I'm as yet undecided
I have no idea, hell, I'd don't even know why I'm voting
[Show Results]

Holocaust Denial ........ A Crime?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Holocaust Denial ........ A Crime?
Over on TheArcticSage's rather controversial Was the Holocaust .... a lie? thread a rather interesting topic was mentioned but kinda got lost in the debate. I thought this topic was worthy of it's own thread and so here we are.

Here is a good place to say: We have the above thread for discussing the legitimacy of the holocaust, and I'd prefer this one not to descend into a discussion on that!

The topic I'm referring to is whether Holocaust Denial should be a crime.

I personally think it shouldn't be. I have no doubts that the holocaust happened and I understand that the denial of those events can be distressing to the Jewish community, especially those who were directly affected. However, I also believe in free speech and cannot condone such a blatant violation of an individuals free speech. Removing free speech from historical events is only a small step from removing it from political discussion (which is why I'm also against the banned of any party in a democracy, even the Nazi's), which is only a small step from a fascist dictatorship.

What are anyone else's views on this topic?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2012, 12:48 AM
RE: Holocaust Denial ........ A Crime?
I say, [Image: Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 6 users Like Erxomai's post
11-03-2012, 04:14 AM
But I am still going to use it as a measure of their reasoning skills. Which is to say, if you deny the holocaust, you are just as fucked in the head as those idiots who accept the existence of god. You deny empirical evidence and completely accept the spin of a wing nut fringe.

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
[+] 4 users Like coyoteran's post
11-03-2012, 04:27 AM
In my experience most that wish to deny the holocaust do so as a pretext to defending the Nazi ideologies.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Eternal's post
11-03-2012, 05:16 AM
I voted that I have no idea Tongue

I think... free speech is all very well but it's artificial. Ask any serf in the middle ages. The idea that you have the right to say what you like... it's quite strange.

I can see why they'd have such a law. If holocaust denial gained a following of anything more than the wingnut element then in a country where emotions over it run high it can be exploited for political gain and we're back to the bad old days again. I'd say that maybe such a law is unjust strictly speaking but necessary to keep the peace.
11-03-2012, 05:22 AM
I believe in shutting stupid people's mouth with massive amounts of evidence, if they make it a crime to doubt and investigate, then that evidence is impossible to get. So no, it shouldn't be a crime

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
11-03-2012, 08:56 AM
My current tenant and friend of 6 years is a very passionate revisionist of Holocaust history. He is convinced that mass slaughter did in fact occurred under the Nazi regime, but no where near on the scale claimed by the agencies that say it was in the millions. This is a conversation we have frequently, mostly while intoxicated. Little progress is ever made.

But despite his view on the matter being completely baseless and contradictory to the facts I see no reason that he should ever be charged for it. He has never abused, harassed or assaulted a Jew or Gypsy. He's never gone out and firebombed a Synagog or curb stomped some 'Hebies'. As far as I'm concerned the only thing he's guilty of is having a stupid fucking idea.

Newsflash: We all have stupid ideas, we have to get through them to get to the good ones. In short; no, a person who denounces evidence backed history should not be held as a criminal. If we did that then we would have to lock up all the JFK conspiracy nuts and 9/11 Truthers.

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
[+] 1 user Likes Dunhill808's post
12-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I voted "yes" because it looked lonely.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
12-03-2012, 06:23 PM
It should be only in 1984.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
12-03-2012, 06:31 PM
I voted 'no' because stupid isn't a crime.
Free speech trumps people's feelings.

I have the freedom to call Holocaust deniers ignorant, racist, and stupid. I have the freedom to burn a Koran or a Bible. Even the KKK has the right of free assembly and freedom of speech.

I may not like what you say, but I will defend your right to say it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post