Hobbies I Just Don't Get

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 07:05 PM
RE: Hobbies I Just Don't Get
I have a respectable amount of footwear for a guy, but they all have a specific purpose Tongue

Desert tan combat boots + spare
Coyote brown combat boots + spare
Black dress shoes for Class As (dress uniform)
Silver and gold ceremonial spurs for the above
Light hiking boots
Gortex hiking boots
Casual walking shoes
Closed toe sandals
Black dress shoes (for those rare occasions I wear a suit)
Indoor black duty boots
Summer black duty boots
Winter black duty boots
Tora Bora alpine boots
Climbing shoes
Running shoes for paved roads/paths
Trail running shoes
Lifting shoes
Cross training shoes
Wrestling shoes

[Image: OlXvX39.gif]

I've only got 4 guns though Weeping

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
29-11-2016, 07:14 PM
I collected stickers as a kid and friendship bracelets. My bf is a pack rat and I don't like clutter, so trying to find a balance there is not easy Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Remember pogs?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
29-11-2016, 07:18 PM
I collect action figures. They've taken over most of my house. I need help.
29-11-2016, 07:24 PM
(29-11-2016 07:05 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I have a respectable amount of footwear for a guy, but they all have a specific purpose Tongue

Desert tan combat boots + spare
Coyote brown combat boots + spare
Black dress shoes for Class As (dress uniform)
Silver and gold ceremonial spurs for the above
Light hiking boots
Gortex hiking boots
Casual walking shoes
Closed toe sandals
Black dress shoes (for those rare occasions I wear a suit)
Indoor black duty boots
Summer black duty boots
Winter black duty boots
Tora Bora alpine boots
Climbing shoes
Running shoes for paved roads/paths
Trail running shoes
Lifting shoes
Cross training shoes
Wrestling shoes

[Image: OlXvX39.gif]

I've only got 4 guns though Weeping
That is an impressive number of shoes...that's gotta be more than the shoes I have. Now you've made me want to go and count my pairs of shoes. Be right back!

(pause to survey my closet) Okay...47 pairs of shoes. Can that be right? Maybe a couple of pairs on the front porch that I missed, plus the snow boots in the basement, and the trainers on the treadmill plus the old ones that don't support my arches. I most definitely have fewer than 60 pairs of shoes in the house at this moment in time.

No guns here, although we do have two swords (including the samurai sword in the garage) and various knives.
29-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Not too many.

Walking shoes (Merril)
Safety shoes (Red Wing), brown
Work shoes (Red Wing), black
Hiking boots (Red Wing), brown
Wingtips (Florsheim), black

And I can't wear my orthotics with the Wingtips, so I usually wear the black work shoes out to dinner. I'm a retired old man, and anyone looking at my shoes trying to determine my social status can kiss my ass. When I go to see my money guy, all the suits shrink into the elevator walls, because I usually wear Dickey's work clothing and the black work shoes. Laughat
29-11-2016, 09:19 PM
I was watching the Sunday Morning Show on CBS a few weeks ago and they had these guys who collected washing machines. That's right, washing machines.

This is really funny. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
29-11-2016, 09:43 PM
I used to like the cheesy knives. I blame D&D. Got over it in the desert when I was able to carry a katana under my poncho. Discovered I really don't wanna cut nobody. Angel

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-11-2016, 10:13 PM
(29-11-2016 09:09 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 07:57 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  So, you're saying something like this would be a waste of money...

[Image: GHAlien20009_zpswg2ckbma.jpg]

For the record, this is about as fancy as I care for, and I wouldn't actually buy one.
[Image: 4677e1a5f1d0b034920f01f58912acb6_zpsm0ytvhsk.jpg]

The first isn't something you could use for combat- too heavy. The second looks pretty cool, a lot more so than my $9 Swiss Army knife.

I have dozens of sharp-edged chisels, knives and gouges that I use for wood carving. They are different shapes to facilitate the work. Some people at the carving class give me grief, but that's just jealousy, near as I can tell. I built a custom chest to store and transport them. I wouldn't call it a collection, though. Collections are for just looking at, yes?
In that same way I have some old planes that are sharp and functional. I used the #8 Bailey the other day to straighten out a piece of ash before slicing it in the table saw.
[Image: IMG_20161106_144201_zpshmalpx9h.jpg]
Functional and looks great hanging on the wall, if I ever get that project done Smile
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
30-11-2016, 05:10 AM
(29-11-2016 03:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I think hobbies and/or collecting stuff is a very personal issue. One man's meat etc.

I collect 35mm film cameras, and have done so ever since I got thoroughly bored with unimaginative and uncontrollable auto digital cameras—whose OoC images invariably require some sort of wanky software manipulation after the event.

I collect German and Russian cameras, and only Nikon cameras. I have no idea of their collective dollar value, but they're nice to have and to hold, and they all put the current crop of digital cameras in the shade as far as engineering and technical attributes go.

I did B+W photography 20 years back -- and still had all my equipment up till a couple years ago.....

My Durst enlarger wouldn't bring a dollar -- nor would my AE-1 camera - which in the day were pretty decent equipment......

It all ended up in the dumpster.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.