Hoi there

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2011, 07:52 AM

Hoi there
I never quite know what to do with these introduction type thingies, but I figured I better do something. Somehow the fact that there's a place to do it makes it feel like skipping over it would be sneaky somehow. xD

Anyway, name's Holly and I'll be 19 by the end of the week. I lived in New Mexico for most of my life, but I always wanted to move to Alaska and finally did that in January this year.
I certainly do love it here, but it's felt a little odd - Religion has always been something that's made my blood boil, but I only really "realized" I was an atheist (mostly because before then all I ever thought was that I didn't put any faith in the idea of a god. I had been saying there wasn't one for years, but it just never occurred to me that not only was I not alone, but that there was a huge community of us out there.)

Anyway - I really got into looking at atheist videos online right about the time I was getting ready to move here as has been my dream for years, and suddenly it dawned on me; my 'dream land' was full of super-christian conservatives (and hunters.)
Well, I still love it here and I won't let that fact change my mind, but I've been spending most my time alone and still obsessing over this whole 'atheism' thing. I've been listening to all the Thinking Atheist podcasts and such and I finally kind of caught on that, "Oh hey, there's a forum, huh?"

So here I am. xD I'm sure this is a better place to talk about the subject than straining relationships with friends just because I long for the discussion.

So...yeah. That's about all I can think of, and even that was a bit long-winded.
...Hi. :U
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes North's post
12-05-2011, 08:16 AM

RE: Hoi there
It's nice to meet you!

I'm Kassie, lol and I know what you mean about just finding out about the forum =D I just noticed it the other day!

You sound a lot like me, how you figured out you were an atheist before you even knew there were other people you can talk to. lol I was the same way, even from a young age the religion topic was a very awkward topic for me, I guess because I didn't really understand.

Sorry for rambling, but I basicly wanted to comment and ask how it is up there in Alaska? I have always wanted to go there, mainly to see the Iditarod! I think that would be really cool!
12-05-2011, 08:26 AM

Oh, I know!! I've wanted to see the Iditarod my whole life, but I got the date wrong and I missed it for the first time I was here to seeee. D:
And it's cool! I've loved it here since the moment I arrived. I loved the dark winter (I showed up here without even a coat. xD I didn't have any winter clothes. And it was -40) and now in the summer the sun almost never sets! I think it's awesome.
Except the pirates running the internet up here. They've set up usage caps. Every page refresh costs a little bit. Dx I'm on the highest plan, and it's still only 6000MB per month.

And yeah, I remember when I was really little my Dad's family wanted me to go to their churches. We went, but very rarely. I went to Sunday school for a while. I must have been five and six years old at the time, and all I can remember is being bored out of my mind and feeling alone while all the other children soaked up the stories like nothing. They just seemed wrong to me. They seemed like stories that just didn't quite click. I mean, when I was four years old I knew more about dinosaurs than most people probably ever learn about them. I was obsessed with animals and those same religious grandparents would take me to the natural history museum all the time. I was caught up in farming facts about animals and nature and dinosaurs. Noah's Ark just seemed wrong.
12-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Haha nice! I can't believe you didnt bring a coat!
but that does sound like something i would do, lol =) pack everything but the jacket.

Yea I remember sunday school some, I remember when they did tell us the stories, I didn't think they where true, I thought they where just that, stories. And when we would pray, it just felt really awkward, I remember thinking 'what am I suppost to be doing'?? Is there suppost to be someone listening? but after that I never really thought anything of it, I didn't go to church and religion didn't cross my mind at all. Now I am proud to say that I am an Athiest, the only downfall being the people that think it is there mission to convert me, but i bet you know how that goes.

btw, I'm in school right now so if i don't reply, i will later. lol sorry
12-05-2011, 08:55 AM

Hahaha, no worries. I understand school.
And I didn't bring a coat because I had no winter clothes for New Mexico. It was never much colder than 20 degrees there, and I would gladly go out in shorts and a T-shirt in that weather. xD
I waited to buy winter clothing here because it NM didn't have the right kinds of gear. We had coats, but not 50 below coats. Plus, i you buy it before you go, you gotta pay for the luggage!

And yeh. I remember prayers in sunday school. I always got in trouble because I refused to just sit there for them. I had too many questions about the stories they had just told, or what tracing leaves with charcoal had to do with God.
I remember I used to be obsessed with Veggietales tapes and my grandparents thought it was adorable, but all I remember was listening in horror trying to understand why god would stick that guy in a pit full of lions in the first place! xD
12-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Heart RE: Hoi there
Hello Holly, and welcome. [Image: 4.gif]

I had thought Palin was the best forewarning of what one would find in Alaska, should they look to relocate there.
I feel for you. Ultra-Conservative Christians and hunters, everywhere you look. Eegads!Undecided

You have a lot of guts, following your dream. I think you'll do well. Perhaps you can see this transition as a test of your resolve to stay true to yourself. There you are, living in your dream land, now surrounded by what is otherwise a nightmare atmosphere of everything you hold in contempt.

