Holy Pharmaceuticals Batman!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2016, 02:58 PM
Holy Pharmaceuticals Batman!
So I got me the type 2 diabeetus and my A1C started drifting up into the sevens and eights even with the metformin. So Doc adds in Invokana and Januvia. A1C drops to 5.3% so the meds work as advertised. I got coupons so I get both of them free for a year (metformin is already pratically free). So I check what they cost without the coupons or insurance at Costco. $420/month for the Invokana and $380/month for the Januvia. $800/motnh, $9600/year just for those 2 drugs!?!?! Add in another $400/month for Androgel and I'm looking at $14400/year just for those 3 meds!?!?! Hobo

I would seriously be fucked if I didn't have insurance.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-01-2016, 03:03 PM
RE: Holy Pharmaceuticals Batman!
I pay that much to have insurance. Thanks Obama.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2016, 03:06 PM
(09-01-2016 02:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I would seriously be fucked if I didn't have insurance.
That is USA for you.
09-01-2016, 03:14 PM
(09-01-2016 02:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So I got me the type 2 diabeetus and my A1C started drifting up into the sevens and eights even with the metformin. So Doc adds in Invokana and Januvia. A1C drops to 5.3% so the meds work as advertised. I got coupons so I get both of them free for a year (metformin is already pratically free). So I check what they cost without the coupons or insurance at Costco. $420/month for the Invokana and $380/month for the Januvia. $800/motnh, $9600/year just for those 2 drugs!?!?! Add in another $400/month for Androgel and I'm looking at $14400/year just for those 3 meds!?!?! Hobo

This is one of the reasons I am more than happy to pay taxes in the UK. Although I also have great medical insurance (through work) to go private if I need to.
09-01-2016, 03:20 PM
(09-01-2016 02:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So I got me the type 2 diabeetus and my A1C started drifting up into the sevens and eights even with the metformin. So Doc adds in Invokana and Januvia. A1C drops to 5.3% so the meds work as advertised. I got coupons so I get both of them free for a year (metformin is already pratically free). So I check what they cost without the coupons or insurance at Costco. $420/month for the Invokana and $380/month for the Januvia. $800/motnh, $9600/year just for those 2 drugs!?!?! Add in another $400/month for Androgel and I'm looking at $14400/year just for those 3 meds!?!?! Hobo

Just so you know, there's been a lot of warning ads on Invokana lately here. You might want to look it up.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
09-01-2016, 03:23 PM
(09-01-2016 03:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 02:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I would seriously be fucked if I didn't have insurance.
That is USA for you.

Thanks to the TPP that's soon to be lots more places too.
09-01-2016, 03:23 PM
10 years ago in Barranquilla, Colombia I had triple by pass surgery. After that I went to Mississippi to work on construction, which I have done most of my life. No health insurance. I had to go to a doctor every 90 days for lab work $120 for the doc, $120 for the lab work. Another $8.00 daily for my drugs. With the strangle hold the AMA has on the health care system in the USA one cannot buy medicine without a prescription. Right at $4000 annually for my health needs without any emergency. But I discovered that I could fly to Panama and be picked up at the airport by a friend and go to a doctor there for $32.00 (an endocrinologist) and $18 for lab work and buy the pills for about half of US prices. Even including the air fare it was less costly to do that 3 times a year than "The American Way" Then one day the much maligned Walmart decided to sell a month's supply of many generic drugs for $4.00 each. That totally changed the equation. Now here in the Dominican Republic my medicines cost me about $40.00 USD a month no prescription needed. I can stick my finger as needed or take my own blood pressure. As a retiree I would be eligible for medicare in the USA, but living outside the country it isn't valid here so I opt out!
09-01-2016, 03:49 PM
(09-01-2016 03:23 PM)I Am Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 03:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  That is USA for you.

Thanks to the TPP that's soon to be lots more places too.
Oh, I haven't been keeping abreast of TPP
Just found this article, seems something to be wary of
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics...ed-by-tppa
09-01-2016, 03:50 PM
(09-01-2016 03:20 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Just so you know, there's been a lot of warning ads on Invokana lately here. You might want to look it up.

I've seen 'em. Girly ain't afeared. Its MOA is to inhibit reuptake of sugars into the kidneys and I piss out some 500Kcal/day. That means I lost 40 lbs so far. Most obvious concern that I can think of is what effect does that have on the kidneys? I get labs quarterly. My kidney function so far is fine after 9 months on it.
And the drug's only been out for a year or three. Doesn't seem long enough to establish grounds for a class action suit.

#sigh
09-01-2016, 04:07 PM
(09-01-2016 03:03 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I pay that much to have insurance. Thanks Obama.
I will pay $5000/year on premiums this year and my employer covers the other 75% to bring it to $20000/year. It has been this way for the 30 years I have worked for this employer. The only effect the ACA has had on me is that my kids are covered until they are 26 instead of 22 and it doesn't require proof of enrollment at an accredited university.
What did you pay before Obamacare?

#sigh