Holy Grail for Deconversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2012, 02:14 AM
RE: Holy Grail for Deconversion
(12-04-2012 02:07 AM)micdhack Wrote:  Erxomai you have a really interesting nickname :-)

My deconversion story, involved lots of reading of pseudoscience. Hell, i rejected god only to turn to ancient astronauts which is still a fascinating idea but without evidence. Eventually i kept reading all kinds of pseudoscience which seems a lot better than real science because it reads easier and you can make as many baseless claims as you like. Eventually, having read enough i started becoming more critical just because some of the claims seemed too absurd but it wasn't til i actually learned how real science works that my deconversion was complete.

I've met a number of Atheists today that still believe in homeopathy, 911 conspiracy and so on. That's why i still believe that deconverting from Christianity is far from learning critical thinking.
Well you know, I come AND go, and I'm Eric, Oh my.
I followed a similar path, into pseudoscience and ancient astronauts and ancient technology, only to find it was just a Station on my way away from the cross. But it's still fun to think about and imagine scenarios. I can't say the same about how I feel when I think about Christianity. Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2012, 07:53 AM
I really think that a lot of people who claim to believe in the Christian god have really not given it much thought. Many are raised in a certain faith and it just becomes "what we do". Since you are surrounded by people who claim to believe, you don't challenge it. In fact, questioning is frowned upon. It's upsetting to the believers to have their "beliefs" challenged. It seems that the following of a faith is more tradition and habit than it is a deep belief that has been seriously thought out.

My first memory of doubting was thinking to myself, one day at mass, do I believe this or was I told I believe this. That stated things rolling for me as I started trying to make sense of what I was being taught. I had never been asked what I believed...I was told...repeatedly, what I HAD to believe.

It's also easier, as many of us know, to just keep going through the motions. Being one against many takes internal strength.

Getting away from religion is such a different journey for each of us. There is no one fix fits all.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
14-04-2012, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2012 05:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
I just ask them how the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is even conceivable or imaginable, let alone tenable. ... Usually works with the fundies to at least get them out of my face, not so much with the Buddhists, though - they just keep smiling at me. [Image: Cowering.gif]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.