I'm as yet undecided
I have no idea, hell, I'd don't even know why I'm voting
[Show Results]

Holocaust Denial ........ A Crime?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2012, 09:33 PM
RE: Holocaust Denial ........ A Crime?
I like how many people overwhelmingly said no, yet so many gave TheArcticSage negative rep.

Hypocrite much?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
13-03-2012, 09:42 PM
(13-03-2012 09:33 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I like how many people overwhelmingly said no, yet so many gave TheArcticSage negative rep.

Hypocrite much?

Just because someone believes he has the right to say it, does not mean they believe he has the right to go uncontested.

Do you agree with the westboro baptists?
Do you agree they have a right to speak their opinion?
If they were here debating would you still contest that opinion despite a belief that they have the right to express it?

Logic much?

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Eternal's post
13-03-2012, 09:50 PM
(13-03-2012 09:42 PM)Eternal Wrote:  
(13-03-2012 09:33 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I like how many people overwhelmingly said no, yet so many gave TheArcticSage negative rep.

Hypocrite much?

Just because someone believes he has the right to say it, does not mean they believe he has the right to go uncontested.

If they were here debating would you still contest that opinion despite a belief that they have the right to express it?

Logic much?
Not sure who they are. I am guessing a religious group that denies the holocaust.
Sure. Religious people all say stupid shit. Holocaust denial is actually far more tangible than most of the nonsense they talk about, now that I think about it.
Yah I would probably argue against them.

However, I wouldn't down-rate them for it. Some people here think climate change is a hoax, but I don't down-rate them either. And to me that is a far more prevalent issue. The history is in the past, so who really cares?
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
13-03-2012, 10:04 PM

Hypocrite much?

No, not hypocritical. TheArcticSage has the right to profess his idiotic, shallow beliefs, as do Egor and KC. I have the freedom to disagree with their beliefs and to say so.

Openly disagreeing with them is the opposite of hypocritical. Maybe you need to check the definition of the word.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-03-2012, 10:20 PM
(13-03-2012 09:50 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(13-03-2012 09:42 PM)Eternal Wrote:  

Hypocrite much?

Logic much?
Not sure who they are. I am guessing a religious group that denies the holocaust.
Sure. Religious people all say stupid shit. Holocaust denial is actually far more tangible than most of the nonsense they talk about, now that I think about it.
Yah I would probably argue against them.

However, I wouldn't down-rate them for it. Some people here think climate change is a hoax, but I don't down-rate them either. And to me that is a far more prevalent issue. The history is in the past, so who really cares?

They are the ones who wave god hates fags signs at the funerals of American soldiers. Nothing to do with Holocaust denial as far as I am aware.

You may say you would not down rate them for it, that is the beauty of freedom of speech, we don't have to have the same standards.

Lots of people care about history, just because you are not one of them does not mean it is any less relevant. Some people hold the belief that it is important for humanity to learn from its mistakes.

As an afterthought would you not say that a baseless accusation of Hypocrite is an attempt to down rate someone?

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
13-03-2012, 10:39 PM

Hypocrite much?

They have their freedom to give me a negative reputation. Just as I have my freedom to choose not to care. I already put Sol and Eternal on the list of trolls, and I'm not going to be 'driven off' by them. I get the opinions here I would likely not have, though I did come to the conclusion long ago that just because some people are atheists, doesn't mean they're critical thinkers. That was one of the saddest discoveries in my entire life. Sad
13-03-2012, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2012 10:46 PM by kineo.)
I don't think it's hypocritical to support peoples' ability to speak their mind and still disagree strongly with what that person says.

I think that rep should be for behavior/attitude rather than opinion- but that's my position. If others want to give neg rep for being so strongly against another person's viewpoint, then that's up to them. I don't make the rules. But I don't think it's necessarily hypocritical. Neg rep doesn't take away anyone's ability to post or speak their mind.
(13-03-2012 10:39 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  though I did come to the conclusion long ago that just because some people are atheists, doesn't mean they're critical thinkers. That was one of the saddest discoveries in my entire life. Sad

This goes both ways. Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
14-03-2012, 12:50 AM
(13-03-2012 10:44 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(13-03-2012 10:39 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  though I did come to the conclusion long ago that just because some people are atheists, doesn't mean they're critical thinkers. That was one of the saddest discoveries in my entire life. Sad

This goes both ways. Dodgy

I know, I know, Sleepy that's why I am very careful about what I accept as a truth, and why I will never hold prejudices due to the fact that they inhibit the truth. If I had allowed myself to hate the Nazi's (I neither hated nor loved them, they were neutral to me), it would have taken me years to come to find out about the holocaust being a lie, just as I had allowed myself to hate Al-Qaeda and it took me 4 years more to discover that the U.S. government was behind 9/11. It was only after I discovered that 9/11 was an inside job that it opened up a doorway to consider things which may have been unlikely to be false... mainly the holocaust... which I discovered to be false only 5 months after discovering 9/11 was an inside job.

However, my ability to think critically was 4-5 years ago... and it was because of my hatred, that my ability to think critically was impaired. Making it illegal to deny the holocaust, is not only an illogical law, it also incites hatred towards holocaust deniers by deeming them criminal (in all countries that apply). I hate to say it but I think it's obvious that the holocaust story incites hatred towards the Nazi party... so should it not also be illegal for people to claim the holocaust happened?

14-03-2012, 05:12 AM

Hypocrite much?

Conflate much ?
14-03-2012, 02:38 PM
(13-03-2012 10:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Hypocrite much?

No, not hypocritical. TheArcticSage has the right to profess his idiotic, shallow beliefs, as do Egor and KC. I have the freedom to disagree with their beliefs and to say so.

Openly disagreeing with them is the opposite of hypocritical. Maybe you need to check the definition of the word.

People said they have the right to make such a claim, and then give him a negative reputation. That is obviously hypocritical...maybe you need to look up the definition.