Hobby Lobby, religious freedom and contraception

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Hobby Lobby, religious freedom and contraception
For those of you who haven't been keeping up on this whold thing, Hobby Lobby is owned by a devout Christian family and are fighting having to pay for contraception that goes against their religious beliefs. They're upset with several things one being the contraception Ella and Plan B but, of course, being super christian folk that they are and having a big problem understanding basic science and biology they can't grasp the fact that Plan B and Ella don't cause abortion but prevent fertilization from happening from the get go, much like birth control pills.

It seems that no matter how much scientific evidence there is that these two contraceptive pills don't cause abortion they are against it.

Idiots. God damn stupid idiots.

Even the Catholic church in Europe isn't apposed to Plan B.

Unfortunately there aren't any Hobby Lobby's around here for me to boycot. Dammit!

Oh, and here's a article from Mother Jones on this.....

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014...-obamacare

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 05:07 PM
RE: Hobby Lobby, religious freedom and contraception
What exactly does the "hobby Lobby" represent?

And is what they represent really in need of having a lobby?

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
02-04-2014, 05:11 PM
(02-04-2014 05:07 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  What exactly does the "hobby Lobby" represent?

Hobby Lobby is the name of a chain of hobby shops. It's not a lobby in the political sense.

What I want to know is, if I were a Christian with strong views that my Christianity required me to be an anti-war pacifist, could I then sue to exempt myself from being taxed to support the military?
02-04-2014, 05:13 PM
This is what I don't understand.

If they don't agree with contraception they don't have to take it.

What is it of their fracking business what their employees do?!
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
02-04-2014, 05:14 PM
They're wasting their money trying to fight their damn fight. I might be able to see their point if they're Christian related. But they're not. They've got a few religious crafts but all in all they're just a place you can buy stain glass, yarn, beads, fabric, ect. Nothing more nothing less. They do not have a religious theme to them therefore I believe they have no ground when the owners complain about Plan B and whatnot. Not that they should be able to deny their employees that right even if they were a Christian themed store but legally I think it would be a better case.

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
02-04-2014, 05:15 PM
(02-04-2014 05:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  For those of you who haven't been keeping up on this whold thing, Hobby Lobby is owned by a devout Christian family and are fighting having to pay for contraception that goes against their religious beliefs.

The crux of this argument is so stupid. No one's religious beliefs are being violated because no one is being forced to provide birth control; they're being forced to provide health insurance which may, or may not be used to obtain birth control at the employee's discretion. If this bothers them so much, perhaps they should reexamine whether their religious freedoms are being violated for being forced to provide a paycheck... which may, or may not be used to obtain birth control at the employee's discretion.

Fucking assholes. What they actually want is to save money, but this is a smoke screen.

(02-04-2014 05:07 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  What exactly does the "hobby Lobby" represent?

It's a hobby shop. They're using the word "lobby" as in "an area in a building" and not "a political activism committee". It just happens to be owned by a couple of mouth-breathers.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
02-04-2014, 06:31 PM
(02-04-2014 05:14 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  They're wasting their money trying to fight their damn fight. I might be able to see their point if they're Christian related. But they're not. They've got a few religious crafts but all in all they're just a place you can buy stain glass, yarn, beads, fabric, ect. Nothing more nothing less. They do not have a religious theme to them therefore I believe they have no ground when the owners complain about Plan B and whatnot. Not that they should be able to deny their employees that right even if they were a Christian themed store but legally I think it would be a better case.

Mother Jones just did a report on Hobby Lobby's company retirement plan investment. Seems they are invested in pharmaceutical companies like Pfizer that produce drugs that induce abortions. It doesn't seem to bother them too much when money is being made from abortion drugs, it's another thing when they have to pay for contraception though.

Hypocrits.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014...rug-makers

Good investigative journalism on M Jones part.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-04-2014, 06:58 PM
(02-04-2014 05:13 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  This is what I don't understand.

If they don't agree with contraception they don't have to take it.

What is it of their fracking business what their employees do?!

That would be the common sense normal position to take, but we can't have that because they're 'hardcore' Christians and the normal common sense route is never their chosen route.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-04-2014, 08:02 PM
(02-04-2014 06:31 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Seems they are invested in pharmaceutical companies like Pfizer that produce drugs that induce abortions. It doesn't seem to bother them too much when money is being made from abortion drugs, it's another thing when they have to pay for contraception though.

Hypocrits.

"Liars" is probably better. In both cases (their investments and the current shit fit they're throwing), they're looking to make/save money.
02-04-2014, 08:03 PM
The taxes they pay as a company fund clinics that perform abortions, fund prisons that kill people on death row, fund military weapons that slaughter 50 innocent men, women & children in an attempt to murder one person that they suspect might be a terrorist.

Their religious beliefs don't make them above the law. Belief what you want to as a person, but your company isn't a person. Your company can't hold beliefs. Provide insurance under the regulations of law or don't. Your choice.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results