Holy Pharmaceuticals Batman!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2016, 08:44 PM
RE: Holy Pharmaceuticals Batman!
(09-01-2016 08:39 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 07:58 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  It's based on how much you make. I don't qualify for any subsidies, I pay full price.

Well, that could be it then. I'm in a lower middle income bracket. Sad

Sorry. Weeping

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
09-01-2016, 09:50 PM
(09-01-2016 08:44 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 08:39 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Well, that could be it then. I'm in a lower middle income bracket. Sad

Sorry. Weeping

No worries dear. I live very comfortably. I own my own home, have a nice mid-luxury car, next to no debt, eat out, go to show, travel some and come and go as I please. If I live long enough to retire I will retire to a cabin on the lake and be quite comfortable. No complaints about my place in class. Shy

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
10-01-2016, 04:31 AM
My insurance is mediocre at $500/mo - I picked the least expensive plan offered because my son and I are rarely sick.

Copay - $45, including each visit to a therapist (it's why I quit going, couldn't afford it). Psych was free and copay was $30'on my ex's plan.

STD test I got from my OB/GYN - $200 out of pocket- I'll be standing my ass in line at the health department next time it's necessary to go that route, would have loved to know that beforehand, just didn't take the time to read the 1000 pages of fine print and had no idea it was gong to be so much

Meds filled at employee pharmacy - $5 copay ($15+ anywhere else) for everything I've gotten so far. No complaints there - it used to cost me $50/mo just for birth control

NP clinic at work - FREE!!! (minor complaints like lower UTIs, eye infections, sinus infections, strep throat, basically the only reasons I go see a doc...)

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
10-01-2016, 06:57 AM
(09-01-2016 04:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 03:03 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I pay that much to have insurance. Thanks Obama.
I will pay $5000/year on premiums this year and my employer covers the other 75% to bring it to $20000/year. It has been this way for the 30 years I have worked for this employer. The only effect the ACA has had on me is that my kids are covered until they are 26 instead of 22 and it doesn't require proof of enrollment at an accredited university.
What did you pay before Obamacare?

How about your grandpa, could I be your grandpa and be covered?
10-01-2016, 07:18 AM
(09-01-2016 03:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 02:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I would seriously be fucked if I didn't have insurance.
That is USA for you.

That's corporations for you.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
10-01-2016, 07:23 AM
(09-01-2016 04:40 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 04:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Did your employer cover the other 75% like mine? If not what kind of coverage did you have for $230/month? Complete waste of money would be my bet. Like an extended warranty on a Hyundai.

I am my own employer so I bought my own policy through Humana. I had a high deductible, but I never go to the doctor and I'm relatively young. My prescription plan was fine and I got free preventative things such as flu shots, etc. It was great, now I get less and pay five times more.

That's cause you weren't paying a fair share for your coverage, and that you were taking advantage of the fact that you were young and healthy.

If you continued at this rate, once you were older, and weren't as healthy, your premiums would likely be much higher than you're paying currently under Obamacare, with other insurers picking up a considerable degree of your cost.

The things you have to fight against in managing healthcare costs, are aspects like adverse selection, where some such as yourself swap your coverage according to your age and health when necessary, driving up cost for everyone else, rather than paying your fair share.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
10-01-2016, 07:33 AM
You will all use every penny you paid into it and a LOT more if you get cancer. You do know cancer happens - a LOT?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-01-2016, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2016 03:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-01-2016 05:39 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Is your coverage at 20k for a family of 4 or more?

Yeah, but it doesn't matter whether it was a family of 2 or a family of 20. I have a choice every year between a dozen or so different plans ranging from $330/month to $1100/month.

(10-01-2016 07:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  You will all use every penny you paid into it and a LOT more if you get cancer. You do know cancer happens - a LOT?

My appendix burst at 35 and wasn't diagnosed or treated for 14 hours. There's pain and then there's dying. Spent two weeks on a serious intravenous cocktail of drugs to combat the peritonitis. That was like a $50,000 bill to the insurance company and $100,000 if I didn't have the benefit of an insurance company negotiated rates. Without insurance I'd still be paying that off 20 years later.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-01-2016, 04:26 PM
(10-01-2016 07:23 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 04:40 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I am my own employer so I bought my own policy through Humana. I had a high deductible, but I never go to the doctor and I'm relatively young. My prescription plan was fine and I got free preventative things such as flu shots, etc. It was great, now I get less and pay five times more.

That's cause you weren't paying a fair share for your coverage, and that you were taking advantage of the fact that you were young and healthy.

If you continued at this rate, once you were older, and weren't as healthy, your premiums would likely be much higher than you're paying currently under Obamacare, with other insurers picking up a considerable degree of your cost.

The things you have to fight against in managing healthcare costs, are aspects like adverse selection, where some such as yourself swap your coverage according to your age and health when necessary, driving up cost for everyone else, rather than paying your fair share.

That's pure and utter bullshit.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
10-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Not sure who knows and doesn't know this but:

There is a cash credit at drs offices and hospitals when you don't have insurance. It saves them time and money if they don't have to go through the insurance process which takes a couple of months to a year depending.

You can call your doctors office and ask what the cash discount is, the standard is 40-55% for office calls and sometimes different at labs (sometimes nothing at labs). And always ask for sample drugs. They get tons of samples. Also, any prescripts you get, go to the website of the drug manufacturer and sign up for free samples directly from them.

Hospitals:
Hospitals have a cash discount too and they also over charge/mischarge a lot! If you're paying your bill yourself (even if you're making payment arrangements) you can get a cash discount.

1st - Ask for an itemized detail, not just a list of charges. Many errors are here from coding typos or mistakes. Go over every item, dispute anything in error and anything over charged (if they charge you $30 for facial tissues, negotiate this to $5). Then when you've squeezed every credit you can. Ask for a copy of the revised charges. Only when you get this take it to the bookkeeping department and ask for your cash discount (do not mention at that time if you need payment arrangements) just get your best deal settled. It should be 60%-75% less.

Then ask for your payment arrangements. The law says that as long as you are making some sort of payment they cannot post it as a bad debt on your credit BUT if you miss a payment they can add back some of the charges to your bill agreement. They will send your account to a collection company so they do not have to track it. The collection company has to go by your agreement with the hospital.

I negotiated an overnight stay and tests that was a 15k bill to $2600 bill, then made payment arrangements for a two year payout. I doubled up my payments the last 6 months and they gave me a $100 credit for early payoff. Smile

I hope this info helps someone.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post