Hollow.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2014, 12:37 AM
Hollow.
Lately, it seems as if I am a shadow of the person I once was. I no longer find joy in trying to uncover the mysteries of the world, I only see the broken parts that can't be fixed. I seem to be acting differently, and I fear that I have lost more than a couple of friends because of this... lack of certainty about myself (Both IRL, and here). I just feel like I was at a peak, and now I am in my decent to... well, rock bottom.

Sometimes, I just don't even care to participate in casual conversation with long cherished friends, and I can't even seem to hold an interest in an intellectual conversation about issues that are very important to me (gay rights, Education, science, etc). It just all seems so... Tedious.

help?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 12:41 AM
RE: Hollow.
You're growing up. Everything changes. You change.

You're constantly changing, and you don't stop changing.

You'll encounter periods such as these on several occasions throughout your lifetime.

It may seem bad now, but in the future, it won't seem as bad at all.

Hug

(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists.
[+] 5 users Like Ferdinand's post
15-02-2014, 12:43 AM
(15-02-2014 12:41 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  You're growing up. Everything changes. You change.

You're constantly changing, and you don't stop changing.

You'll encounter periods such as these on several occasions throughout your lifetime.

It may seem bad now, but in the future, it won't seem as bad at all.

Hug

Fuck that shit.

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
15-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Ferdi is correct.

When I deconverted I went through quite a phase of feeling like I needed to debate anyone and everyone. I still love my hobbies such as astronomy and cars and what not. However, the debating portion of me is rarely ever entertained.

I can very much relate to feeling "meh" about things.

I would say concentrate on the things that satisfy you and that you take pleasure in. You're an intelligent guy, it would be a shame to see it go to waste. As time goes on and you adjust to change, your tastes, ideas, influences and thoughts on things will also change. It is ok to see a "former self" because we all change with time.

I am not the person I was a year ago. Certainly not the person I was 3 years ago. Extremely different from who I was 5 years ago. Had you told me I would be any of those people from year to year when I was young and your age, I'd have easily said, "Yeah right. I'm going to do xyz with my life. I'll never stop doing abc and my interests will always be xyz. You're crazy."

You'll go through shit times and great times. People can blow all the smoke they want up your ass to make you feel good and give you the pat on your head and say, "Everything will be ok. You'll figure it out."

But without doing all the fluffy positive talk, I will reassure you, you will figure it out and one way or another, things will be ok man. I also wouldn't be too terribly concerned with people changing perception of you. I mean let's get real here, if you say that part of you is changing and you aren't the same person, and if your behaviors change, then it may be likely that your friendships and relationships may change as well. However, with that, new friendships eventually come along that compliment those behaviors and your character.

I know you've gone through a lot of shit, but you're an awesome and incredibly intelligent guy, so don't let the down get to ya and don't stop being A2.... whomever A2 may end up being as he grows up Thumbsup

If we're all made of the same atoms and energy the rest of the universe is comprised of, then we too are parts of the universe. This leads us to the entertainment which is debate. The best part is where the universe, having come into consciousness, cannot agree on how it came to be in the first place. Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
15-02-2014, 12:50 AM
(15-02-2014 12:43 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Fuck that shit.

The words of a growing teenager. Maybe it's a "phase." Maybe you just need to get a baseball bat and break some mailboxes.

But in all honesty, your problem is about understanding yourself, and at your age, your mind and everything about you is constantly changing.

Perhaps you seek more than the old conversations you once had. You need to put yourself out in the open for fresh topics, and new experiences.

(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists.
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
15-02-2014, 01:00 AM
(15-02-2014 12:50 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 12:43 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Fuck that shit.

The words of a growing teenager. Maybe it's a "phase." Maybe you just need to get a baseball bat and break some mailboxes.

But in all honesty, your problem is about understanding yourself, and at your age, your mind and everything about you is constantly changing.

Perhaps you seek more than the old conversations you once had. You need to put yourself out in the open for fresh topics, and new experiences.

Nope, not in the mood for this right now. Goodbye.

15-02-2014, 01:04 AM
(15-02-2014 01:00 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 12:50 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  The words of a growing teenager. Maybe it's a "phase." Maybe you just need to get a baseball bat and break some mailboxes.

Nope, not in the mood for this right now. Goodbye.

Could it perhaps be the audience you tend to hold the conversations with? I don't go on forums to debate and chit chat with theists hardly at all anymore. I much prefer to talk to close friends, hang out with them and discuss topics. I find the more often I see the same arguments over and over, the less interested I am in them.

