Hobbies I Just Don't Get

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 09:20 AM
RE: Hobbies I Just Don't Get
(29-11-2016 07:57 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  So, you're saying something like this would be a waste of money...

[Image: GHAlien20009_zpswg2ckbma.jpg]

Ah I see it comes with very a convenient handle on either side for the attacker to grab hold of and to swing the guy round and off-balance into a wall. Of course the guy won't be able to let go because his arm's strapped into it.

How are you supposed to even use that thing anyway?

You know what I'd use against that?

A chain.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
29-11-2016, 09:26 AM
I don't understand when people collect so much stuff that their house looks more like a yard sale than a home.

There was a lady who used to collect blue glass. She started with one vintage piece then junked it up with crap she found everywhere. She'd line it up across her mantel and custom shelves she had installed. I'm not kidding her house looked more like an kitschy crap shop than a home.

I once collected roosters, because (and I'm not kidding) it was funny to say I'm surrounded by cocks. But some family members...took it a little too seriously.

But I was more like, if I found something interesting. Or folk arty...great...but I wasn't looking for the shit all the time and no way was I going into debt. But the extended family really killed the fun -- I ended up with a set of bowls with roosters on them, kitchen towels, salt and pepper shakers...I liked roosters but I don't want every piece of crap out there just because it's shaped like a rooster or has a tooster on it. Dodgy

When we moved, I finally purged most of it from my life and was happy to do it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Long ago I started collecting old hand hammered copper pieces at flea markets. It was fun, the flea markets were fun to walk around in, and I brought home some 2 pieces a year. Then people noticed and gave me copper everything, just like your roosters. Smile

I also purged most stuff when moving, and kept just two pieces - a bowl that had to have taken a year to make, and a little wall picture of a boy with a dog that was hand hammered also - must have taken eternity to do and had superb detail.

Now I only have two copper items - a bird bath in use in the garden, and rain chains with little woven copper baskets. These are neat - they go up instead of down spouts, they hang from the gutters and the water splashes from basket to basket in the rain, ending up in a bowl that covers a drain. It looks nice, makes a wonderful splashing sound, and never needs to be replaced, unlike the ugly down spouts.

So much for my love story with copper. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-11-2016, 09:50 AM
The only thing I collect is dust.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
29-11-2016, 10:00 AM
There are many hobbies I don't get, but I always find it interesting to see what other people do get. For example when you find out a coworker is into trains or a celebrity collects antique firearms. When people talk about personal interests like hobbies and collections, it seems less like useless small talk and more like real interaction. If that makes any sense.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
29-11-2016, 10:08 AM
(29-11-2016 07:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Knife collectors ----

I'm not talking about guys who like functional tools. I'm talking about the "fantasy" types...........

If you go to most Gun and Knife swap meets -- you'll find a couple of "knife collector" vendors --- hawking some of the cheesiest, gaudy shit that China, Pakistan and other third world countries can knock together out of a chunk of low-grade stainless steel (or chrome plated cold-rolled).

I'm talking about these multi-bladed things that appear to have been props in a cheap sci-fi movie. Big, hooked blades, stuff that's probably just as likely to impale the user as anything else.

And swords --- big monstrosities that require a forklift to move around. Stuff that would be so impractical - that Conan the Barbarian would say "Compensating for something, dude???"

What's really amazing -- the prices ---- they price this shit quite high. I suppose the reasoning is -- if they priced it for what it's really worth (next to nothing) nobody would think it's "collectable".

I met a guy a while back -- who wanted to show me his vast collection of "collectables".......

What a piece of work --- hundreds of cheap, gaudy, poorly made pieces of imported crap -- cluttering up his parent's basement.....

I don't answer his phone calls.......

My husband has a lot of fancy swords. I don't think they're like the super-duper fancy ones you described but he uses them for theatre. He has about 15 different swords which he's used in Macbeth, Hamlet and Henry II and other Shakespearian plays. The edges are ground down so the actors don't kill each other on stage and he puts a clear plastic tip on the end. He does a lot of stage fight choreography. Ya gotta have swords that have weight to them on stage otherwise it looks and sounds really stupid.

We have 3 of them on the wall next to the fireplace and it's the first thing people look at when they come into our front room. The rest of them are stashed under our bed.

Oh, and the long sword he has was used in Henry V by a Scottish character in the play and was worn on his back as was the tradition. My husband played the part. The long sword is pretty similar to this one. It's really, really neat. It's one of the ones that's under our bed though. I'd like to put it on the wall but it's too big.

[Image: 8703af34a16a616e983bcccc42659952.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-11-2016, 10:08 AM
(29-11-2016 08:18 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't understand gun collections, but I can totally relate to shoe collections. Tongue

If you don't know guns - it wouldn't make much sense.

But - to a person who DOES know guns (I do) -- collecting guns makes financial sense.

I once told my SO (who also has a "Emelia Marcos" shoe collection) "Sure - I spend more money on guns than you do on shoes. Let's go sell our collections and see who makes a profit".......

Hint -- Used footwear doesn't bring top dollar - except for ruby slippers... (knowing somebody will go there..)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-11-2016, 10:14 AM
(29-11-2016 08:18 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't understand gun collections, but I can totally relate to shoe collections. Tongue

Well shoes are a given Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Nah, I don't really understand the fascination with shoes, or handbags for that matter. My husband has more pairs of shoes than I do!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes ukatheist's post
29-11-2016, 10:28 AM
(29-11-2016 10:14 AM)jennybee Wrote:  

Well shoes are a given Tongue

Not to me. I got a pair of sandals for summer and a pair of warm shoes for winter and a pair of rubber boots for stomping around in the mud. That's it. Oh, and a pair of winter slippers. Most years I replace the sandals and slippers, I replace the warm shoes every three years or so and I have had the rubber boots for longer than some of you have been alive. I buy quality so it lasts. I just don't see the fascination with shoes at all. They just have to fit right and be comfortable.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post