Hobbies I Just Don't Get

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 07:16 AM
Hobbies I Just Don't Get
Knife collectors ----

I'm not talking about guys who like functional tools. I'm talking about the "fantasy" types...........

If you go to most Gun and Knife swap meets -- you'll find a couple of "knife collector" vendors --- hawking some of the cheesiest, gaudy shit that China, Pakistan and other third world countries can knock together out of a chunk of low-grade stainless steel (or chrome plated cold-rolled).

I'm talking about these multi-bladed things that appear to have been props in a cheap sci-fi movie. Big, hooked blades, stuff that's probably just as likely to impale the user as anything else.

And swords --- big monstrosities that require a forklift to move around. Stuff that would be so impractical - that Conan the Barbarian would say "Compensating for something, dude???"

What's really amazing -- the prices ---- they price this shit quite high. I suppose the reasoning is -- if they priced it for what it's really worth (next to nothing) nobody would think it's "collectable".

I met a guy a while back -- who wanted to show me his vast collection of "collectables".......

What a piece of work --- hundreds of cheap, gaudy, poorly made pieces of imported crap -- cluttering up his parent's basement.....

I don't answer his phone calls.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-11-2016, 07:36 AM
RE: Hobbies I Just Don't Get
(29-11-2016 07:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Knife collectors ----

I'm not talking about guys who like functional tools. I'm talking about the "fantasy" types...........

If you go to most Gun and Knife swap meets -- you'll find a couple of "knife collector" vendors --- hawking some of the cheesiest, gaudy shit that China, Pakistan and other third world countries can knock together out of a chunk of low-grade stainless steel (or chrome plated cold-rolled).

I'm talking about these multi-bladed things that appear to have been props in a cheap sci-fi movie. Big, hooked blades, stuff that's probably just as likely to impale the user as anything else.

And swords --- big monstrosities that require a forklift to move around. Stuff that would be so impractical - that Conan the Barbarian would say "Compensating for something, dude???"

What's really amazing -- the prices ---- they price this shit quite high. I suppose the reasoning is -- if they priced it for what it's really worth (next to nothing) nobody would think it's "collectable".

I met a guy a while back -- who wanted to show me his vast collection of "collectables".......

What a piece of work --- hundreds of cheap, gaudy, poorly made pieces of imported crap -- cluttering up his parent's basement.....

I don't answer his phone calls.......

People actually collect that shit. Huh

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
29-11-2016, 07:57 AM
So, you're saying something like this would be a waste of money...

[Image: GHAlien20009_zpswg2ckbma.jpg]

For the record, this is about as fancy as I care for, and I wouldn't actually buy one.
[Image: 4677e1a5f1d0b034920f01f58912acb6_zpsm0ytvhsk.jpg]

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
29-11-2016, 08:18 AM
I don't understand gun collections, but I can totally relate to shoe collections. Tongue
[+] 8 users Like Aliza's post
29-11-2016, 08:19 AM
Soul collecting.

#sigh
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Golf.
Tried it, even took lessons, still think it's stupid.

(See, I don't like knitting or quilting, but I can understand how some people might like these hobbies. Can't say the same for golf.)

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 4 users Like Reducetarian's post
29-11-2016, 08:52 AM
I don't get people hanging up heads of dead animals. Glass eyes staring into space - just creepy and disgusting.

People collect all kinds of stuff. It's usually not as much about the stuff itself as about the collecting - an old instinct that is useless now. (except when you collect as investment.)

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
29-11-2016, 09:02 AM
I don't like any kind of collecting. I hate clutter Tongue
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
29-11-2016, 09:09 AM
(29-11-2016 07:57 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  So, you're saying something like this would be a waste of money...

For the record, this is about as fancy as I care for, and I wouldn't actually buy one.

The first isn't something you could use for combat- too heavy. The second looks pretty cool, a lot more so than my $9 Swiss Army knife.

I have dozens of sharp-edged chisels, knives and gouges that I use for wood carving. They are different shapes to facilitate the work. Some people at the carving class give me grief, but that's just jealousy, near as I can tell. I built a custom chest to store and transport them. I wouldn't call it a collection, though. Collections are for just looking at, yes?
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
29-11-2016, 09:13 AM
(29-11-2016 09:09 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 07:57 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  So, you're saying something like this would be a waste of money...

The first isn't something you could use for combat- too heavy. The second looks pretty cool, a lot more so than my $9 Swiss Army knife.

I have dozens of sharp-edged chisels, knives and gouges that I use for wood carving. They are different shapes to facilitate the work. Some people at the carving class give me grief, but that's just jealousy, near as I can tell. I built a custom chest to store and transport them. I wouldn't call it a collection, though. Collections are for just looking at, yes?

Collections are when you have varieties of something, and adding more gives you some kind of satisfaction. I think you do have a collection, albeit a useful one.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post