Hobbies I Just Don't Get

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2017, 07:39 PM
RE: Hobbies I Just Don't Get
Collect experiences and memories, everything else is just waiting to be thrown out or sold. (see my thread on End of Life Clutter, Crap and Stuff)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
07-01-2017, 07:45 PM
(07-01-2017 07:39 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 09:19 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was watching the Sunday Morning Show on CBS a few weeks ago and they had these guys who collected washing machines. That's right, washing machines.

This is really funny. Laugh out load

This is hysterical!! I love how much joy these men get out of watching laundry washing.

Big Grin

It's a little frightening.
07-01-2017, 08:35 PM
(07-01-2017 07:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 10:13 PM)skyking Wrote:  In that same way I have some old planes that are sharp and functional. I used the #8 Bailey the other day to straighten out a piece of ash before slicing it in the table saw.
[Image: IMG_20161106_144201_zpshmalpx9h.jpg]
Functional and looks great hanging on the wall, if I ever get that project done Smile

I have a couple old planes that belonged to one of my grandfathers. He was a master carpenter by trade when he was still in Germany. Not sure if they would still work but they do look cool along with other old tools of his and dad's. One of my favorite pieces is a very old scythe hanging on the garage wall.

Don't let somebody offer you $5 for them. Some of those old planes are worth serious bucks. I have an old double-pull tree saw about 9' long hanging in the rafters in the garage.
07-01-2017, 08:38 PM
(07-01-2017 07:39 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 09:19 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was watching the Sunday Morning Show on CBS a few weeks ago and they had these guys who collected washing machines. That's right, washing machines.

This is really funny. Laugh out load

This is hysterical!! I love how much joy these men get out of watching laundry washing.

Big Grin

Laugh out load Throw 'em in the washer, when they're done, throw 'em in the dryer. When they're dry, fold 'em, hang 'em and put 'em away. NOTHING is exciting in that process.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-01-2017, 08:41 PM
(07-01-2017 07:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Collect experiences and memories, everything else is just waiting to be thrown out or sold. (see my thread on End of Life Clutter, Crap and Stuff)

If my wife dies before I do, I'll have an antique buyer/estimator come in and give me a lot price. The rest will go to charity. After that, it'll be a couple 30 yard dumpsters. It ain't "Hoarders", yet, but it's pretty bad. I like to keep a tight ship, but some people just have "collector's disease".
07-01-2017, 11:35 PM
(07-01-2017 08:41 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 07:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Collect experiences and memories, everything else is just waiting to be thrown out or sold. (see my thread on End of Life Clutter, Crap and Stuff)

If my wife dies before I do, I'll have an antique buyer/estimator come in and give me a lot price. The rest will go to charity. After that, it'll be a couple 30 yard dumpsters. It ain't "Hoarders", yet, but it's pretty bad. I like to keep a tight ship, but some people just have "collector's disease".

I think it’s a personality disorder. My sister in law only seems to feel good when she buys stuff, her husband is thinking of leaving her because he can’t take coming home anymore to chaos. She doesn’t work so she’s home all day, doesn’t clean or cook for her or the kids just watches TV or goes shopping. The place looks like a bomb went off with all the stuff strewn everywhere.

A 30 yard dumpster is what they need.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-01-2017, 01:17 AM
I came face to face with my gathering disease today. I had to carve out a space in the garage to do a project. This is prompting a purge.
08-01-2017, 01:38 AM
[Image: share_steam_logo.png]

You guys should see my STEAM library. So many games that I've bought because I wanted to play them, and there was a deep discount (annual summer or holiday sale), but then it got placed on the back burner because I was in the middle of another game at the moment, and I simply never got back around to actually playing it. So many games in my library have zero hours worth of play time.

Resident Evil 6
STYX: Master of Shadows
Sniper Elite III
Awesomenauts

A ton of indie games that came with Humble Bundle deals...

So, so many...

But here I am, putting in hour 200+ into Killing Floor 2...

#PCgaming

[Image: FB89F4DE1B2AF3C1E4938128C11517239057F2E8]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-01-2017, 01:49 AM
I don't get those people that treat their favourite Sportsball as a sacred rite. Especially the ones that gather paraphernalia like a rat hoarding straw for a nest.

Sportsballs in general confuse me. I say this as a person who aeons ago used to play school Australian Rules Sportsball.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-01-2017, 02:07 AM
(07-01-2017 07:09 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I don't get gardening. I mean, the end result is pretty, but to get it, you have to dig around in the dirt when it's hot outside and remember to water the damn things. My philosophy when I want plants is

1. Ask the nursery which are hardest to kill
2. Wait until it's not stupid hot outside
3. Dig the hole, plant it, water it, maybe spread some fertilizer if I remembered to get any
4. Wish it well and interact with it as little as possible. Most don't make it.

I do have hydrangeas and ferns that have survived 2 seasons. Waiting to see if they come up next season.

I have tried in the past to do everything right with indoor and outdoor plants, and actually care for them, but it makes little difference.

Like you i always found gardening extremely boring, particularly because of a lack of interaction with your "product".
Yet as i grew older i somehow learned to appreciate how much more satisfying interaction with plants can be than with people. Once i told people to shoot me as soon as i become a gardener, now i have my windows full of plants and am growing stuff like tomatos on my balcony. You may ask why i am still alive? I dropped those friends. Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post