Hitchens' alleged kinda deathbed conversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2016, 06:26 AM
Hitchens' alleged kinda deathbed conversion
There is a new book by a theist claiming that Christopher Hitchens almost converted to Christianity as the end of his life approached. But as this extensive article in The Atlantic, Betraying the Faith of Christopher Hitchens, makes clear, the author, Larry Taunton, is full of shit.

As this piece makes abundantly clear, Taunton is using the fact that his subject is no longer able to offer a rebuttal to advance thinly supported - or frankly, unsupported - theories that soothe his own fears.

But stripped of all the nonsense, Taunton's childish hope-by-proxy boils down to a sticky lump of Pascal's nonsense. Essentially, he has written a whole book that does little more than illuminate the fact that his religion is based on unwarranted fears of death and unsurprising wishful thinking about eternal life.

I have no doubt that Hitchens pondered the comfy dream of eternal life from his distressing position at the end of his time on earth, but to amp that up into an "almost conversion" — and remember, in Christianity, unlike horseshoes, close ain't worth a damn! — is self-serving and despicable.

As is always the case with such arguments — at least, based on my reading of this detailed piece, though not the book itself — Taunton offers no actual evidence. Just speculation and argument. And remember, even had Hitchens fully, publicly converted prior to his death, that act would offer no evidence whatsoever that the claims of Christians are true.

Good for Hitchens for calling this out before his death. And for being the kind of decent person who does not exile those with whom he disagrees from his life, unlike many of Taunton's fellow superstitious travelers.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
10-06-2016, 06:39 AM
RE: Hitchens' alleged kinda deathbed conversion
(10-06-2016 06:26 AM)claywise Wrote:  There is a new book by a theist claiming that Christopher Hitchens almost converted to Christianity as the end of his life approached. But as this extensive article in The Atlantic, Betraying the Faith of Christopher Hitchens, makes clear, the author, Larry Taunton, is full of shit.

As this piece makes abundantly clear, Taunton is using the fact that his subject is no longer able to offer a rebuttal to advance thinly supported - or frankly, unsupported - theories that soothe his own fears.

But stripped of all the nonsense, Taunton's childish hope-by-proxy boils down to a sticky lump of Pascal's nonsense. Essentially, he has written a whole book that does little more than illuminate the fact that his religion is based on unwarranted fears of death and unsurprising wishful thinking about eternal life.

I have no doubt that Hitchens pondered the comfy dream of eternal life from his distressing position at the end of his time on earth, but to amp that up into an "almost conversion" — and remember, in Christianity, unlike horseshoes, close ain't worth a damn! — is self-serving and despicable.

As is always the case with such arguments — at least, based on my reading of this detailed piece, though not the book itself — Taunton offers no actual evidence. Just speculation and argument. And remember, even had Hitchens fully, publicly converted prior to his death, that act would offer no evidence whatsoever that the claims of Christians are true.

Good for Hitchens for calling this out before his death. And for being the kind of decent person who does not exile those with whom he disagrees from his life, unlike many of Taunton's fellow superstitious travelers.

What I hate about the religious is that they are so sickening. Jesus loves you...yes, like a disease.
10-06-2016, 06:52 AM
"Why do you hate the Easter Bunny"? -- is just as valid as the xtian battle cry of "Why do you hate God???"

stupid numbnuts.......

egotistical, self serving, power seeking shitheads who think that they're going to pal around with the creator of the known universe, forever.........

Yeah, sure..... Why wouldn't a supreme being want people like that to hang around with?????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
10-06-2016, 07:01 AM
Personally, I love Christmas, apart from its traditional Christian meaning. Christianity is a death cult. It's death to any kind of hope.
10-06-2016, 07:17 AM
"Happiness is a form of contemplation." Aristotle

Happiness is a form of laziness. Camus said to us to imagine Sisyphus happy. I cannot imagine anything worse. Without wit or unreasonableness, we are hopeless.