Christianity, ultra-right wing extremist flavor especially, thrives on intimidation. The hubris present in thinking there's only one god, and one way to think about that and live the "truth" of that. While being outnumbered by those who think like that, can be daunting. However, you have the advantage because you buy none of it. So you can live your dream free of the slave mentality that obsesses the rest. Stay strong, and maybe you can see those you encounter as an opportunity to learn why you hold to atheism, because what they live and example doesn't feed your intellect, sense of self or personal philosophy.
See it as an opportunity for higher education. Instead of as a confine for everything you can't stand.

I'm glad you're here. And I love your avatar. Smile
12-05-2011, 09:10 AM

(12-05-2011 08:55 AM)North Wrote:  Hahaha, no worries. I understand school.
And I didn't bring a coat because I had no winter clothes for New Mexico. It was never much colder than 20 degrees there, and I would gladly go out in shorts and a T-shirt in that weather. xD
I waited to buy winter clothing here because it NM didn't have the right kinds of gear. We had coats, but not 50 below coats. Plus, i you buy it before you go, you gotta pay for the luggage!

lol I didn't think about that! Ill remember that before I go, here in Kentucky it would be a little bit easier to get a coat though. =)

Ha I remember vegitales! I didn't like it tho, lol talking vegitables!? and at that point I didn't really pay attention to the stories, all i knew was it was cartoons. but I guess I got kinda lucky wen I was a kid, my mom didn't make me go to church (I just went when my little brother wanted to go) and we never really brought up the religion subject (I still thought it was a really awkward subject).
12-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Thanks!
And actually, as far as I gather, Palin is sort of...hated here as a traitor. Not a "true" Alaskan, but some crazy celebrity-crazed woman who ditched the state to chase the lime light instead of doing anything she said she would. People even hate her because she doesn't kill animals in the same way that "real" Alaskans kill animals (that is, she apparently fishes like a tourist or some crap like that)

And I found, happily, that my psychology professor is an atheist. I got the sense that he was because of the way he worded some things, but I did some digging and found he even has a personal blog where he talks about religion and all kinds of things. xD
Augh. I was sooo frustrated sitting in his class listening to a handful of students complaining about things he told them (just scientific facts, not politics or anything) because they conflicted with their beliefs...Y'know, as reality tends to do.
We wasted so many hours trying to get religious people to shut up an accept evolution or whatever else so those of us actually interested in the topic could move on...

But the good news is, I saw the lights begin to turn on for an equal number of them. Maybe, just maybe, they'll start to ask questions now.

Now if I could just find that phantom atheist group at my university...xD
I've emailed them and they said, "Sure! Come hang out with us!" but I can never find them. All I find is the myriad of campus ministry groups competing with eachother. I think the atheist group is like in a basement somewhere. xD

And thank you! That's my dog, Denali. He goes to school with me and everything so I've always got someone to mutter to when the crazy religious students drive me up the wall. xD
lol I didn't think about that! Ill remember that before I go, here in Kentucky it would be a little bit easier to get a coat though. =)

Ha I remember vegitales! I didn't like it tho, lol talking vegitables!? and at that point I didn't really pay attention to the stories, all i knew was it was cartoons. but I guess I got kinda lucky wen I was a kid, my mom didn't make me go to church (I just went when my little brother wanted to go) and we never really brought up the religion subject (I still thought it was a really awkward subject).

--
Heh. I've always been interested in talking about it, but no one would talk the way I wanted to talk about it.
And vegitales was some super surreal stuff to me. I never really saw the TV show. My grandparents gave me veggietales cassette tapes. They really got me into listening to books on tape, and I reaaally loved listening to stories and imagining them (Hank the Cowdog was my favourite) so a veggietales tape slipped into the mix didn't seem unusual. But I was mesmerized by the stories - and not in a good way. I was very...well, disturbed, honestly. It freaked me out that they were mixing these random cute and happy, silly songs - like about Water buffalo, missing combs, and kangaroos...and then the next moment, telling a frightening bible story. I listened over and over just trying to understand why god was so important, and why people liked him so much when all he ever did seemed so horrible.
12-05-2011, 09:28 AM

(12-05-2011 09:17 AM)North Wrote:  And thank you! That's my dog, Denali. He goes to school with me and everything so I've always got someone to mutter to when the crazy religious students drive me up the wall. xD

Wow! thats really your dog? he's beautiful!! he kinda looks like a wolf! (Im obsessed with wolves) =)
12-05-2011, 09:37 AM

(12-05-2011 09:28 AM)KassieQ193 Wrote:  
(12-05-2011 09:17 AM)North Wrote:  And thank you! That's my dog, Denali. He goes to school with me and everything so I've always got someone to mutter to when the crazy religious students drive me up the wall. xD

Wow! thats really your dog? he's beautiful!! he kinda looks like a wolf! (Im obsessed with wolves) =)

Yeah, everyone thinks that. xD I can't believe he was in the shelter and nobody else wanted him! He's a German shephered/malamute cross, I think. We took him to a wolf sanctuary to ask if he was part wolf, and they said they didn't think he was. All the wolf hybrids they had were a looot bigger than him, too, and they did not behave the same way he does.