02-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Hitchens dismantles a religious talk show host
good stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqr_dVQttcs
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2011, 07:04 AM

RE: Hitchens dismantles a religious talk show host
Wow he was pissed!

Hitchens is a genius, I love hearing him speak and I hope he gets better soon.
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2011 03:48 PM by Ghost.)
Ok.

Hitchens has his benefits, but holy Christ he can be a penis.

Just two things.

First the army thing. Christopher Hitchens went from a man who was against just about evey form of war on the planet, to a flag waving hawk. Granted, the US didn't go into Iraq to enslave people like they enslaved blacks, but fuck right off with this 'it's an afront to the brave men who take casualties to even suggest they do bad things' crap. We're all adults here. We know that in war people are raped and butchered and while the Iraqis might not have been made endentured servants, they have no national sovereignty to speak of and are a puppet state of the American hegemony. So while the host's comparison was probably a stretch, Hitchen's revision of the facts (I mean for Christ's sake, just look at the Wikileaks footage of the Apache tearing people apart with a .50 cal machine gun that's designed to blow truck engine blocks apart) is just perverted.

Second, I can't see how anyone in their right mind can listen to his vitriol about how he wants to destroy Theists and say he's a great guy. Come on. That's just disgusting. That host was so diplomatic and so trying to bring things back to a place of peace and Hitchens just steam rolled over him (which he does in every single one of his interviews and panel apearances) and treated him with utter disdain. You don't speak to other human beings like that. Hitchens utterly robbed that man of his humanity. When I look at anyone who is espousing a belief, I ask a simple question. What would happen if they had an army? If Hitchen's had one, millions would die. I can't fathom how he is viewed as a leader and a man of reason. A man of skilled rhetoric, sure. But the man is a mass murderer in waiting.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 03:40 PM
(05-02-2011 03:26 PM)Ghost Wrote:  First the army thing. Christopher Hitchens went from a man who was against just about evey form of war on the planet, to a flag waving hawk. Granted, the US didn't go into Iraq to enslave people like they enslaved blacks, but fuck right off with this 'it's an afront to the brave men who take casualties to even suggest they do bad things' crap. We're all adults here. We know that in war people are raped and butchered and while the Iraqis might not have been made endentured servants, they have no national sovereignty to speak of and are a puppet state of the American hegemony. So while the host's comparison was probably a stretch, Hitchen's revision of the facts (I mean for Christ's sake, just look at the Wikileaks footage of the Apache tearing people apart with a .50 cal machine gun that's designed to blow truck engine blocks apart) is just perverted.
People who tell me the US military is the greatest thing since sliced bread usually get directed here:
http://www.bradleymanning.org/
And I'm tired of hearing how "Our boys are fighting to protect our freedom." The last time a foreign country threatened our freedom, it was Britain invading and they called it the war of 1812. When I think of threats to my freedom I think Patriot Act and GOP.
But that being said, I do have great respect for most of the troops. I think I can respect their service without supporting the holy war they are sent on. In fact, several of my friends are in the service, and many of them either were or still are overseas. I just hope they come home safe.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
06-02-2011, 11:20 PM
(05-02-2011 03:40 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  The last time a foreign country threatened our freedom, it was Britain invading and they called it the war of 1812.

No. That was the American Revolution. England didn't invade, the Americans revolted and ended British ruling of what is now The United States.

The War of 1812 was an American invasion of what is now Canada.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.