Home Arsenal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2015, 10:12 AM
RE: Home Arsenal
something to be said for the old Browning watercooleds, eh???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Slightly better pic of my Chex mix (camera instead of cell phone, didn't have a way to upload it earlier today).
[Image: EFFKWxK.jpg]

Two M249 light machine guns, a few empty ammo drums, a bottle of CLP, and a whole lot of happiness lying all over the ground. We were just getting started Smile
[Image: MkHaQLj.jpg]

(17-05-2015 10:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  something to be said for the old Browning watercooleds, eh???

For sure. To be honest, I'm not much of a fan of the 249. .556 isn't ideal for suppressing anyone with any kind of cover but the 249 is too heavy to be useful as an individual weapon for anything other than spray and pray, yet still not heavy enough to be a real workhorse like the 240B. A few minutes of shooting, and it's about ready to start cooking off rounds on it's own. That's a problem for something you intend to use for more than a five minute engagement. There's really only two things it's good for: Keeping heads down via something you can shoulder fire if you really, really need to by means of ammo which is going to be plentiful since it's what our individual weapons typically use, and for burning through a lot of said ammo when you don't want to fuck up your rifle doing it.

Our unit doesn't even have 249s, which brings me to the best part of today. All those rounds we went through? Those aren't even our 249s lol. Someone's gonna be pissed come weapon cleaning time. But hey, that was the price of having us run the zero range Tongue No regrets. I did a lot more shooting this weekend than I could afford to do on my own :/ I mean I have the ammo to do it, if I wanted, but it's not quite as easy for me to replace. I'm saving that for the zombies.

'Murican Canadian
18-05-2015, 05:08 AM
In my experience -- .223 does have some advantages over larger calibers.

I've actually found it superior to .308 or 30-06 for whitetail deer - when using FMJ bullets as comparison.

I find that .308 and 30-06 simply go clean through - and leave a small hole - that barely bleeds out. It seems the heavier bullet is simply too stable.

The .223 on the other hand being barely stable (I'm using 55 grain fmj in a 1-9 twist) yaws like crazy on impact. I've never had one go fully through a deer but have found the remains of the bullet in the hide on the far side from impact - twisted almost beyond recognition - with half it's original mass. Internal shrapnel everywhere. What this says - is it's utilizing all of it's energy potential. When a bullet passes through - all energy is lost.

The upside - for .223 - it tends to drop a deer in it's tracks -- where the .30 caliber stuff - the deer run for quite a ways.

Of course all this could change using a soft point bullet.

Again -- just my opinion based on observation.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-05-2015, 05:20 AM
Yeah I'm fine with it in a rifle. I've just never felt .556 was ideal for a light machine gun.

'Murican Canadian
18-05-2015, 05:24 AM
I wonder why they abandoned the watercooleds???

Seems you could keep weight at minimum by using carbon fiber for the jacket... Fill with any available water - put down a wall of lead....

18-05-2015, 05:26 AM
If you want your 55 grain fmjs to do crazy things after impact you should probably be using a 12 twist. Your 1 in 9 twist barrel is a compromise that allows for shooting longer bullets, but isn't optimal for either the 55 or 62 grain stuff.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
18-05-2015, 05:50 AM
As it was, the water cooled Browning was like 100 pounds, even heavier than our .50 cal. Probably a beast when set up at a fixed position. The 249 only weighs about 20 pounds, so having a squad carry one on foot is more realistic. The 240B that my unit uses is roughly 10 pounds heavier. I personally think the extra weight is well worth the extra power and reliability. But, as it is, infantry who intend to operate primarily on foot usually carry the 249, while spoiled scouts like myself rely on the 240B as our primary suppressive machine gun. If we dismount we either take it with or go without it and just rely on our rifles for suppression. We could fire our.50 cal or our Mk 19 from a bipod, but they can only be reasonably carried disassembled and spread out between a few people.

'Murican Canadian
18-05-2015, 08:12 AM
(17-05-2015 08:41 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Our unit doesn't even have 249s, which brings me to the best part of today. All those rounds we went through? Those aren't even our 249s lol. Someone's gonna be pissed come weapon cleaning time. But hey, that was the price of having us run the zero range Tongue No regrets. I did a lot more shooting this weekend than I could afford to do on my own :/ I mean I have the ammo to do it, if I wanted, but it's not quite as easy for me to replace. I'm saving that for the zombies.

I think I have ~3500 rounds of .223/5.56 for the zombie apocalypse; most are M193, about 1200 are M855, ~500 are HP, 200 are soft point.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-05-2015, 09:56 AM
(18-05-2015 05:26 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  If you want your 55 grain fmjs to do crazy things after impact you should probably be using a 12 twist. Your 1 in 9 twist barrel is a compromise that allows for shooting longer bullets, but isn't optimal for either the 55 or 62 grain stuff.

The older 1-12 twist barrels did best with 52 grain in my experience.... I've tried heavier -- and my rifle simply doesn't like heavier bullets -- 55 g seems about best... Oddly - my best friend has an identical rifle -- only a thousand or so different in serial number --- and his shoots the 69 grain very well..... Same twist....

Weird - but some guns just work that way....

Only way to know is to try 'em all and find out what works...

18-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Ooo I got throwing knives and a bow and arrows. Not sure if throwing knives are legal in my state anymore, huh. Shhhh...

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell