Hiya

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2010, 11:14 PM

Hiya
My name is Chris and I'm an atheist!

Heh, beyond that, I'm living down in the Bible Belt AKA Columbus, GA. Been down here for about 9 months. It's still mind boggling how much more religious this place is compared to a few hours north where I used to live (Around Gainesville/Cumming, GA for those who know the places). The only atheists I actually know down here are a couple people I work with and my Columbus Skeptics meetup group which meets up once a month at best.

I was kinda "dabbling" in atheism for the last couple years, but I haven't really "took it seriously" so to speak since I moved down here. Until I moved down here I didn't really personally deal with many people who were the kind of religious that got on my nerves.

It feels like I'm getting a little antagonistic about the whole thing.. although it feels more that I'm getting more visibly annoyed by people who don't have a "real" reason for their world view. e.g. I got into a "heated" discussion earlier today w/ a coworker who gawked at me for "believing in evolution" because she couldn't believe we "came from monkeys.." even if we are primates/animals. Yet she also believed the earth was more than 6,000 years old.. and made it quite obvious that she really hasn't thought about it much. Maybe I expected too much of her. ;/

So hi. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2010, 01:40 AM
RE: Hiya
Are you in a position to move back to the more sane place?

Did you tell that lady that we didn't come from monkeys, we came from the same ancestor that that monkeys came from?

If religious people thought about their religions clearly there would be no religious people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Welcome Chris! I hope you enjoy yourself here! Big Grin

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2010, 08:56 PM

Welcome!
Quote this message in a reply