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-02-2017, 03:15 PM
(11-02-2017 03:14 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 03:02 PM)abaris Wrote:  Read the letters of Vindolandum. Compare them against the violent nature of their time and compare them to our own way of life and feelings.

I see no reason for reading them as I have lectures more suited to my interests. It's not like one set of letters would be proof of nearly unchangeable human nature.

(11-02-2017 03:03 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Perhaps read the letters. If you can't find those, letters by people such as Cicero, Pliny, Seneca etc still exist.

There was mention of some Cicero letters in Mary Beard SPQR. I would hardly call being concerned with slaves as something that did not changed.

I see no problem in admitting that ancients had similar troubles and woes. Exactly the same? I very much doubt it.

Quote:If we do stay within the 20th century, we can find many horrid leaders. Pol Pot, Mussolini, Idi Amin......

The end is listless.

And what is your point?

Celestial Wonder? Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
11-02-2017, 03:18 PM
(11-02-2017 03:15 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 03:14 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I see no reason for reading them as I have lectures more suited to my interests. It's not like one set of letters would be proof of nearly unchangeable human nature.

And what is your point?

Celestial Wonder? Wink

It's a joke (?) in poor taste. Not agreeing with you doesn't make one a troll and ignoramus - you aren't history pope infallible when writing on the forum.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Mate, lighten up. Life's too short.

Banjo.
11-02-2017, 03:29 PM
(11-02-2017 03:26 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Mate, lighten up. Life's too short.

I have no particular reasons for lightening up. Also life is the longest thing you do.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-02-2017, 03:35 PM
I've totally lost interest in my own thread. Big Grin

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post