One could say, "Sometimes I wish there were new arguments... just to pick them apart."

If we're all made of the same atoms and energy the rest of the universe is comprised of, then we too are parts of the universe. This leads us to the entertainment which is debate. The best part is where the universe, having come into consciousness, cannot agree on how it came to be in the first place. Laughat
15-02-2014, 01:10 AM
(15-02-2014 01:04 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 01:00 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Nope, not in the mood for this right now. Goodbye.

Could it perhaps be the audience you tend to hold the conversations with? I don't go on forums to debate and chit chat with theists hardly at all anymore. I much prefer to talk to close friends, hang out with them and discuss topics. I find the more often I see the same arguments over and over, the less interested I am in them.

One could say, "Sometimes I wish there were new arguments... just to pick them apart."

It has NOTHING to do with arguing the same points over and over. It has everything with having complete apathy towards a situation. Just today, a person came up to me and asked me what I thought about Kansas and how they might pass a law about discrimination against gays, and all I said was "I don't care."

Scientific inquiry no longer interests me, and it has nothing to do with arguing the same points over and over with. I do not go on theistic forum sites, I am talking SPECIFICALLY about the issues that my good friends bring up, and the banal and trivial chit-chat that follows. I have no drive to connect with people anymore. I have no drive to maintain relationships.

I don't want people to hold my hand. However, I do not need patronization, and the typical "growing up" bullshit.

If the person I am growing up to be is no longer interested in free inquiry, or scientific discoveries, then fuck that guy, bring the old me back.

15-02-2014, 01:13 AM
(15-02-2014 12:37 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Lately, it seems as if I am a shadow of the person I once was. I no longer find joy in trying to uncover the mysteries of the world, I only see the broken parts that can't be fixed. I seem to be acting differently, and I fear that I have lost more than a couple of friends because of this... lack of certainty about myself (Both IRL, and here). I just feel like I was at a peak, and now I am in my decent to... well, rock bottom.

Sometimes, I just don't even care to participate in casual conversation with long cherished friends, and I can't even seem to hold an interest in an intellectual conversation about issues that are very important to me (gay rights, Education, science, etc). It just all seems so... Tedious.

help?

You know it gets easier. The passion will kick in when it needs to or someone excites it.

Meanwhile....Hug

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

15-02-2014, 01:16 AM
(15-02-2014 01:10 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 01:04 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Could it perhaps be the audience you tend to hold the conversations with? I don't go on forums to debate and chit chat with theists hardly at all anymore. I much prefer to talk to close friends, hang out with them and discuss topics. I find the more often I see the same arguments over and over, the less interested I am in them.

It has NOTHING to do with arguing the same points over and over. It has everything with having complete apathy towards a situation. Just today, a person came up to me and asked me what I thought about Kansas and how they might pass a law about discrimination against gays, and all I said was "I don't care."

Scientific inquiry no longer interests me, and it has nothing to do with arguing the same points over and over with. I do not go on theistic forum sites, I am talking SPECIFICALLY about the issues that my good friends bring up, and the banal and trivial chit-chat that follows. I have no drive to connect with people anymore. I have no drive to maintain relationships.

I don't want people to hold my hand. However, I do not need patronization, and the typical "growing up" bullshit.

If the person I am growing up to be is no longer interested in free inquiry, or scientific discoveries, then fuck that guy, bring the old me back.

A2, I was calm and polite in my response to you, I fail to see why you need to insinuate frustration in your reply back to me.

I was not saying that you should, won't or are not interested in free inquiry, discoveries or otherwise. My point is that our concentration on the now changes dramatically with time and everything that happens.

I like astronomy, I find it interesting, I love it, it's who I am. Yet there are times I won't touch my telescope for months. Do you think that means I'm no longer interested in it or that it kills part of who I am? I always come back to it, my interests very much are what define me, just as yours define you.

Have you considered that maybe you're lacking motivation or going through some depression? I know no one enjoys admitting to those things, I personally suffer through depression swings myself. No one is themselves when they go through them and can often leave you with feelings of "hollow" or "empty" or just bland feelings. Lacking motivation to do the things you do, the things you enjoy, etc. Some people suffer through it situationally, others due to chemical imbalances.

That said, if you are asking for help and advice, the least you could do is not snap at the people who give 2 shits about you. People are only trying to help.

[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post