Home Repair

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Home Repair
My house in Virgina is currently occupied by renters. On Friday, the hot water heater went out...which also somehow affected our breaker panel. Tenants couldn't stay there, so they went to a hotel. My home warranty couldn't get out until Tuesday because of snow, and then said they won't cover me because it looks like the heater was installed improperly, and the total cost to fix is 3grand.

So I got a different plumber and electrician that will do everything for $1750. LUCKY ME. My tenants also asked if they could deduct $50 a day off the rent for each day they couldn't be at the house. This wasn't their fault and I understand this sucked, so I said yes. So they were out of the house for 5 days- $250.

When it's all said and done....$2000!!! Super duper Facepalm

Guess it could have been worse...I could be out 3000 Weeping

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2014, 03:27 PM
RE: Home Repair
(05-03-2014 03:21 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  My house in Virgina is currently occupied by renters. On Friday, the hot water heater went out...which also somehow affected our breaker panel. Tenants couldn't stay there, so they went to a hotel. My home warranty couldn't get out until Tuesday because of snow, and then said they won't cover me because it looks like the heater was installed improperly, and the total cost to fix is 3grand.

So I got a different plumber and electrician that will do everything for $1750. LUCKY ME. My tenants also asked if they could deduct $50 a day off the rent for each day they couldn't be at the house. This wasn't their fault and I understand this sucked, so I said yes. So they were out of the house for 5 days- $250.

When it's all said and done....$2000!!! Super duper Facepalm

Guess it could have been worse...I could be out 3000 Weeping

ugh, sorry to hear about your troubles, man. Rental property is a real bear sometimes. If you own multiple rental properties, I would highly recommend finding a reliable "handy man". The guy we use is a jack of all trades. He can do almost any job that can be handled by 2 people. (I'm usually the second person and worthless other than to hand him tools, help him move stuff, hold lights, etc) and he's always cheaper than hiring a specialized pro.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
05-03-2014, 03:57 PM
RE: Home Repair
(05-03-2014 03:21 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  My home warranty couldn't get out until Tuesday because of snow, and then said they won't cover me because it looks like the heater was installed improperly

Make them tell you in writing what was wrong with the installation and explain how that contributed to the failure.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post