Home brew experiences!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2015, 02:12 PM
Home brew experiences!
Wassup fellow alcohol lovers, I've recently started my first ever home brew which finished fermenting today and should be ready to bottle up within 2-8 more weeks (depending how I feel about the taste!) It's a simple White wine (Chardonnay).

I'm still a noob to the whole thing and would really want to brew some ales when I've had a little more experience. Hopefully some of you guys will give some insight into brewery or just share your own personal experiences.

Thanks Smile

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
26-01-2015, 02:45 PM
RE: Home brew experiences!
I've been home brewing beer for almost 30 years.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-01-2015, 02:47 PM
(26-01-2015 02:45 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've been home brewing beer for almost 30 years.

I want to try home brewing but I'm easily distracted and would probably blow the place up. Weeping

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-01-2015, 02:49 PM
(26-01-2015 02:45 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've been home brewing beer for almost 30 years.

For personal gain? What types of beers have you made? I saw a christmas pudding ale today at the local, sparked my interest in ales.

26-01-2015, 02:57 PM
(26-01-2015 02:49 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  

For personal gain? What types of beers have you made? I saw a christmas pudding ale today at the local, sparked my interest in ales.

Yes, for personal use...husband is waaaaaay more into it than I ever was.

I've done mostly ales from barley wine to ESB. I have done my share of lagers, but they're problematic due to being on the west coast and not havng colder temps. I have made more than my share of California Common or Steam beers.

26-01-2015, 02:59 PM
(26-01-2015 02:47 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  

I want to try home brewing but I'm easily distracted and would probably blow the place up. Weeping

It's not anything like distilling.

You can't blow shit up. Tongue

26-01-2015, 03:02 PM
(26-01-2015 02:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 02:49 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  For personal gain? What types of beers have you made? I saw a christmas pudding ale today at the local, sparked my interest in ales.

Yes, for personal use...husband is waaaaaay more into it than I ever was.

I've done mostly ales from barley wine to ESB. I have done my share of lagers, but they're problematic due to being on the west coast and not havng colder temps. I have made more than my share of California Common or Steam beers.

Interesting. I'd have though it would be fairly easy to alter an environment in order to control temperature. E.g using the cellar to keep it cool and such.

Do you have a favourite?

26-01-2015, 03:15 PM
(26-01-2015 03:02 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 02:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yes, for personal use...husband is waaaaaay more into it than I ever was.

Interesting. I'd have though it would be fairly easy to alter an environment in order to control temperature. E.g using the cellar to keep it cool and such.

Do you have a favourite?

Lagers require a constant temp of around 42 degrees. When I lived in California we had a wine cellar that stayed in the 50s year around.

Here, our basement area is closer to 49 in the winter months and in the 60s during the summer.

I used a modified refrigerator to lager in, but a 5 gallon glass carboy takes up a lot of space. Also, the time factor lagering takes many months. As opposed to a few weeks for an ale.

Mead takes, like a barley wine, a year or more to ferment out.

Lately, I've been gravitating toward the Belgian styled beers.

Husband did try making a lembic once or twice. The first though had a sad demise when the carboy was dropped during one of our moves.

I was releaved that I didn't have to worry about the lingering odors, because it was dropped at the "old house".

The second was very successful.

26-01-2015, 03:53 PM
This is great. Thanks for sharing your insight. Mead is one I'm definitely interested in brewing, but a year?! Jeez. I think I better start off with simple ones and build my self up. I'm only young and still in education so I live with my parents in a small house, would be difficult for me to use anything artificial to control temperatures. Tis why I started off with such a simple brew.

26-01-2015, 04:11 PM
(26-01-2015 03:53 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  This is great. Thanks for sharing your insight. Mead is one I'm definitely interested in brewing, but a year?! Jeez. I think I better start off with simple ones and build my self up. I'm only young and still in education so I live with my parents in a small house, would be difficult for me to use anything artificial to control temperatures. Tis why I started off with such a simple brew.

Mead is easy to make, takes around an hour from boil to primary fermentation. Secondary fermentation is what takes a long time.

You typically tho do those in smaller batches 2.5 gallons is good. Smile

But yeah it takes forever.

Ales are good for home temps. You can brew a lager yeast beer at ale temps, that's how you end up with a California Common (Steam beer)