Hobby lobby fall out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Hobby lobby fall out
Have any of you seen news on companies looking to opt out of medical coverage for religious reasons beyond birth control? I know there are lots of BC cases pending. I have been keeping an eye out for other cases. I am waiting for the unintended consequences to start popping up. So let me know the first timw a Jehovah's Witness files to opt out of transfusions and blood based meds or a muslin wants to opt out of swine based stuff like heart valves or... I am sure you get the idea.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
04-12-2014, 11:40 PM
RE: Hobby lobby fall out
But Scalia or Roberts, whichever... said it would only apply in this one case only.. and couldn't possibly be used in other essences by the people in courts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-12-2014, 12:29 AM
What do those two fuckheads know?

https://news.vice.com/article/a-911-susp...his-rights

Quote:A 9/11 Suspect Is Using the Hobby Lobby Ruling to Argue Female Prison Guards Violate His Rights

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
05-12-2014, 11:03 AM
RBG saw this coming.

"Would the exemption…extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?]…Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision."

"Approving some religious claims while deeming others unworthy of accommodation could be 'perceived as favoring one religion over another,' the very 'risk the [Constitution's] Establishment Clause was designed to preclude."

"The court, I fear, has ventured into a minefield."

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-12-2014, 11:29 AM
I believe a Mormom used Hobby Lobby to get out of testifying against a church member accused of violating child labor laws.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5844696

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
05-12-2014, 02:03 PM
(05-12-2014 11:03 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  RBG saw this coming.

"Would the exemption…extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?]…Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision."

"Approving some religious claims while deeming others unworthy of accommodation could be 'perceived as favoring one religion over another,' the very 'risk the [Constitution's] Establishment Clause was designed to preclude."

"The court, I fear, has ventured into a minefield."

I saw it coming too. I am surprised devout Jews and Muslims are not jumping on this ruling to get out of paying for non-kosher/halal medicines. I did a quick check at lunch and the list on non-compliant meds is long. Lots of everyday stuff on the non-approved list to boot.
05-12-2014, 02:13 PM
(05-12-2014 11:29 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I believe a Mormom used Hobby Lobby to get out of testifying against a church member accused of violating child labor laws.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5844696

This is insane! Wait until someone stones a kid to death for disobedience and uses this moronic decision as an excuse. This or something similar will likely happen soon.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-12-2014, 04:50 PM
(04-12-2014 11:40 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  But Scalia or Roberts, whichever... said it would only apply in this one case only.. and couldn't possibly be used in other essences by the people in courts.

They're idiots.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
09-03-2015, 09:02 AM
The fallout continues with the SCOTUS sending this back to the lower courts.

Supreme Court sends Notre Dame contraception mandate challenge to lower court

(Reuters) - The Supreme Court on Monday threw out an appeals court decision that went against the University of Notre Dame over its religious objections to the Obamacare health law’s contraception requirement.

The justices asked the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to reconsider its decision in favor of the Obama administration in light of the June 2014 Supreme Court ruling that allowed closely held corporations to seek exemptions from the provision.

The court’s action means the February 2014 appeals court ruling that denied the South Bend, Indiana-based Roman Catholic university an injunction against the requirement has been wiped out.

The 2010 Affordable Care Act, known widely as Obamacare, requires employers to provide health insurance policies that cover preventive services for women including access to contraception and sterilization.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/0...picks=true

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Why is a university objective to handing out contraception anyway? The university I went too couldn't wait to force bucket loads of condoms down our throats.
It shows responsibility and you have the added bonus of having students that don't walk around scratching their junk all day.