Hobbies I Just Don't Get

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 07:00 AM
RE: Hobbies I Just Don't Get
Used to collect books and some tools. Now I prefer to borrow both from the local library. But I still collect plants and there seems to be no end of amazing ones on the horizon. Not houseplants. Those I invariably kill. But put them in the ground and they have a chance. Of course I only go for ones which have a decent chance somewhere in my garden.

When I was a kid I was fascinated by animals. Would of had a zoo at home if I could. But animals are harder to care for, sometimes dangerous and take more space. Plus it just seems mean to confine and restrict them for ones own amusement. But a plant that is getting what it needs is a happy plant wherever it may be.

I enjoy looking at art but can't imagine having the loot to collect it, plus I don't need it near by all the time. I'm happy to go see exhibitions and to have qualified people take care of it. Stuff in general isn't anything I want to collect, though I can appreciate looking at other people's collections including cars, rocks and antiques.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2017, 07:45 AM
I have actually posed with the dead deer hanging with the rifle I shot it with.

And later, I wondered why.....

Haven't done it again in years.......

Some stuff you do, simply because "that's how it's done".

Once you come to that realization, it does seem rather stupid.....

In hunting, I find the best trophy is a full freezer...........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-01-2017, 01:11 PM
(10-01-2017 07:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I have actually posed with the dead deer hanging with the rifle I shot it with.

And later, I wondered why.....

Haven't done it again in years.......

Some stuff you do, simply because "that's how it's done".

Once you come to that realization, it does seem rather stupid.....

In hunting, I find the best trophy is a full freezer...........

If it were people, on the other hand, a souvenir would be in order. I mean you could still stock the freezer, you just couldn't tell people it's not deer.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
10-01-2017, 02:16 PM
(10-01-2017 07:00 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Used to collect books and some tools. Now I prefer to borrow both from the local library. But I still collect plants and there seems to be no end of amazing ones on the horizon. Not houseplants. Those I invariably kill. But put them in the ground and they have a chance. Of course I only go for ones which have a decent chance somewhere in my garden.

When I was a kid I was fascinated by animals. Would of had a zoo at home if I could. But animals are harder to care for, sometimes dangerous and take more space. Plus it just seems mean to confine and restrict them for ones own amusement. But a plant that is getting what it needs is a happy plant wherever it may be.

I enjoy looking at art but can't imagine having the loot to collect it, plus I don't need it near by all the time. I'm happy to go see exhibitions and to have qualified people take care of it. Stuff in general isn't anything I want to collect, though I can appreciate looking at other people's collections including cars, rocks and antiques.

I kind of like having a library in my house.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
10-01-2017, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 08:11 PM by Astreja.)
I used to have multiple collections:
  • Dragonlance stuff
  • Dragon-themed figurines and artwork
  • Stuffed toys
  • Canadian pennies
  • Semi-precious stones
  • Interesting coffee cups
For all intents and purposes I was also collecting musical instruments, buying them but not getting around to playing them. At one point I had a 5-string bass, 4 guitars, 3 recorders, an Irish penny whistle, a bodhran, a violin, 5 keyboards, assorted small percussion items, a flute, and a clarinet. (I'm now down to 1 digital piano, a broken keyboard that'll be donated to someone who can fix it, and just my woodwinds -- 3 clarinets, a flute and a sax. All of them, with the exception of the malfunctioning synth, get played regularly.)

With the exception of the pennies, I still have a few examples of each collection but am not adding anything new. There's a simple rule: If it starts to gather dust or otherwise look like clutter, and has no other redeeming features such as sentimental value, out it goes. When I realized that all those collections were crowding me, getting in the way and generally driving me crazy, I got rid of massive amounts of stuff. Also downsized the library, which used to be huge and now fits nicely in the same cabinet where I keep most of the collectibles.

Main hobby -- more of an avocation, actually -- is playing in community concert bands. Gardening, gourmet cooking, sewing, renovating the house and occasionally brewing mead are not quite hobbies; I see them more as Standard Household Procedures.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user