Holy crap. The US just about did itself in !

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Holy crap. The US just about did itself in !
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/se...olina-1961

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-09-2013, 01:51 AM
RE: Holy crap. The US just about did itself in !
Oh goody, I've been waiting for the time when all the Cold War secret documents legally have to be declassified.

That would have been a bit of a booboo.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
21-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Can't say I'd miss North Carolina too much.

"... lethal fallout could have been deposited over Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and as far north as New York city"

But it wasn't.

I suspect Bruce Willis played a part in this.

Thanks, Bruce. Thumbsup

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
21-09-2013, 06:48 AM
(21-09-2013 02:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Can't say I'd miss North Carolina too much.

"... lethal fallout could have been deposited over Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and as far north as New York city"

But it wasn't.

I suspect Bruce Willis played a part in this.

Thanks, Bruce. Thumbsup

It was likely Steve McQueen or John Wayne. Dodgy

We may never know. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Obviously this prove that Soviet engineering is far superior to that of the capitalist dogs.
Soviet bombs would never have failed as shitty American bomb did; Soviet plane wouldn't fail either.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-09-2013, 07:45 AM
(21-09-2013 06:54 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Obviously this prove that Soviet engineering is far superior to that of the capitalist dogs.
Soviet bombs would never have failed as shitty American bomb did; Soviet plane wouldn't fail either.

Likewise grorious berahved, reriabre Korean missires:

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
21-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Wow, would have put a devastating rift in the world tobacco market but certainly no Hiroshima like death toll. I drove up i95 next to Goldsboro a couple of hours ago. I wonder how close I was to the precise spot? Instead of the tar heel we'd be known as the ashtray state.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
21-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Hello, new poster.

While I find the artical kind of interesting (Not being a native to the country in question, it's just kind of an academic read) what does surprise me is the way the article is presented.

Lots of "OhmaGERD! Fallout!" and hand waving about just the possibility of radiologicals.

Instead of "A huge frikkin PLANE fell out of the sky! With pieces of wreckage, not to mention fuel or entire engines, etc raining down upon people.

The weapon load is rated as 32 tones.

The whole plane is weighted in at 160 tones! That's a LOT of metal to come falling out of the sky.

But...the reporter only seem to be worried about the "OhmaGERD! Fallout!" aspect. Not whether any of the crew survived. Or if any of that boring 160 tones of plain old metal traveling at rather high kinetic speeds impacted any one on the ground.

Predictable journalism, I would say.
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
21-09-2013, 02:16 PM
(21-09-2013 07:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 06:54 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Obviously this prove that Soviet engineering is far superior to that of the capitalist dogs.

Likewise grorious berahved, reriabre Korean missires:

Long. Kolean prease.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
21-09-2013, 02:38 PM
(21-09-2013 01:58 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  But...the reporter only seem to be worried about the "OhmaGERD! Fallout!" aspect. Not whether any of the crew survived. Or if any of that boring 160 tones of plain old metal traveling at rather high kinetic speeds impacted any one on the ground.

From the article: As it went into a tailspin, the hydrogen bombs it was carrying became separated. One fell into a field near Faro, North Carolina, its parachute draped in the branches of a tree; the other plummeted into a meadow off Big Daddy's Road.

If the planes broke up, the pilots most likely ejected prior to crash... but if they didn't eject, then they died in service of their country.

Chances are the planes' flight paths were generally over secluded or unpopulated areas, such as farmland or open beach. Practice runs are done that way to avoid such catastrophes or at least "minimize" them. Where I live, we're all about farmland - Kansas is one big flight path. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein