Hobbies I Just Don't Get

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 01:24 PM
RE: Hobbies I Just Don't Get
Former world chess champion Anatoly Karpov has been an avid stamp collector for years, specializing in Belgian stamps. I always thought of that as a weird and basically useless hobby, but he is now selling off part of his collection (if not all of it). It is said to be worth about $15 million. Nice investment there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2016, 01:35 PM
I don't collect anything but memories, really. If I had the money, I'd have fifteen or twenty guitars, more for utility's sake than simply show or gratification.

Oh, and wrinkles. I'm collecting them whether I want to or not.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
29-11-2016, 02:50 PM
(29-11-2016 11:49 AM)KUSA Wrote:  I collect foreskins.

Are you a rabbi by trade?

sorry Aliza, I couldn't help myself. Blush

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
29-11-2016, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2016 09:06 PM by TheGulegon.)
I collect bruises. Undecided

[Edit]
Cuts and scrapes, too! Dodgy

29-11-2016, 03:43 PM
(29-11-2016 08:19 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Soul collecting.

What have you got against James Brown?

Sam and Dave? Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
29-11-2016, 03:53 PM
I think hobbies and/or collecting stuff is a very personal issue. One man's meat etc.

I collect 35mm film cameras, and have done so ever since I got thoroughly bored with unimaginative and uncontrollable auto digital cameras—whose OoC images invariably require some sort of wanky software manipulation after the event.

I collect German and Russian cameras, and only Nikon cameras. I have no idea of their collective dollar value, but they're nice to have and to hold, and they all put the current crop of digital cameras in the shade as far as engineering and technical attributes go.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
29-11-2016, 03:58 PM
My mother was into stamp collecting. We all couldn't understand her fascination with stamp collecting at the time, but now that I think about it she loved to learn about other countries, small and large, from collecting each county's stamps. Stamps were a sort of gateway to learning about other places.

Lots of stamps have animals on them so she would collect those and then learn about the animals. There was some country that had a series of huge stamps with butterflies common to that country. The stamps were iridescent.

If I remember correctly the smaller countries had the most beautiful stamps and the larger countries were sort of boring. In the end they weren't really worth a whole lot but she enjoyed it and stamp collecting doesn't really take up a lot of room either!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
29-11-2016, 05:09 PM
(29-11-2016 09:20 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  You know what I'd use against that?

A chain.

Live electrical cable.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
29-11-2016, 05:18 PM
(29-11-2016 03:58 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My mother was into stamp collecting. We all couldn't understand her fascination with stamp collecting at the time, but now that I think about it she loved to learn about other countries, small and large, from collecting each county's stamps. Stamps were a sort of gateway to learning about other places.

Lots of stamps have animals on them so she would collect those and then learn about the animals. There was some country that had a series of huge stamps with butterflies common to that country. The stamps were iridescent.

If I remember correctly the smaller countries had the most beautiful stamps and the larger countries were sort of boring. In the end they weren't really worth a whole lot but she enjoyed it and stamp collecting doesn't really take up a lot of room either!

I did that as a kid - collected colorful animal stamps. And plant ones. And yes, the obscurest countries would always have the most gorgeous stamps.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-11-2016, 06:48 PM
(29-11-2016 09:26 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I once collected roosters, because (and I'm not kidding) it was funny to say I'm surrounded by cocks. But some family members...took it a little too seriously.

But I was more like, if I found something interesting. Or folk arty...great...but I wasn't looking for the shit all the time and no way was I going into debt. But the extended family really killed the fun -- I ended up with a set of bowls with roosters on them, kitchen towels, salt and pepper shakers...I liked roosters but I don't want every piece of crap out there just because it's shaped like a rooster or has a tooster on it. Dodgy

When we moved, I finally purged most of it from my life and was happy to do it.

My daughter's grandmother-in-law had a couple of things in her apartment that were rooster themed. She also then got everything rooster themed that anyone could find. Roosters for every occasion to the point of it being ridiculous. When they moved her into a home she finally admitted that she was sick of the roosters when her daughter tried to bring a couple into her room. What started as a couple interesting pieces to her became a nightmare.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF