Poll: A more theologically neutral calender...
Yea
Nay
Hmm...
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Holocene calendar...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Holocene calendar...
I have been using my own "Drop the Millennium" calendar ('015 or 015 vs 2015) which would be practical (at least for informal use) for the next thousand years, but the Holocene calendar (sic) is an alternative, more universally applicable scheme I recently happened on. I would be interested in thoughts others might have on the practicalities of implementing either, especially as regards database complications - remember the horrors of Y2K?:

(From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_calendar

"... The Holocene calendar, also known as the Holocene Era (HE) or Human era, is a year numbering system that adds exactly 10,000 years to the currently world-dominant ... Common Era (CE) system, placing its first year near the beginning of the Holocene epoch and the Neolithic revolution. Human Era proponents claim that it makes for easier geological, archaeological, dendrochronological and historical dating, as well as that it bases its epoch on an event more universally relevant than the birth of [a particular deity]. The current year of [CE] 2015 can be transformed into a Holocene year by adding the digit "1" before it, making it 12015 HE. The Human Era was first proposed by the scientist Cesare Emiliani in 1993, or HE 11993.[1][2][3]

Also: http://hol.sagepub.com/content/current
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jeroboam bramblejam's post
24-05-2015, 04:41 PM
RE: Holocene calendar...
I still think we should be using 1859 as year zero.

Before Charles
After Darwin

Welcome to TTA Mr Bramblejam

Smile

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
24-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Honorable... but a bit too math intensive for commoners.
25-05-2015, 12:18 AM
(24-05-2015 05:18 PM)jeroboam bramblejam Wrote:  Honorable... but a bit too math intensive for commoners.

Dodgy

You know *why* we use the Gregorian calendar (apart from the whole pope Greg thing)? 'Cos it's convenient. Who gives a flying fuck about how it originated? If you're just gonna add a 1 in front of the current year then you're *still* pegging the date of a Christian base, just trying to hide that fact, and creating needless confusion where there was none before.

Hey do you wanna reform the metric system next? Add a 1 in front of every length measurement? You can call them Human Metres and liberate them from any revolutionary origins.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-05-2015, 04:36 AM
I don't really care. I'm just too lazy. I see no reason to change to another calender. I guess if the entire world used the same calender some things would be more easy but then again I don't think it's actually a problem as it is now.
25-05-2015, 05:03 AM
(25-05-2015 12:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-05-2015 05:18 PM)jeroboam bramblejam Wrote:  Honorable... but a bit too math intensive for commoners.

Dodgy

You know *why* we use the Gregorian calendar (apart from the whole pope Greg thing)? 'Cos it's convenient. Who gives a flying fuck about how it originated? If you're just gonna add a 1 in front of the current year then you're *still* pegging the date of a Christian base, just trying to hide that fact, and creating needless confusion where there was none before.

Hey do you wanna reform the metric system next? Add a 1 in front of every length measurement? You can call them Human Metres and liberate them from any revolutionary origins.

Thank you, Sir, for that informative reply. Sadly, I wasn't interested in being informed of your uncivil and disparaging nature. The atheists I know are Humanists, and so have respect for their fellow humans, and an abiding curiosity about our world. I would kindly disinvite any future reaction from what, after all, is a self-admitted "morondog".
25-05-2015, 05:11 AM
(25-05-2015 04:36 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I don't really care. I'm just too lazy. I see no reason to change to another calender. I guess if the entire world used the same calender some things would be more easy but then again I don't think it's actually a problem as it is now.

"... I don't really care. I'm just too lazy."...
But sadly, not lazy enough to just scroll down to the next entry without posting a completely unhelpful response. Please, if you don't care, don't post.
25-05-2015, 05:31 AM
(25-05-2015 05:03 AM)jeroboam bramblejam Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 12:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  Dodgy

Thank you, Sir, for that informative reply. Sadly, I wasn't interested in being informed of your uncivil and disparaging nature. The atheists I know are Humanists, and so have respect for their fellow humans, and an abiding curiosity about our world. I would kindly disinvite any future reaction from what, after all, is a self-admitted "morondog".

I have respect for people who are worthy of the same. By your priggish bullshit you show yourself unworthy. I encourage you to fuck yourself Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-05-2015, 05:36 AM
(25-05-2015 05:11 AM)jeroboam bramblejam Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 04:36 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I don't really care. I'm just too lazy. I see no reason to change to another calender. I guess if the entire world used the same calender some things would be more easy but then again I don't think it's actually a problem as it is now.

"... I don't really care. I'm just too lazy."...
But sadly, not lazy enough to just scroll down to the next entry without posting a completely unhelpful response. Please, if you don't care, don't post.
Yes it's so very sad that I did take the time to say that I wouldn't bother to change something that I don't care about. And it's also so very sad that you found it unhelpful. I thought you had a poll so I voted (so far it seems I'm the only one) and then gave a reason for why I don't want to change the calender. But also say that I don't really care if it would be changed.
But you know if you didn't like my answer your could also just as well have skipped it instead of getting half insulted that I said something. The world isn't just for and against you know. Sometimes people just don't care either way. That too can be valuable information.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
25-05-2015, 05:49 AM
(25-05-2015 05:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 05:03 AM)jeroboam bramblejam Wrote:  Thank you, Sir, for that informative reply. Sadly, I wasn't interested in being informed of your uncivil and disparaging nature. The atheists I know are Humanists, and so have respect for their fellow humans, and an abiding curiosity about our world. I would kindly disinvite any future reaction from what, after all, is a self-admitted "morondog".

I have respect for people who are worthy of the same. By your priggish bullshit you show yourself unworthy. I encourage you to fuck yourself Smile

Interesting... A classic bully. The appropriately eponymous "morondog" exemplifies an important distinction between atheists - simply those without religion - and Secular Humanists - those who embody and practice a secular philosophy.
I appreciate your "encouragement", but if you knew anything about the science of human biology, you would understand my demur.