Hobby Lobby case and pastafarian colanders

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Hobby Lobby case and pastafarian colanders
This is an entirely legal question about the hobby lobby case.

If I insisted my employees wear a calendar to work, or dressed as pirates, under my religion of pastafarianism, does the law give me legal grounds for doing so?

"A witty quote means nothing"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2014, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 02:30 PM by ClydeLee.)
RE: Hobby Lobby case and pastafarian colanders
Not at all on that case. The case doesn't indicate that an employer can make an employee do something based on their religion. A Christian claimed business can't make employee's wear crosses

It's that there are government mandates one can deny access to based on religious descrimination.

There currently is an attempt to bring to trail up on the basis of the Hobby Lobby case by a Satanic Church Group. I think the same one involved in some of those religious monuments. They want to make it legally standing that a supposed Satanic believing business could deny requirements some states have made regarding "required" pamphlet reading and waiting periods prior to getting an abortion. So it's something in mocker and in other actual religious situations, people are trying to use.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the law allows an employer to enforce a dress code. I don't think you need to be pastafarian, Christian, or whatever, to have an employee uniform.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
10-12-2014, 03:16 PM
If I have to wear a calendar I would want one of those Word of the Day ones.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
10-12-2014, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 03:25 PM by Reltzik.)
(10-12-2014 02:12 PM)tear151 Wrote:  This is an entirely legal question about the hobby lobby case.

If I insisted my employees wear a calendar to work, or dressed as pirates, under my religion of pastafarianism, does the law give me legal grounds for doing so?

Hobby Lobby wasn't (in theory) about what employers could force employees to do, it was about what employers could be legally mandated to do for their employees. Specifically, owners of tightly controlled private corporations could not be mandated to do something (like pay for birth control) which violated their deeply held religious beliefs (even when they held stock in companies that did exactly that).

The messed up part of the ruling was not how it dealt with the relationship between employer and employee, but how it dealt with the relationship between government and the religious. Essentially, it established a precedent under which the religious have carte blanche to refuse to obey laws on the ground that their religion (or whatever they conveniently identify as their religion, as there's no examination of that claim) is opposed to those laws.

That said, it's well-established elsewhere that employers can impose silly uniform requirements on employees as terms of their employ. You might run into trouble if the clothing is unsafe or sexually exploitative, and I think the employer has to pay for the uniforms, but that NEVER gets enforced, especially not in the fast food industry. Otherwise, knock yourself out.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
10-12-2014, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 03:38 PM by Full Circle.)
(10-12-2014 03:16 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  If I have to wear a calendar I would want one of those Word of the Day ones.

That's colander Rosanna Rosanadanna Yes

Edit: @ Tear151

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-12-2014, 03:37 PM
(10-12-2014 03:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 03:16 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  If I have to wear a calendar I would want one of those Word of the Day ones.

Pasta - colander ... oh

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-12-2014, 03:39 PM
(10-12-2014 03:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Edit: @ Tear151

Yes, that's what I get for taking his actual post literally. So are you saying I can't wear a calendar now?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
10-12-2014, 03:40 PM
(10-12-2014 02:12 PM)tear151 Wrote:  This is an entirely legal question about the hobby lobby case.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
10-12-2014, 03:41 PM
I have to stop being so subtle with my humor.

----
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post