Poll: A more theologically neutral calender...
Yea
Nay
Hmm...
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Holocene calendar...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2015, 06:09 AM
RE: Holocene calendar...
Or you could go Trekkie...

Star date 92998.93

It's just as valid......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2015, 06:10 AM
(25-05-2015 05:49 AM)jeroboam bramblejam Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 05:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  I have respect for people who are worthy of the same. By your priggish bullshit you show yourself unworthy. I encourage you to fuck yourself Smile

Interesting... A classic bully. The appropriately eponymous "morondog" exemplifies an important distinction between atheists - simply those without religion - and Secular Humanists - those who embody and practice a secular philosophy.
I appreciate your "encouragement", but if you knew anything about the science of human biology, you would understand my demur.

Poor little you Sadcryface It must be terrible going through life being such a drip.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-05-2015, 06:34 AM
(25-05-2015 05:49 AM)jeroboam bramblejam Wrote:  I appreciate your "encouragement", but if you knew anything about the science of human biology, you would understand my demur.

I'm glad you know something about the science of human biology. It'll help you remove that stick you have lodged firmly up your ass. You really need to chill out.

Morondog is right that adding 10000 to the year still leaves it pegged to the Christian dating system. Changing to a new system would be a lot of work, even for such a seemingly simple change as this, and doing that for no real benefit doesn't seem worthwhile.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
26-05-2015, 07:13 AM
The main practical benefit of a Holocene calendar world be to clear up the mess of pseudo-negative numbers known as BE/BCE. But I think it's unlikely that will be a practical reason for change at this point.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
26-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Idealistically, I am all for it. In practical terms, meh, it doesn't really matter.

But I am a geologist, so most of my discussions of time already involve the geologic timescale with no mention of any deity.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick